Is mouth to lung dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
It seems like everywhere I go all I can find are direct to lung (DTL) atomizers.

I started using ecigs ten years ago to reduce the harm to my body and I vaped like I smoked, mouth to lung (MTL). For me ecigs are a direct replacement for regular cigarettes and anything beyond that is not really needed. I don't want to do DTL because I am perfectly satisfied with what I get from MTL. Sure blowing out huge clouds is cool looking, but my MTL atomizers produce a lot more vapor than cigarettes made smoke so that's good enough for me.

This is the only squonking atomizer I have found that even comes close.

Origen Little Style Silver 316SS 16mm RDA Rebuildable Atomizer

If anyone knows of a good MTL squonking atomizer please let me know.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Actually I think mtl is making a come back. Many return to or take up mtl after vaping for several years. The ebb and flow of individual vaping styles is an interesting concept to watch on this forum.

I was about to say the same thing. MTL is not for me but it is for alot of people. To each their own. I obviously can't give any advice on MTL devices. Sorry.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
It just depends on what you're looking for. I know for RDA's many that are for DTL can be turned down to MTL, like the Derringer or heck even the Twisted Messes 1 can be turned to a super tight draw. Now the flavor may be hit or miss but it can be done.

I think many have decided it's easier to build a device that can do DTL but cut down than to do a MTL only. It can be a pain trying to find the ones that work well for both though. So much stuff is on the market, a lot of it is just a jack of all trades instead of being a master at one.

Still hard to beat a Nautilus or a Kayfun for MTL, to me. It will cycle around though I do believe, especially if squonking keeps gaining more steam.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
It seems like everywhere I go all I can find are direct to lung (DTL) atomizers.

I started using ecigs ten years ago to reduce the harm to my body and I vaped like I smoked, mouth to lung (MTL). For me ecigs are a direct replacement for regular cigarettes and anything beyond that is not really needed. I don't want to do DTL because I am perfectly satisfied with what I get from MTL. Sure blowing out huge clouds is cool looking, but my MTL atomizers produce a lot more vapor than cigarettes made smoke so that's good enough for me.

This is the only squonking atomizer I have found that even comes close.

Origen Little Style Silver 316SS 16mm RDA Rebuildable Atomizer

If anyone knows of a good MTL squonking atomizer please let me know.

I did DTL with both cigs and pipes all the years I smoked. So I have never done MTL vaping. Just different strokes, my style.

Unfortunately I did buy a bunch of MTL atty's years back. None of mine are clones like the one you linked to (IOW I have 4 authentic O-16's). But another clone you might check out is one of the Mark Bugs Chalice III's (I have 6 III's and 1 II Chalices that are all top shelf MTL atty's but crap for DTL).

$8.59 Chalice III Styled Bottom Feeding RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 14mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$8 and change is give away for a clone of a $150 atty.

Chalice III's on Reo 1.0's & 2.1's, and the Chalice II on a Reo 14500 Woodvil.
T2.jpg

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
There are some new MTL atomizers coming onto the market, but the majority being DTL. The reason probably being that the market is being driven by big number wattage wars. It's difficult to sell a 200+ watts mod to someone who vapes at 15 watts.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
The problem is money. When someone walks into a vape shop to try this vaping thing, they set them up with a sub ohm kit because they know they'll sell them 4x as much juice. After that, people will tend to stick to whatever they've been using without thinking of all the extra money they're wasting on juice.

I can remember when a light smoker was advised to use 12mg juice and a heavy smoke 24 - 36mg. Now they're all starting with 3-6mg. So people use 4x as much juice to get the nicotine they need. I personally think it's the biggest failure of the vaping community. People are inhaling far more chemicals than they need to and creating ridiculous clouds that only serve to further ostracize us. Even I will take a few steps away from someone honking on one of those things.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The problem is money. When someone walks into a vape shop to try this vaping thing, they set them up with a sub ohm kit because they know they'll sell them 4x as much juice. After that, people will tend to stick to whatever they've been using without thinking of all the extra money they're wasting on juice.

I can remember when a light smoker was advised to use 12mg juice and a heavy smoke 24 - 36mg. Now they're all starting with 3-6mg. So people use 4x as much juice to get the nicotine they need. I personally think it's the biggest failure of the vaping community. People are inhaling far more chemicals than they need to and creating ridiculous clouds that only serve to further ostracize us. Even I will take a few steps away from someone honking on one of those things.

Probably a main reason. None of the local vape shops carry any ejuice above 6 mg and all recommend 3 mg. You have to order higher online to get it around here.

But the bad news for those shops is a lot of their customers soon learn they can make their own juice for around $1 a bottle.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Probably a main reason. None of the local vape shops carry any ejuice above 6 mg and all recommend 3 mg. You have to order higher online to get it around here.

But the bad news for those shops is a lot of their customers soon learn they can make their own juice for around $1 a bottle.
Lack of available higher nic juice was the final push I needed to jump into diy.

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
Thanks everybody!

You guys have given me some good leads on atomizers to try. I've got a Viper coming, but the Chalice III atomizers are sold out at both 3FVape and FastTech. I entered my email address so they will notify me when they are back in stock. I found a place that sales the real Chalice III for $155.00 so I can go with that if I can't get a cheep one.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I like to simulate smoking as much as possible. Like food, a fine wine, whisky or pipe tobacco, I like a vapor that I can taste when reaches my tongue. I like to pause for a moment, and savor the flavor before inhaling it. IMO, that's the mark of truly great vape. DTL vaping is a completely different dynamic... More associated with the younger non-former smoker 'cloud chaser' crowd.

Boy, I'm opinionated tonight! I'd also like to point out that if you're vaping varied selections in a single evening, don't exhale through your nose. 1. It saturates your sinuses which offsets the other flavors. 2. It makes you look like a kook! I like to clean my palate with a soda cracker and carbonated water before starting on a new flavor.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I realize that, but DTL seems to be better for getting maximum expansion for cloud chucking.
For some yes, not for all. I dtl my smokes and found mtl incredibly frustrating and never would have kept vaping if I hadn't stumbled upon dtl. I am a mature woman who vapes at 23w on most of my rta's and am quite frankly getting tired of the slams I continually read about dtl and/or cloud chasers. We started vaping to quit smoking and share the same struggles as mtl vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread