Is mech/unregulated more enjoyable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Hi everyone,

I've recently made the switch to reconstructible, and my adv is a Dead Rabbit SQ on top of an istick Melo. I'm thinking about getting a squonk mod, but most of them are unregulated.
I don't know how a mech or unregulated would be better than a regulated, I'm actually using mine in bypass mode to get used to it in case I ever come to use one.
I also know lots of cloud chasers use high end mech modes. Is it for the better direct conductivity, and faster fire up, due to a lack of chipset?

Basically, would it be more enjoyable, or at least as much, for a not-veteran-but-curious vaper?

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I also know lots of cloud chasers use high end mech modes. Is it for the better direct conductivity, and faster fire up, due to a lack of chipset?
Not anymore. At one time, a mech mod was just about the only way to get enough power to make serious cloudz. That is no longer true. These days, multi-cell regulated mods can produce far more power and faster ramp up than a mech mod.

Still, there are things about mech mods that are appealing. Simplicity, reliability, small size, etc...

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
its not more enjoyable,its different

if you decide to go full mec ?? study up on your ohms law and careful with choice of batteries

I actually am very careful. I've read lots of articles by Mooch and Baditude, and even when building my coils I double check ohm's law calculations for the battery I have in my 521 tab mini (even though I know the minimum resistance, I always check, just to be sure I remember correctly)

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
LostVape has a regulated squonker - 75 watt DNA. The pulse just came out with an 80 watt squonker thats affordable. Rig mod RSQ is a decent regulated squonker.

The DOTMOD squonker is NOT mechanical even though it's sold as one, it has a wire that's been shorting out on people after a couple months of use.

The REO is a good squonker that's fully mechanical.

JOYETECH came out with a regulated squonker that sucks.

These days there's a couple good regulated choices for squonk mods and more are coming out every day..

I'd get the BF Lost Vape and be happy, and watch more come out in time.. you don't have to get a mechanical unless the features of a mechanical are what your looking for.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
LostVape has a regulated squonker - 75 watt DNA. The pulse just came out with an 80 watt squonker thats affordable. Rig mod RSQ is a decent regulated squonker.

The DOTMOD squonker is NOT mechanical even though it's sold as one, it has a wire that's been shorting out on people after a couple months of use.

The REO is a good squonker that's fully mechanical.

JOYETECH came out with a regulated squonker that sucks.

These days there's a couple good regulated choices for squonk mods and more are coming out every day..

I'd get the BF Lost Vape and be happy, and watch more come out in time.. you don't have to get a mechanical unless the features of a mechanical are what your looking for.

My local B&M will get the Pulse soon btw, I'm really looking forward to this one!

I don't know much about the Lost Vape brand, only that their mods are quite expensive (thanks DNA chip)

Surprised to hear about the Dotmod though, it looked like a really high end brand :eek:

Thanks for the references!

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    why yes it is !! but i wouldn't suggest it to a new to squonking newbie tho,maintenance might be a little over whelming
    What kind of maintenance are you doing on your REO?
    All I've had to do for 4 years is rinse them off and keep No-Ox-Id on the contacts.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    For us Mech users most of us find a Mech to be a much better Vape. A good quality Mech will provide an excellent, smooth vape whether you are a DTL or MTL user.

But before using them you must know and adhere to the simple but extremely important rules.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Many people prefer the vape from a current-generation regulated mod to that of a mechanical mod. The major difference is that a regulated mod will provide a consistent vape throughout the battery charge, while the vape on a mech will get cooler as the battery discharges. Of course, some people enjoy the variation.

As Rossum said, a lot of the mech reputation for being stronger or better is no longer true. It comes from a few years ago when regulated mods were less powerful. That's not to say there aren't legitimate reasons for liking mechs. One of the features that appeals to me is that they're much simpler devices that should still be possible to make if overbearing regulations ever wind up banning vaping devices. 'I'm curious' and 'I just like it' also strike me as perfectly valid reasons for using mechs.

mackman

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2013
    NorCal
    For a DNA squonker this is also a good option, $64 after MAP code:
    $99.00 Authentic HCigar VT Inbox V3 75W TC VW APV Box Mod - 1-75W / 200-600'F(100-300'C) / 1*18650 / built-in 7ml Squonk Bottle at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Agree, the HCigar Inbox is a proven regulated squonker (Evolv DNA75). It will take a beating and keep on performing and Evolv will warranty the board for a year no questions asked (best customer service out there). Still use a V1 and V2 and never had a single problem.

denali_41

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    What kind of maintenance are you doing on your REO?
    All I've had to do for 4 years is rinse them off and keep No-Ox-Id on the contacts.
    cleaning,replacing the + tab,adjusting for different atys so on n so on
    not everybody has a perfect 4 year run

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 2, 2017
    Suffolk UK
    1528656917226.jpg

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    I think everyone who enjoys the hobby aspect of vaping should try a mechanical mod. Lots of reading, learning and question asking needs to be done, but it's not rocket science. You'll surely hear how dangerous they are, but they're actually as safe as any other mod. In some cases, they're safer.
    In the hands of someone too disinterested to bother reading and learning, who wants to push the limits and exceed the ratings of their batteries...then yes, they're dangerous . But for those people, crossing the street is probably dangerous.

Mechs will give you a better understanding of how vaping works. Do they provide a better vape? That's arguable....but doubtful. But with proper care, they'll last as long as you will and they're waaaaay prettier.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Regulated is more enjoyable to me.

This question is like asking, which method of eating an apple is more enjoyable to you.
    Wash, peel, remove seeds, slice, put peel & seeds in recycle bin or trash, eat.
    Wash and just take a bite out of a whole one. Toss the core when finished.

With salt or without...

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
    France
    Regulated is more enjoyable to me.

This question is like asking, which method of eating an apple is more enjoyable to you.
    Wash, peel, remove seeds, slice, put peel & seeds in recycle bin or trash, eat.
    Wash and just take a bite out of a whole one. Toss the core when finished.

With salt or without...

The answer is sure subjective, I just wanted to hear from all sides to get a better sense of what kind of mod I'll try when I finally decide to get a new one.

(Not answering the quote anymore)

Also, thanks everyone for the links! I'm kind of on a budget atm so I'm not buying another for now, but I'll dig into all your suggestions and do my reading thoroughly!
    I started out vaping thinking it'd just be a replacement for my nicotine fix, but I've stepped up my game since with my RDA, and I'm not willing to stop there!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread