Is the Aspire Nautilus 2 really a big POS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonezAU

Mar 9, 2018
Hi,

I have only been vaping for a couple of months, haven't had a cigarette in 56 days.
I started out with a Joyetech eGO AIO - but it was not that good, so I went and bought a Cuboid Mini, then quickly realised the stock tank wasn't that good either. I then got a Nautilus mini. I love it, because MTL is my thing and it's so straight forward. The bottom fill doesn't really bother me tbh.

I then wanted a backup rig after I figured one wasn't enough, and I couldn't vape the same flavor all day, every day.

So I ordered an Apsire Zelos kit which comes with a Nautilus 2. I had read the reviews online and they were all raving about it. But the first 4 refills I did were a disaster. I had to take myself to the bathroom and wash all the e-juice off my hands, as well as wash the tank itself.

I've since watched a few videos with some really good tips about refilling the Naut 2, but so many people are whinging and moaning online about how it's such a pain in the ... to fill, but overall it's still a good tank.

I agree, once it's full and clean it's pretty good, but why is it so hard to fill and what am I doing wrong? These are the questions I have for you more experienced folks, in the hope that you can pass on more info or possibly tell me what tank I should be using since I have a nice stockpile of the Nautilus BVC 1.8ohm coils.

Are there any alternatives? I'm already sick of this thing and have only had it for a few days. I know there are other tanks that use the same coils, but when I Googled it, I was sent into a sea of garbage because all the models I found were all sold out everywhere due to them being old.

I really like my Nautilus mini, but was hoping to get something different that is similar, if you know my drift. If I have to buy another mini, I will, but what other options have I got that won't leak all over me when I fill?

Open to options for a completely different brand as a last resort, because money is a bit tight atm.

Thanks in advance. I'm not ever going to give up, I love not smelling like tobacco!

Reactions: stols001

Maytwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
SW France
Since I got a couple of Innokin Zeniths, my Nauti mini and Nauti 2 have been stashed away in a drawer. From a vaping point of view I like the Nautis but like you, the 2 in particular I found a real PITA to refill. The Zenith is so much cleaner,quicker and easier to fill. The only time I ended up with juice on my hand is when I forgot to close it after filling (so user error !!)

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
A few things. Check all your O-rings and make sure your coil is seated correctly.

I'm a bit confused about what you are saying when you say it's hard to fill. I've owned several N2s, and had no issues whatsoever and when my husband quit, I passed them on to him. Take off the driptip first when filling to release some pressure and make the metal sleeve easier to unscrew. Then, make sure the tank is seated properly, and don't fill above the "max fill" line (which is technically about 1.7 ml not 2 ml capacity. There should be plenty of space to not drip as you are filling, you just need to make sure the glass is seated snugly. You can close off the airholes, though it's really not necessary.

Filling ABOVE the fill line may cause leakage. Gently replace the glass dome, then screw the drip tip back in. You shouldn't have any leakage, and since you have more than one tank, I am going to assume this MAY be user error. But, check all those things, follow those steps, and you shouldn't have problems.

Full disclosure, these were great "quitting" tanks for me, and I still use the Nautilus coil, jjust with other tanks. I have two authentic Kabukis, and they are fantastic and bigger capacity (3 ml) but they ARE bottom fill, I usually recommend folks get a clone first from Fasttech as this tank is a great flavor tank, but not for everyone, due to fill issues and its own foibles. But, it's one of my favorite drop in tanks. . The Ijoy Elf is kind of an underappreciated gem in my opinion. It comes with proprietary coils but can take the Nautlius coils, and it "fixes" many of the design problems of the N2-- it really is a 2 ml fill, there is a protective sleeve of metal but it's a true topfill where you just unscrew the entire top and fill, and it really is 2 ml. The flavor is also slightly better in my opinion, and it's an overall less difficult tank. It might be worth a look.

Finally, the Zenith tank is a great, well designed, solid MTL tank with a lot going for it. I haven't heard of leaking from anyone. The coils are proprietary and a bit expensive, they offer a 0.8 coil which is great as well as a 1.6? 1.5? Coil which requires about 2 tankfuls to break in for flavor, while the 0.8 coil is supposed to be a flavor monster out of the gate. Topfill is one of the neatest designs I've seen so far, and very easy. It's not a "thirsty" tank and doesn't drink juice, but it's an excellent choice, just a very solid, well designed tank which gets good flavor.

Finally, I might look into a tank that takes the joytech CLR 1.0 coils (they do make lower resistance coils as well) but the 1.0 coil is one of my favorite MTL coils. Coil life is fantastic, and it can be rewicked and recoiled very easily. A couple mouth to lung tanks that take these coils would include the joyetch ego one mega V2, or the Tron-S tank, both solid MTL choices..

Best of luck I hope you are able to resolve your issues with the N2, or find a better tank that suits your needs.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You could get a Kabuki (uses the Nautilus coils but is expensive) or get the affordable Kabuki clones from Fast Tech. I have a Kabuki clone from FT. It's a bottom fill just like the Aspire Nautilus tanks. Never had any problems with mine leaking. I don't use it much any more because I've become a direct lung vaper and the air intake is too tight for my liking now.

Kabuki-styled Clearomizer Tank $11.00

Qaay

Verified Member
Sep 18, 2017
Poland
You can try S22 tank by JAC Vapour from Scotland. It's a somehow cheap, but really good quality and sleek looking tank that is not as common as chinese stuff these days... Very nice MTL experience, i didn't try DL coils but such are available also as an option.

S-22 Vape Tanks | JAC Vapour

Last edited:

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
You could get a Kabuki (uses the Nautilus coils but is expensive) or get the affordable Kabuki clones from Fast Tech. I have a Kabuki clone from FT. It's a bottom fill just like the Aspire Nautilus tanks. Never had any problems with mine leaking. I don't use it much any more because I've become a direct lung vaper and the air intake is too tight for my liking now.

Kabuki-styled Clearomizer Tank $11.00

I second this suggestion. My vape ladder was similar to yours. Ive got Kabuki tanks on everything now. For me its all about flavor+nic
hit. Oh Im a tootle puffer(MTL low watt/volt). Satisfaction now is from eLiquid choices -theres more than a life time of choices.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm also suspecting user error in filling the Nautilus 2 if you're getting liquid on your hands. I've been a longtime Nautilus fan and the mini was annoying mostly because of the bottom fill, but I've found that the top fill on the N2 is pretty easy to do. The one thing I would recommend is definitely not filling past the top threads on the coil, because as @stols001 mentioned, that's prone to leakage.

As you said, you're relatively new to vaping, and you really can't go wrong with the N2 (and optionally the Zelos mod) as a good starting point for a beginner. It pretty much only gets more complicated as you branch into the more advanced mods or tanks. It's common for new vapers to over-vape, so it's possible that this is also contributing to the issues you're having – that is, overfilling to prevent having to refill more often.

You should stick with it, the Nautilus 2 is a solid tank.

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
I use four N2’s. They never leak, spit, or gurgle. I fill them right to the top of the coil.

It’s very simple. After you fill the tank and tighten it, take the drip tip off. Stick a q tip down the hole, turn it a few times. Pull it out.

It could have juice a third of the way up the cotton.
But the coil will not be flooded and you can vape away. Always blow and wipe drip tip too.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I use 2 N2 tanks and had some problems in the beginning. All those problems were due to overfilling and/or over tightening (both coil and metal tank shell ). Do not over tighten coil, tank shell and do not over fill past threading on chimney and problems will be gone. The only bad thing is that bvc coils do not last very long but for couple days they provide (particulary BVC 0.7 ohm) the best MTL flavour... and smooth gurgle and pop free draw.

Janusz

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I would agree with Janusz.
I initially had problems too and as he suggested, make sure the bell is securely fitted but don't give it that extra twist. I am vaping the N2 with the Zelos right now at 14w with the 1.8 coil and getting very good flavor. Also make sure the air holes are closed when filling and tightening.
Coil life has been good for me.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Not over tightening metal bell after refilling is is also important for another reason... if you over tighten it is extremely hard to unscrew for the next fill (sometimes you will have to use pliers to do that) and you are risking that unscrewing bell will unscrew bell together with coil so remnants of e juice will flood bottom of tank base. When you screw bell use only pressure of your fingers resting on air control ring... do not use mod resistance (to do that unscrew tank from mod one or two turns).

Janusz

snkrumble

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
Port Huron, MI, USA
I hate mine i bought one cause im really big into chinese eliquid off fast tech (super high pg) and tank just sucks and my coils tend to burn out after 5 days usually at 4.59 a pop at the local vape shop just not worth it. Been eyeing the innokin tanks tho i love my mtl go through a lot less juice, batteries last way longer, and still get great flavor.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I hate mine i bought one cause im really big into chinese eliquid off fast tech (super high pg) and tank just sucks and my coils tend to burn out after 5 days usually at 4.59 a pop at the local vape shop just not worth it. Been eyeing the innokin tanks tho i love my mtl go through a lot less juice, batteries last way longer, and still get great flavor.

Saying..."and tank just sucks" says nothing. I agree that BVC coils do not last longer than 5-7 days of vaping but for the couple of days they provide incredible smooth and flavorful vape. Since you are buying e-liquid off fast tech what is the problem to buy authentic aspire coils they offer?

$7.47 Authentic Aspire Nautilus 2 Clearomizer Replacement Coil Head (5-Pack) - 1.8ohm (4.2-5V) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

For $21 you can buy 15 coils with free shipping that is ...ONE DOLAR and 40 cents a pop... for that price I can easily pop brand new coil even every day... I used to spent every day $7 on cigarettes so even your local vape shop price would not scare me of using Nautilus2 tank. I have Smok Baby Beast tank. Melo 3 tank, eGo One V2 tank, original 5ml Nautilus tank, one SXK Doggystyle RTA tank, two Siren2 RTA tanks and two Nautilus2 tanks. From that list of tanks Nautilus2 tank and Siren2 tank are much, much, much better than rest...

Janusz

• Agree

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Ah, I was wondering what was different between the old Nautilus and the new one. I have the old bottom fill and it works okay, almost as well as the old Atlantis.

I’m getting better mileage out of those coils after changing my vape habits. Like not chain vaping until the tank gets hot.

A friend mentioned having problems with a similar new top fill tank, one of the Uwells, don’t recall which one. Hard to fill, leaky, pain in the ..... Someone else mentioned finding a good way to fill top fills with bottom airflow - close the AF before you fill, as already mentioned, don’t overfill, close the top then turn it upside down and open the AF. I’ve started doing that with my Herakles and it’s never leaked since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread