Is nicotine bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrlakeman

Mar 25, 2015
Good article. in todays society people automatically assume if it isnt good for you its classified as bad and not acceptable in society. I think nicotine is one of those things thats been chumming with the death sticks for so long that when ppl hear nicotine they think cancer causing substance. Atleast this article trys to clarify whats going with nicotine and smoking etc. I think its no worse than caffiene in coffee, melatonin in sleep aids in moderation there perfectly safe.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Can you elaborate DeAnna?

Just the simple fact that nicotine constricts the blood vessels indicates that those with high BP, heart problems, blood clotting, narrowing of arteries and circulatory problems..those people should exercise caution on their use of nicotine. Someone who has health problems such as the examples listed should educate themselves on how nicotine MAY effect their health problems so they can safely make informed decisions about their level of nicotine consumption.

Again i am not talking about a healthy individual nor am i saying that nicotine does not have it's benefits or harmful in general, but for someone who has certain health problems, they need to be more vigilant given. Strawberry's are a healthy thing to eat, but someone who is allergic to it could prove life threatening. A slice of cake is harmless for most, but for a diabetic it could be enough to send them into a dangerous situation...because they have health conditions to take into account.

Nicotine in a healthy individual is one thing, but those who have health problems need to be very careful and educate themselves on how nicotine may interact with their health issues.
Can you elaborate DeAnna?

I think this is true of anything we put in our bodies. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but if I had high blood pressure, or another cardiovascular condition, I'd educate myself on the effects nicotine, as a stimulant, could have, as that could be an issue. Then again, this goes for sugar, salt, and caffeine, so as a blanket stance, DeAnna seems to be right on the money.
I'd advise anyone who does not already have a nicotine addiction to avoid the stuff, being dependent on a chemical is unpleasant, in my experience. If a person who did not smoke, or had not otherwise developed an addiction to nicotine wanted to get into vaping, I'd suggest that 0mg juices would be the way to go. If it's a question of some of the research regarding Alzheimer's Disease, and the beneficial properties some studies have shown nicotine to have in reducing and delaying symptoms, I'd do my research regarding how solid those findings actually are, and speak to a doctor or three about all the possible health effects, and medication interactions that might come up, as I would with any treatment regime.
If you're a smoker, tobacco chewer, or snuff user, I have not seen a single thing to indicate that vaping is more harmful than those nicotine sources, and, at least in regards to smoking, would have a hard time believing that vaping is not a safer alternative.

**YMMV< Iam not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. THis message was brought to you by the Ontario Association of One Guy Living in a Basement.

Reactions: Joe Gordon

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Just the simple fact that nicotine constricts the blood vessels indicates that those with high BP, heart problems, blood clotting, narrowing of arteries and circulatory problems..those people should exercise caution on their use of nicotine. Someone who has health problems such as the examples listed should educate themselves on how nicotine MAY effect their health problems so they can safely make informed decisions about their level of nicotine consumption.

Again i am not talking about a healthy individual nor am i saying that nicotine does not have it's benefits or harmful in general, but for someone who has certain health problems, they need to be more vigilant given. Strawberry's are a healthy thing to eat, but someone who is allergic to it could prove life threatening. A slice of cake is harmless for most, but for a diabetic it could be enough to send them into a dangerous situation...because they have health conditions to take into account.

This. Nicotine can have harmful effects upon certain individuals with certain issues. And in large doses it is toxic and CAN be fatal in very large doses. yes there can be and likely are some beneficial side effects as well.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Nicotine in a healthy individual is one thing, but those who have health problems need to be very careful and educate themselves on how nicotine may interact with their health issues.
You can say it about practically anything. So what?

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Thanks DeAnna (and PlayingwithFire) for responding. I would certainly like to know more about the affects of nicotine on individuals with health issues. I myself have been on blood pressure meds for about 5 years now and vaping for almost two, was a semi heavy smoker before that for 28 years. I do think it's wise to be cautious and for someone with health issues it's going to be difficult for them to find reliable information to help them make wise decisions in regards to their health. There is so little hard evidence out there in regards to nicotine and what makes it even more confusing is that there are tons of other things that can cause the same conditions that nicotine may be accused of, stress alone can cause so many issues. I do believe that lots of health conditions get incorrectly blamed on tobacco and that will now carry over to nicotine use because the two are inseparable in some minds. So I find it difficult to navigate this field, how will I know that any doctor I talk with will actually know the true affects of nicotine minus tobacco? I don't think many doctors do know.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
It is an anecdotal evidence but I am on meds for high BP too and vaping doesn't cause my BP to raise no matter how high ml/mg I am using nor how long.

Echocardiography, blood pressure, and heart rates were examined to determine myocardial function.

The scientists found that:
  • After smoking one tobacco cigarette, acute myocardial dysfunction was clearly detected
  • After using an electronic cigarette for 7 minutes, no adverse effects on cardiac function were detected
  • After smoking a single tobacco cigarette, heart rate and diastolic blood pressure both went up considerably
  • Using an electronic cigarette for 7 minutes raised diastolic blood pressure very slightly.

Source - Electronic Cigarettes Not Linked To Heart Damage - Medical News Today

Reactions: pennysmalls

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
After I saw your post I thought "I'm gonna do just that", but then another thought occurred. Every person is different, but your idea is great for someone looking for a baseline.

Every person is different but generally Nicotine does raise blood pressure. yes every person is different most can use artificial sweeteners, to me the are horrible though and leave an aftertaste for an hour or more.

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
I am going to take this article with a grain of salt and see what they say next week, and then the week after. Just like the news of having a glass of wine is good for you. Then it was bad for you. Then good for you. then bad for you. It has flip flopped so many times over the last year that I forget which one it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread