Is the average person becoming more susceptible to anti-e-cig nonsense than ever before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
I'm asking this mainly because of a post someone made on a friends facebook comment earlier today. The friend said he quit smoking cigarettes, and it has been 30 days. I applauded him, and let him know I quit as of 15 months ago with the help of e-cigs, and how grateful I was!

Here is the comment someone posted, "Good job bro - don't switch to vapes. The lack of heat means you can breathe in more, which means that you're taking in WAY more of the neurotoxin that is nicotene."

Of course, I had to correct the person, but it got me thinking about posts I've recently seen here on ECF. SEVERAL members here have made threads about having to deal with family members, friends, even STRANGERS coming up to them, and going off on anti- e-cig rants.

I'm making this thread to get the opinion of fellow vapers.....why do you think we are seeing so many anti-e-cig comments, rants, opinions, etc?

Is it because of ANTZ? The media? Ignorance and fear? E-cigs being so "new"?

I totally understand people not wanting to consider e-cigs "safe". That makes perfect sense....the science just isn't there yet, we need studies done, including long-term studies to find out just how e-cigs impact our health.

However, that doesn't seem to the issue. Many people are considering e-cigs as bad, or WORSE then cigarettes in some cases.....

Here at ECF, we all know that vaping is FAR less of a health risk than smoking cigarettes. We don't need scientific studies to determine that....to us, it is common sense. However, even though this information is available freely on the net (what e-cigs are, what is in them, how they work, etc), it seems like many people are still falling victim to negative opinions about e-cigs.

I'm just trying to get an understanding here, and figure out where this is all coming from. Any input is greatly appreciated.....thanks guys!

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
People are sheep. They always have been. they always will be. It doesn't matter the topic. If they read it from their normal "news" print sources, or saw it on TV, or heard it on a radio station they like, they think they were told the truth. And, since they think they know something now, they will parrot it. It's just the nature of people.

As to where it's coming from... The ANTZ have effective presence in the media.... and though it will upset a lot of folks, the more liberal the media, the more foothold the ANTZ have in it. It's just true.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

PaseQB

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2014
New Jersey
I've found that when it comes to vaping people believe what they want to believe. I'm less inclined to engage people about it because people don't want to have an exchange of ideas and possibly learn somthing. They want to pontificate and spout off what ever they want to parrot. It's another example of how people have lost the ability to think critically

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
You know, if it wasn't for all the folk vaping away huge clouds in places that are non-smoking and defending the behavior by pointing out (correctly!) that vaping is not smoking, we might not have some of these problems. It's a question of perception of reality really; if it looks like smoking, it must be equal to smoking. And sadly, perception is everything!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
$10 says the FB poster has never smoked nor ever had a reason to research anything related to vaping. To hold the notion that this is WORSE than smoking is almost absurd. Inhaling asbestos would only be AS BAD as smoking.

This would indicate that they haven't formed their opinion through experience or critical thought. They've been told to think this way.

Many, many factions in this world want them to think this way - none of them are not self-interested.

And why has our little activity become something 'the man on the street' has an opinion about? Several billion $$$ in vape commerce is likely the culprit. We have arrived as a going concern (as men in pinstriped suits sitting around a boardroom table would put it), and where there's money, there's an agenda. Agendas then beget promotion, plus... the scuttling of the other guy's agenda (real or imagined).

Your FB poster is just a pawn.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
You know, if it wasn't for all the folk vaping away huge clouds in places that are non-smoking and defending the behavior by pointing out (correctly!) that vaping is not smoking, we might not have some of these problems. It's a question of perception of reality really; if it looks like smoking, it must be equal to smoking. And sadly, perception is everything!

That's why I...uh...leaned under the table tonight to...uh...pick up something off the floor several times in the restaurant where we ate. We were sitting at the back in a very unobtrusive place. Darn napkin just kept falling off my lap. ;-)

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I've no proof, but a strong suspicion that if you followed the money trail behind a lot of the negative propaganda concerning vaping, it would lead you to the pocketbook of big tobacco
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

It's not that simple actually....
BT - big tobacco is losing money because people are using e-cigs to quit smoking
BP - big pharma is losing money because people are not using their useless drugs
BG - big government is losing money because smoking and cigarette taxes are down

Bad for all three groups income, good for the public health. Guess which they care about.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

I totally understand people not wanting to consider e-cigs "safe". That makes perfect sense....the science just isn't there yet, we need studies done, including long-term studies to find out just how e-cigs impact our health. ........................................

Part of the answer can be found in your post. When someone who vapes states "the science isn't there yet", when in reality there are plenty of reputable studies that support the safety of vaping, it is no wonder the uninformed believe that vaping is more harmful than smoking.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

1. I have been vaping for over 4 years and rarely see any vaper blowing huge clouds in inappropriate places. Instead, I see polite vapers vaping in non-smoking areas in a respectful and common sense manner that provides a positive perception of vaping.

2. I have been told by many non-vapers/smokers, that when they see people vaping in designated smoking areas, their perception is that it must be the same as and just as dangerous as smoking. Perception = reality and their perception from what they observe is logical that vaping is just as bad as smoking.

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
I've no proof, but a strong suspicion that if you followed the money trail behind a lot of the negative propaganda concerning vaping, it would lead you to the pocketbook of big tobacco
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I agree 100%!!! And, don't forget to add in the pharmacy industry.

Scootaloo

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
It may be unfair to say all misinformed people are likt this, but sadly some sheep and ANTZ read/see/hear some B.S in the news, and without doing there own research, looking at both sides and having a good old think about it, they go with the B.S and often just make assumptions.

The argument goes something like this “Nicotine is in cigarettes, so nicotine is what causes cancer I assume so it must be true”

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Is it because of ANTZ? The media? Ignorance and fear? E-cigs being so "new"?

It is all of the above.
I think it might be best simply to read, keep abreast of the research from authoritative sources, and arm yourself with the facts. You really can only worry about yourself and what YOU know to be true.
I believe the research and the facts are becoming more accessible by the day, and are right here in these threads, for example. The facts are all you need, I think, in any comparison of vaping to smoking cigarettes.

For example, if ALL I know or care to know about cigarette smoking and vaping is, that it is the tar in the smoke from burning tobacco that kills and causes disease, that nicotine is not particularly harmful (much less harmful than previously believed, if not completely harmless), and that the few additional ingredients in ejuice are ingested / applied to our bodies inside and out almost daily anyway, it is enough for me to know that I probably should stop inhaling burning tobacco smoke and substitute vapor, no?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread