Is Snus the best choice for smoking cessation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
vaping doesn't "cause cancer or gum disease" either.

vaping is much better for smoking cessation because the action is similar, and very familiar to smokers. When you smoked, you didn't wad up the tobacco and stick it in your lip.

Andria

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Snusers unite! :) I love that. I tried a type of Snus and I have to say, delivery: instant, light speed. It shocked me at first. I did feel a slight 'burning' sensation on my gums but I'm not using it every day so I don't know if it goes away or what. Just wondering, can you buy snus in different nicotine strengths? I should look into secondary effects, risk etc when I have the time as I suspect delivery method of nicotine is not that important for my system

Reactions: 2buildawall

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I started vaping about six years ago. I've been using snus along with vaping for about five and a half of that. I knew from reading that snus is much safer than smoking and it has been studied for many years. Andria, I think you might understand this. For me regular nicotine didn't keep me satisfied and off the smokes. Back then wta had not been made or released yet. Tobacco has the full spectrum of alkaloids that regular nic liquid doesn't. I discovered that I needed the minor alkaloids as well as nicotine to keep me satisfied and that is why I turned to snus and have stuck with it all of this time. Everyone seems to think that snus use will cause teeth and gum problems. I've been at it over five years and haven't had any issues. I get cleanings three times a year and my teeth and gums are in better shape than they ever were during 20+ years of smoking. If a person brushes and flosses like they are supposed to anyway then snus causes very little staining.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Tobacco has the full spectrum of alkaloids that regular nic liquid doesn't. I discovered that I needed the minor alkaloids as well as nicotine to keep me satisfied and that is why I turned to snus and have stuck with it all of this time.

WTA has that too. I've also needed those, so I buy WTA and mix it with everything I vape.

Frankly the idea of putting any sort of tobacco in my mouth just grosses me right out. The few occasions I had to bum a smoke from someone who had the filterless kind of cigarette, I always got tobacco in my mouth, and it's just horrible, worse than coffee grounds.

Andria

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bellingham
    Good point Robert!

AndriaD I started vaping to quit snus. So yes it was waded in my mouth. Do we know for sure that vaping does not cause cancer? Will vaping cause irreparable damage to my lungs? Honest questions, not jabs, or sarcasm. I will mention that I have the upmost respect for you and your knowledgeable contributions on ECF. I use E-liquid vendors that post their test results. I also DIY and am even considering unflavored. Vaping is still in its infancy. Long term effects, good or bad, are still unknown.

Proteckt, make sure you use Swedish snus. I do not trust the snus made by BT in the US. I only experienced burning with wintergreen and American made snus.

hittman I have never had the dentist mention anything to me regarding negative changes in my dental health. My friends that chew tobacco are constantly being told to stop by their dentists.

As an added note; I enjoy vaping and have no desire to stop.

Thank you for the comments everyone!

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Denmark
    2build, it was Swedish what I had, but I don't know whether it was too much nic in it or just the fact that it was new to me that made my gums feel that way. Anyway I'm sure if I would not have vaping I would be happy with this or technically any other NRT provided it can deliver a satisfying dose. Though I wouldn't really knew this if it wasn't for e-cigarettes, so in this respect I feel the same as you about vaping.

On another note, it's very interesting how people quit cigarettes with just a patch and others need WTA to kick smoking, others can't do it at all.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Do we know for sure that vaping does not cause cancer? Will vaping cause irreparable damage to my lungs? Honest questions, not jabs, or sarcasm.

Do you know for sure that, driving to work, you won't be rear-ended by a tractor-trailer, and die? Do you know for sure that, crossing the street, you won't be hit by a bus, and die? Do you know for sure that, the next time there's a thunderstorm, your house won't be hit by lightening?

I'm not trying to be a horse's rear end either; I'm trying to make the point that NOTHING!!! is "for sure" in life -- except having to one day leave it. You can take your chances with 4,000 toxic chemicals (many definitely carcinogenic), or you can take your chances with 3-4 chemicals and some flavors. I know which one seems safest to me! That doesn't mean that I can't still die of lung cancer -- I smoked for 39 yrs after all. But my life in the meantime sure will be a lot more pleasant, without all that nasty crap to cough up every 5 minutes, having to live half my life on the front-porch, and offending everyone I care about with my smell. Or having nasty crap in my mouth! My strawberry & cream tastes a lot better than ANY form of tobacco, and is definitely less harmful than smoking it, even at 30% flavoring. Long-term risk? I'm 54 yrs old; there really isn't that long a term left! 30 yrs if I'm real lucky! And since I quit inhaling those 4,000 toxic chemicals, I might actually GET 30 more yrs!

