Is NYC vape-friendly... !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
... Just wondering, whether New York is a vaper-friendly city, for the most part; meaning: Are they acquainted with e-cigs a bit more than elsewhere (maybe, as it is a very touristic hot spot !?); Are they ok with you vaping at restaurants; out there? Is there any input locals or anyone who knows could give me !? Anything I should take into account...!?

Is indoors vaping legal there !?

As I am traveling there soon, any advice you could provide would be much appreciated... !!!

=)

EJH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York, USA
It is nearly impossible to generalize anything about New York City as it is a hugely varied place. I haven't been clubbing lately, but I would say vaping would be accepted in most clubs such as Webster Hall.

That said, I personally would avoid vaping in large or classier restaurants, just because the more people in a place, the more chance somebody going to get in your face about it. Heh, that is one thing you *can* generalize about New Yorkers...they aren't afraid to let you know their opinions. :) As for smaller places, ask the manager/owner/whatever.

E-cigs aren't illegal or banned in NYC, but just as anywhere, someone seeing vapor coming out of your mouth is probably going to think you're smoking until you explain it to them.

EJ

Last edited:

bigtiime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2011
Virginia
Advice, be polite! I find that most resturants I go to do allow me to vape. But, I ask a manager first. I never assume that I am allowed to vape just because it isn't smoking. Vaping is still very new and unfortunately most people see "smoke" and think smoking.

We're trying to promote vaping as a healthier alternative to smoking and encourage the members here at ECF to respect the establishments that they are in. If I don't force this on people I feel as though I've hightened their interest and not turned them off just because I thought I could do this anywhere I want to.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I havent seen one other person vaping in ny yet .Im sure some places would be ok and some not . Iv been to a few resturants where its not allowed . Havent found one where it is allowed but i stealth vaped anyway . Cant tell your vaping if theres a steaming plate of food in front of you lol . The few clubs iv been to while being a vapor i wouldnt see a issue vaping in .Not because its allowed but because they are so packed nobody would ever know .

One thing about NYC is people usually arnt paying attention to you . You could be standing there naked and most people would walk right by you without paying attention so id say vape all you want

Last edited:

MRobs23

Apr 26, 2011
Long Island, NY
I don't vape in restaurants so I can't speak to that, I just don't feel like dealing with the explanations.

However, smoking is now illegal in city parks. One day over the summer I was sitting in Madison Square Park, happily vaping away. In less than an hour I was approached by 2 parks employees and 1 cop. They all said the same thing "can't smoke here, blah blah blah." I explained it was vapor from an e-cig and they were all cool with it. The cop gave a little bit of attitude but that's how they roll. :2cool:

GrandPoobah

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
As a New Yorker, and one who has been vaping for two years now, people don't really seem to care. I vape everywhere i go. In restaurants, I would advise just holding it in till the vapor subsides... dont blow plumes. I probably would not vape at a classy joint though.

As for bars, I have never had an issue, ever. Most bars only care if they would be fined. If people ask you what it is, respond with something they will understand. Saying PV only leads to more questions. I like to say "its a nicotine inhaler."

I like to use an eGo or a small Precise for public situations as it doesn't have the cigarette look or that stupid light on the end. The main idea of course is to show that its NOT a cigarette.

flint212

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2012
New York
As a fellow new yorker myself, I would probably say it varies from place to place. I own a restaurant and wouldn't feel comfortable allowing customers to vape because of the impact it would have on other customers, especially children. I vape myself but don't do it in public places indoors. I'm sure you would find some places that would be more tolerant of it though.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
I have been discrete. Very. Sometimes I would ask, and it would be alright; they were ok. Sometimes simply vape away, some other times I would stealth-vape. Eventually would not vape at all. Depending on circumstances and context. I went the sensible road on this, and things were fine... Never had an issue.

=)

Now I'm still in the US; in Florida and vaping away... Most people won't even notice me doing this, but possibly because I am keeping things, rather, say, on the discrete side of the spectrum, if that makes sense. To avoid the "educational input", heee !!!

BTW, which is your restaurant flint212 !?

Oh, and thanks everyone for your input.

PS: In the security check-point at the ferry to the Statue of Liberty's Island, they were confused with my PrecisePlus, but once I explained what it was they were fine with it. Furthermore, a chief of security asked me to vape out of curiosity and said "That's cool and it sounds you are on the right track, man!" as I filled him in on the "safer alternative issue"... So, I am officially the first person to vape next to the statue. Ever.

=)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread