The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Is PG vegan/vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Veggie Vapers' started by boondongle, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. boondongle

boondongle Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2009
    Doylestown, Pa
    I started wondering about this, mainly because the alternative is vegetable glycerin, but I was unable to find any real answers. As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I'm wrong), VG is vegan/vegetarian safe. PG may or may not be. Anyone else thought about this or come across any answers?

2. markarich159

markarich159 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2009
    PA, USA
    PG is a synthetic organic compound. Most PG is made in an industrial process and the starting reactant is usually propylene oxide(from propylene(propene) - a component of natural gas). Some(a small percentage of PG) can come from Glycerin, but most comes from the propylene Oxide process.

3. kai kane

kai kane Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2010
    Near da water ...
    Is the glycerin-derived PG commercially available? Might be willing to pay a premium for that, if it were possibly better for the lungs.

BTW, appreciated your other posts.
    Aloha,
    kai

4. markarich159

markarich159 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2009
    PA, USA
    I'm sure it is available, but I truly have no idea how you would be able to determine the source at time of purchase. You may want to do a google search. In any case, make sure the PG you buy is verified USP grade(via certification of analysis).

5. shalimar

shalimar Full Member

May 18, 2010
    UK
    Hi, glad I found this group!

I'm a vegan and have not been vaping for long but as soon as I found out about the PG and VG I changed to VG, although the PG may be ok am not prepared to take the risk and anyway, the VG does sound a lot more healthy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.