Asking for certainty for anything in life is asking too much.

Andria

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bellingham
    AndriaD, believe me when I say that I know there is no certainty in life.

I hope I did not offend you in any way. If I did that was not my intent in any shape or form.

What I am getting at here is that I was never more than a pack a week smoker but I am addicted to nicotine. I enjoy vaping more than using snus. I am trying to find more information regarding these two forms of nicotine delivery.

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bellingham
    Protect, Probably burned because it was new to you. I have been at it about five years now but have cut WAY back thanks to vaping. If the nic is to high you will know! You will be green in the gills and they do make strong portions. The regular General is a good snus to start or the minis if those are to strong.

Reactions: proteckt3d

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    AndriaD, believe me when I say that I know there is no certainty in life.

I hope I did not offend you in any way. If I did that was not my intent in any shape or form.

What I am getting at here is that I was never more than a pack a week smoker but I am addicted to nicotine. I enjoy vaping more than using snus. I am trying to find more information regarding these two forms of nicotine delivery.

Not offended -- though I am a bit exercised about someone in another thread who's spouting a lot of crap and insisting it's THE ONLY WAY TO VAPE CORRECTLY. :facepalm: I guess some of that annoyance carried over. :D

It's nothing to me if people wanna put tobacco in their mouths -- my grandfather AND *his sister!* dipped snuff all their adult lives. But I'd never do it myself, just nuh-uh. I get the full alkaloid spectrum with WTA; it's a bit pricey, especially at first when I used it as 10% of everything I vaped, though now that I'm down to <3%, it goes a long way.

To go completely contrary to the PERSON (for lack of a ruder word that would probably get censored and get me spanked by the mods) spouting that their way is the only way to do it correctly -- whatever works best for YOU to abstain from cigarettes, that's the only thing worth considering. What anyone else thinks is really irrelevant; only you have to live in your body and deal with its demands. :thumb:

Andria

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Andria, I thought putting tobacco in my mouth was gross too when someone suggested snus to me. I was never a dipper. However, after the first portion it was like I had been standing in the dark and someone turned on the lights. I still won't use loose tobacco. I only use portion snus. I'm like you as I think that whatever works for an individual is the right thing. I don't look down or criticize someone for what they do to stay off the smokes. If it works then it's good.

As far as vaping being safe, I think it's probably about as safe as snus. I've been doing it for a while(6 years) and I still breathe better and taste food better than I ever did as a smoker. I run and workout at least three times a week and my legs give out before my breathing does so is definitely say both are good harm reduction alternatives to smoking.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    Keep in mind that the article is an opiniom
    N piece by a snus rep.
    I do hope you understand that there are somewhere around 150 studies on snus going back decades showing that the risk of snus is insignificant. It is so low as to not show up in population studies. No cancer, no heart disease, etc. It is not just an opinion from a snus rep.

Because nothing is inhaled, as in flavorings, snus is likely a bit less harmful then vaping, though that is likely spitting hairs. Same can be said for american style dip.

WTA has that too. I've also needed those, so I buy WTA and mix it with everything I vape.

Frankly the idea of putting any sort of tobacco in my mouth just grosses me right out. The few occasions I had to bum a smoke from someone who had the filterless kind of cigarette, I always got tobacco in my mouth, and it's just horrible, worse than coffee grounds.

Andria

So... you have never tried snus, and because of an experience you had with unfiltered cigarettes (which is nothing at all like snus as snus actually taste good) you assume that snus must be just horrible. That is some pretty questionable logic,

I have found snus to be more effective, cheaper, and more readily available then WTA. Overall a much better experience.

Last edited:
    Reactions: hittman

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    So... you have never tried snus, and because of an experience you had with unfiltered cigarettes (which is nothing at all like snus as snus actually taste good) you assume that snus must be just horrible. That is some pretty questionable logic,

Has nothing at all to do with logic. Has to do with gross-out factor, which is not answerable to logic. When I was a child, I had a phobia of eating food that was touching any other food, and I ate one thing at a time till it was all gone. Logical? Nope. But to me, food that touched any other food on the plate was simply inedible.

Andria

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread