Is the best wicking material ss mesh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenanmcfar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
ottawa
I have some ss on the way but have no experience with it yet. I have to say, for wicking ability it would indeed be difficult to beat cotton. Using cotton/bamboo blend yarn on my ratank and have zero dry hit no matter what. Even chain vaping. That said, it does put off a bit of a taste. If the mesh wicks as well, id have to say its better. If u dont mind it being a pita to set up :p

ussr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
nbcb
I use stainless mesh and cotton as well. Stainless requires a little more power to get a good vape from as it absorbs some of the coil heat. Unless you have a Vmax or Provari, I wouldn't go over 2 ohms on the coil.

Hi!

How do u use the mesh and cotton? Mesh over cotton or the cotton treaded over mesh method? Have been looking around but have not found any videos/guides on mesh over cotton.

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
I prefer ss mesh. The vapor just seems like a finer, more consistent quality, and you don't get any of the funk taste you can get from a silica wick (especially a scorched one!). The mesh does take some patience to get it made correctly and broken in, but once it's going, I don't see how it could be beat. The juice tastes so clean, and the vapor is insane.

Last edited:

motelgrim

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
Florida
Just wondering from peoples experience if ss mesh is the best wicking material and why/what/which material is?:)

I find SS mesh to be relatively crappy wicking material.
It's great coil substrate as its burn temp is so high but as far as wicking liquid vertically I haven't been impressed.
From my experiences the denser you make the wick, the better it performs. It's still going to be porous without the tube in the middle and it would seem that the tube would be detrimental to a degree.

Anyway, silica or cotton, imho is better...just not as clean.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Just pull the cotton wick through the hole of the ss mesh after roled and oxidized.

That is exactly what I do! I use a "straw" of ss mesh with a core of 3mm silica. Never had a dry hit and provides clean flavor of ss mesh. Once a week I pull the "Burrito" as this type of wick is called, out of the coil and torch it completely clean. Dry burn the coil, reinsert the Burrito and everything is back to perfect again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread