Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think it simply depends on what style of vapor your going to be...if your going the mtl , kind of higher nic route, lower juice consumption, than a lower power device might suit you better. If your going for the dtl, low nic, high juice consumption route, than a higher power device might be best...most shops push the latter because they have more stock in the high power, juice guzzling devices and they like juice sales. Besides pods , they dont sell quite as much low power, high nic mtl devices, so sometimes your options are the higher power devices. But a mod is just a battery, so you can get a high power mod and simply use a mtl tank also.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Either or. You have to weigh the pros and cons of each and decide which has more value to you.

A high wattage device does not mean you have to vape at HIGH wattage. It is also no more complex than a low wattage device. A higher wattage device does allow flexibility at the cost of size. If starting out, and unsure of whether you prefer Mouth To Lung vaping or Direct To Lung vaping, maybe that flexibility is of value to you. But a low wattage device is smaller, and more pocketable so perhaps that is of value to you.

Both require attention to the batteries being used and using the device within the limitations of those batteries.

What are you interested in?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
too-many-choices-not-sure-where-to-start_large-jpg.831787

%E5%B0%8F%E7%83%9F.jpg

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Concerning batteries, you'll need to consider whether to use an "internal" (not removeable) battery device or an "external" (removeable) battery device. Both have their pro's and con's.

lipo-or-18650_large.jpg

Internal Battery (Lipo) or External Batteries (18650)? Which type is right for you?

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

The atomizer, tank, or pod is the portion that actually holds the juice/coil and makes the vapor.

MTL (mouth to lung) style have a tighter draw similar to a cigarette. Generally use higher ohm coils and lower wattages (7 - 13 watts) and are more conservative in the juice consumption. Models include the Innokin Zlide and Zenith, and the Aspire Nautilus.​

DTL (direct to lung) style have a looser draw for more vapor production. Use lower ohm coils and higher wattage settings (20 - 100 watts) and consume more juice. Models include just about everything else.​

Last edited:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
If you do opt for a device which requires batteries (sold seperately) then get batteries with a high Amp rating. That way, even after using them constantly for months on end and they've started to lose their ability to hold a charge, they will still have an Amp rating which would be high enough to vape with safely.

A battery's Amp rating degrades from use, along with the ability to hold a charge.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Either or. You have to weigh the pros and cons of each and decide which has more value to you.

A high wattage device does not mean you have to vape at HIGH wattage. It is also no more complex than a low wattage device. A higher wattage device does allow flexibility at the cost of size. If starting out, and unsure of whether you prefer Mouth To Lung vaping or Direct To Lung vaping, maybe that flexibility is of value to you. But a low wattage device is smaller, and more pocketable so perhaps that is of value to you.

Both require attention to the batteries being used and using the device within the limitations of those batteries.

What are you interested in?
Let me put a caveate on this. If you tend to be a low wattage vaper considering buying a high wattage device. Find out what the lowest wattage setting the device can do is. Not sure it is still true now but there was a time a couple of years ago I had a hard time finding anything at the local vape shop that went below 15 watts. Otherwise there is no reason you cant put a mouth to lung (MTL) tank on a high wattage device and run it at lower wattages.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Let me put a caveate on this. If you tend to be a low wattage vaper considering buying a high wattage device. Find out what the lowest wattage setting the device can do is. Not sure it is still true now but there was a time a couple of years ago I had a hard time finding anything at the local vape shop that went below 15 watts. Otherwise there is no reason you cant put a mouth to lung (MTL) tank on a high wattage device and run it at lower wattages.

I’ve never seen a device with a 15 watt min cap but do not doubt such devices exist. Modern devices I have seen seem to have, on average, a min wattage of 5 watts.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
When transitioning from smoking, there is no guarantee that any vape device and or vape method is going to work. There will be a level of experimentation and with that, there has to be a level of acceptance that something may not work for an individual. Difficult to cover all aspects with a single device - therefore new users should keep an open mind. But what is beneficial with vaping over other nicotine delivery methods, is the many products and methods available that can cater individual needs – that to me, is why it is more successful, and the reason why I vape!!

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
too-many-choices-not-sure-where-to-start_large-jpg.831787

%E5%B0%8F%E7%83%9F.jpg

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Concerning batteries, you'll need to consider whether to use an "internal" (not removeable) battery device or an "external" (removeable) battery device. Both have their pro's and con's.

lipo-or-18650_large.jpg

Internal Battery (Lipo) or External Batteries (18650)? Which type is right for you?

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

The atomizer, tank, or pod is the portion that actually holds the juice/coil and makes the vapor.

MTL (mouth to lung) style have a tighter draw similar to a cigarette. Generally use higher ohm coils and lower wattages (7 - 13 watts) and are more conservative in the juice consumption. Models include the Innokin Zlide and Zenith, and the Aspire Nautilus.​

DTL (direct to lung) style have a looser draw for more vapor production. Use lower ohm coils and higher wattage settings (20 - 100 watts) and consume more juice. Models include just about everything else.​
That makes me DTL Setting with MTL Draw,,. Sometimes DTL Draw

Cant do high ohm unless its a pod,,, then I wear out the battery with dtl :)

Gotta have my ming tips,,, brings it all together,,, i can surely see the popularity of the chuff tips for dtl,, but I'm pretty sure I would damage my face/teeth misjudging bringing it up,,, yeah I'm clumsy that way :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I guess the few things that would really help would be to get an idea of what you're looking to do. Is this to stop smoking? How much do you smoke and for how long? Do you want it to sorta mimic a cigarette or have you seen people blowing out lots of vapor and want to do that?

Those bits of information will help a lot at sketching out some rough ideas of what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread