Is my 18650 Charger faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimZet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2015
Try to plug other battery into the charger if its making noises than its the charger, if not than get urself other battery.

Usually 18650 chargers can be used for any battery , so u can use diff battery to check it.

In case if its making noises without battery try to replace it with the warranty u got when u bought it, dont use it, if u do make sure u r near it while charging to avoid fire etc...

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Those chargers are known for some of them having a coil in them that can resonate at audible frequencies - they *all* resonate, it's just that manufacturers put potting compound or hot glue around certain components to change the resonant frequency.

If you can live with the noise, then put it a bit further away from you where it won't bother you so much - if you're a bit handy, and have a hot glue gun, I could dig out some images which show you where to apply the hot glue to damp down the resonance.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
It's to do with the resonance in the inductor windings that they all have - sometimes the frequency can be into the audible range more than on others.

^^^ That. Some inductor coils are made better than others too. Never heard any inductor noise on my xtar chargers.

Reactions: CassiusCloud

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
You can use polyurethane instead of glue. Inducter windings use thousands of winds, usually enameled wire in Audio applications,, in time ambient moisture adds to corrosion of wire. Also a surge can melt a few wires adding havoc. Actually potting should be done at the manufacturing stage to insure longevity.
I usually use hot paraffin to pot guitar pickups that i make..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread