Is my charger safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killahz

Nov 12, 2013
Illinois
I was doing some research on chargers, batteries, and such for my sigelei mech mod. Due to the recommendations from the helpful folks here at EFC, i got an ohm meter, an AW IMR 2000mah battery (over my ultrafire), and 30awg kanthal. I have a charger for my battery, but I'm a little concerned on the safety/overcharging aspect of it. I posted a link to something similar to my charger below. Is this a safe charger? What ohm range would you recommend for my battery? Also, I have an RSST genesis tank. Sorry if I've been annoying anybody lately, it's just that safety is my MAIN/PRIMARY concern with EVERYTHING, and I would like advice from those more experienced than I. One more thing, does it really matter what kind of mech mod I have, or are they all the same?

Battery Charger

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have a charger for my battery, but I'm a little concerned on the safety/overcharging aspect of it. safety is my MAIN/PRIMARY concern with EVERYTHING, and I would like advice from those more experienced than I. One more thing, does it really matter what kind of mech mod I have, or are they all the same?

Battery Charger

As with most gear used in vaping, about everything we use is made in China. There is a wide variety in the quality of this gear, and specific manufacturers are known to make higher quality gear than no-name generic gear made by who knows who?

The charger you linked to is a cheap $6 generic bottom-of-the-barrel charger of unknown quality made by an unknown manufacturer. Think about it. If you are truly concerned about the safety to yourself and those in your household, purchase the highest-quality, name-brand charger that you can afford. Most reported battery incidents occur while a battery is being charged. Don't skimp on quality batteries and don't skimp on a quality charger. I suggest an "intelligent" charger.

Pila, Xtar, and Nitecore are the most trusted manufacturers of chargers made for personal vaporizers. RTD Vapor is a trusted vendor of batteries and chargers for PV's.

The quality of personal vaporizers varies, also. A mechanical mod has no built-in protective circuitry like a variable voltage PV has:

• On/Off Mode
    You can put the regulated PV in standby mode so it will not turn on the atomizer when the button is pressed. This safety feature prevents the atomizer from turning on while it's in your pocket or bag and it prevents any settings from getting changed without you knowing.

• Timed Auto Cutoff
    If the button is held down for XX seconds or longer, the PV will shut itself off until the button is released. If you forget to turn it off before storing it in your pocket or bag, this protects you and prevents the device from activating.

• Atomizer ProtectionShort Circuit/Atomizer Protection
    This protects the PV against shorted atomizers/cartomizers. If this error occurs the PV will alert you by displaying error code on the digital display.

• Reverse Battery Protection
    Protects against reverse battery installation.

• Battery Monitoring/Over-Discharge Protection
    The PV monitors the battery voltage and will automatically turn off when the battery is discharged.

• Amperage Limiting
    The PV will monitor and shut itself off if it detects any excessive over-current conditions.

• Thermal Monitoring
    Shuts the device off if it detects a high temperature condition. Once the device cools off, it will resume normal operation.

The only safety features (if you can call them that) a mechanical mod has are:

• A collapsable hot spring (which some mechanical mods do not have) designed to collapse in the event of an over-heated battery to break the electrical circuit.

• Vent holes to allow hot gases escape from an over-heated venting battery to prevent a metal tube mod from literally becoming a pipe bomb.

• Lockable mechanical fire button to prevent unintentional firing of the fire button and preventing over-discharge of the battery.

Mechanical Mod Proper Usage Guide

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread