Is my setup bad or are mechanical mods just not for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raguvian

Verified Member
Dec 21, 2014
Houston
Hey guys,

I finally got a regulated mod - an IPV Mini (I'll refrain from posting more pics of it since I've kind of plastered it in like 3 different threads already :p ), but ever since I've started using that, my mechanical mod is just so unsatisfying.

I'm using an Infinite Tree of Life clone with an AW IMR 18650 2000 mah battery. I'm getting far less flavor and vapor out of it compared to the regulated mod. Is it due to having a bad setup, or am I just not suited for mechanical mods? I'm asking because I don't want to spend more money on another mech and find out it also isn't as good as the regulated mod.

I am not really into cloud chasing or sub ohming as much as I am into flavor. I like using .8-1.5 ohm coils, but it's just not hitting well on the TOL. I tried a super sub-ohm setup at the local vape shop. It was some crazy 24g dual coil build on a doge rda and it was just an extremely hot, kind of unpleasant vape.

Should I stick to regulated mods from now on or should I give mechanical mods another shot? Thanks!

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
I found that once I decided to go Mech I had to be willing to do my due dilligence...reading and coil building/experimenting.

It took me a little effort to get where I wanted to be and I sometimes still change coil and wick design but in the end I'm happy I took the time to dive in.

The final decision is up to you but if you pay effort into it you will get results out of it.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
What are you building your 0.8-1.5 ohm coils on? (Which atomizer?) And using what AWG wire?

I have a ToL clone and would only use that kind of ohm coil on a Kayfun. That would be usually 28AWG wire.

For my Magma I use a single coil 0.5ohm (using 22AWG), for Orchids or Aqua V2 I would use either 25 or 26AWG (single coil 0.7 - 0.8ohm, dual coil 0.35 - 0.4ohm). None of my setups are 'hot vapes'.

I am not sure of your battery limits, so they may not be suitable for the lower end of the spectrum, so you should really find out what the current drain limits are for continuous use first.

Raguvian

Verified Member
Dec 21, 2014
Houston
What are you building your 0.8-1.5 ohm coils on? (Which atomizer?) And using what AWG wire?

I have a ToL clone and would only use that kind of ohm coil on a Kayfun. That would be usually 28AWG wire.

For my Magma I use a single coil 0.5ohm (using 22AWG), for Orchids or Aqua V2 I would use either 25 or 26AWG (single coil 0.7 - 0.8ohm, dual coil 0.35 - 0.4ohm). None of my setups are 'hot vapes'.

I am not sure of your battery limits, so they may not be suitable for the lower end of the spectrum, so you should really find out what the current drain limits are for continuous use first.

I've been using an EHPro Veritas RDA. It hits so much better on the IPV Mini. I built the coil using 28g wire. Even my big dripper at .7-.8 ohms, dual coil 28g kanthal doesn't work so well on the TOL.

The AW IMR has a 10 amp continues discharge, so I don't like going under .5 ohms.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
With a mechanical mod the battery is essentially the engine, using a battery that has a 10A limit on it is hindering the possible performance you could be getting. The IPV is different because the "engine" is adjustable and the coils you make don't have to be as exact to your preferences since you can fine tune things a bit with the adjustments on the IPV device. With the mechanical you have to use the coils to build to your preference since there are no other adjustments, you're really hampering yourself with only being able to build to a certain resistance level. My personal advice would be to get your hands on some better batteries, like the Samsung 25R or LG HE2 with which you can build much lower in resistance, this will allow you to give mechanical mods a full test and not cheat yourself on the experience.

Reactions: Smoggymike

Raguvian

Verified Member
Dec 21, 2014
Houston
With a mechanical mod the battery is essentially the engine, using a battery that has a 10A limit on it is hindering the possible performance you could be getting. The IPV is different because the "engine" is adjustable and the coils you make don't have to be as exact to your preferences since you can fine tune things a bit with the adjustments on the IPV device. With the mechanical you have to use the coils to build to your preference since there are no other adjustments, you're really hampering yourself with only being able to build to a certain resistance level. My personal advice would be to get your hands on some better batteries, like the Samsung 25R or LG HE2 with which you can build much lower in resistance, this will allow you to give mechanical mods a full test and not cheat yourself on the experience.

Thanks, I'm thinking of ditching these AW batteries. I really do not like them. I have a 25R in the IPV Mini and will probably pick up another pair soon. The Samsung definitely hits harder in the mech but I haven't ventured into anything less than .5 ohms yet. I will see how I enjoy the mechanical mod with a lower ohm build before giving up on it.

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Funny, I'm finding myself the opposite. Been using regulated for 5 yrs, just picked up a couple mechs(Viggo&SMPL)to play around with and surprised myself with a pleasant flavorful vape. Nothing wild, 28g .3-.6 builds with sammy 25r's. I have a couple magmas, a vape jam atty and an aqua 2 that have given very good results.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Mech mods are great given the battery you are using but becoming obsolete with the current regulated mods coming out. I would still say even with a regulated mod like the ivp3 you should still use batteries with a 20 amp continuous discharge rate.
Mechanical mods will definitely slow down in sale due to regulated boxes but they will never become obsolete IMO, there are too many people out there that don't want to fiddle with electronics when they pick up their device plus the feel of a small tube mod is preferred by a number of people. Regulated mods will never be as compact as the smallest 18650 tube mods and the power that those small tubes can pack is significant. The reliable consistent performance a mechanical mod offers is hard to beat, personally I don't want to have to turn anything on or check my settings or anything, I just want to pick up my device and push a button once and have it work every time.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
Thanks, I'm thinking of ditching these AW batteries. I really do not like them. I have a 25R in the IPV Mini and will probably pick up another pair soon. The Samsung definitely hits harder in the mech but I haven't ventured into anything less than .5 ohms yet. I will see how I enjoy the mechanical mod with a lower ohm build before giving up on it.
Had a similar experience with my Magneto. Didnt perform well. Then I put a .5 coil on a Holmes with the Magneto and WOW! Amazing vape. So good that I will be buying a second mech even though I own about 6-7 regulated mods. From this experience, the coil is key (along with battery used).

Raguvian

Verified Member
Dec 21, 2014
Houston
I found that the AW IMR batteries, even off a fresh charge, hit very weak even with a .5-.6 ohm build. I'm pretty sure those batteries are toast. I bought 2 more Samsung 25R batteries so I'm hoping that'll help. I tried a Boost 40A battery at the vape shop in my mechanical mod with my .7 ohm build and wow it hit hard. I'm really hoping the new batteries will help me love my mechanical more, because as much as I absolutely love my IPV Mini, there's something about the simple looks and operation of the mechanical that makes me not want to give up on it.

EvilGenius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
nj
i'm using dual coils 26 gauge kanthal a1 wires on a diablo by el diablo with a mutation x v2 rba
i get .7 ohms total with both coils and i get alot of vapor and not excessive heat HOWEVER i do notice some little bubbles on the mod itself, i didnt see it at first but i am assuming its from the clear coat they used to paint the graphic and those are air bubbles, they arent noticable until you are staring at it very close but it kinda bothers me, you should see how i am with my car :)

can anybody confirm if i'm correct about those bubbles? - UPDATE - i just got a confirmation that it is a air bubble from the vendor i bought it from, waiting to see if there's a way to fix it myself

also about your post, maybe try different ejuice or its every one of them because i had issues with halo tribecca on my mech mod but other juices i tried were fine

Hey guys,

I finally got a regulated mod - an IPV Mini (I'll refrain from posting more pics of it since I've kind of plastered it in like 3 different threads already :p ), but ever since I've started using that, my mechanical mod is just so unsatisfying.

I'm using an Infinite Tree of Life clone with an AW IMR 18650 2000 mah battery. I'm getting far less flavor and vapor out of it compared to the regulated mod. Is it due to having a bad setup, or am I just not suited for mechanical mods? I'm asking because I don't want to spend more money on another mech and find out it also isn't as good as the regulated mod.

I am not really into cloud chasing or sub ohming as much as I am into flavor. I like using .8-1.5 ohm coils, but it's just not hitting well on the TOL. I tried a super sub-ohm setup at the local vape shop. It was some crazy 24g dual coil build on a Doge RDA and it was just an extremely hot, kind of unpleasant vape.

Should I stick to regulated mods from now on or should I give mechanical mods another shot? Thanks!

Last edited:

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
I found that the AW IMR batteries, even off a fresh charge, hit very weak even with a .5-.6 ohm build. I'm pretty sure those batteries are toast. I bought 2 more Samsung 25R batteries so I'm hoping that'll help. I tried a Boost 40A battery at the vape shop in my mechanical mod with my .7 ohm build and wow it hit hard. I'm really hoping the new batteries will help me love my mechanical more, because as much as I absolutely love my IPV Mini, there's something about the simple looks and operation of the mechanical that makes me not want to give up on it.
Make sure all of your connections are clean and you don't have any battery rattle. That will make for a weaker hit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread