Is the FDA trying to squeeze Flavor Manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
According to information posted on FB, Real Flavors is making changes, presumably due in part to pressure exerted by the FDA ... particularly disturbing is the item noted below in bold ( emphasis mine ).

"As of today, Real Flavors has stopped production of 10ml bottles. Real Flavors has always been a fundamental service to the wholesale/manufacturing sector, sadly the smaller bottles have started to affect the speed and times we could provide our flavors to clients. On Monday, Real Spices will launch with great flavors dedicated to the home bakers, candy makers, home brewers, and all the other home users of Real Flavors.

Real Spices was created to fall in line with the new food laws provided to us by the FDA. Super Concentrate flavors can no longer be mailed to residential addresses effective immediately.

Resellers will not be affected by this change.

Commercial clients can still receive smaller sample bottles free of cost."

While they don't specifically state these changes were forced on them, I find the change disconcerting nonetheless. I don't understand why they couldn't continue to offer the sale of larger offerings ( greater than 10ml ) to residential addresses if this was being done strictly to address the distribution issue they mentioned above. Thoughts, opinions?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
According to information posted on FB...Super Concentrate flavors can no longer be mailed to residential addresses effective immediately.

While they don't specifically state these changes were forced on them, I find the change disconcerting nonetheless. I don't understand why they couldn't continue to offer the sale of larger offerings ( greater than 10ml ) to residential addresses if this was being done strictly to address the distribution issue they mentioned above.
Can the FDA determine if an address is a business or residential destination? It seems like this would be difficult to enforce. It also sounds like this was a voluntary decision by one supplier. We'll need to see if other suppliers follow suit.

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Can the FDA determine if an address is a business or residential destination? It seems like this would be difficult to enforce. It also sounds like this was a voluntary decision by one supplier. We'll need to see if other suppliers follow suit.

If this were to become a requirement and I'm not saying that it has or will necessarily, I'm guessing the FDA will put the onus on the business to make the determination rather than themselves, much like they do with the age requirement.

Agreed, it remains to be seen if other suppliers will find it necessary to do likewise or not. I just didn't like the implication that was alluded to by their statement.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If this were to become a requirement and I'm not saying that it has or will necessarily, I'm guessing the FDA will put the onus on the business to make the determination rather than themselves, much like they do with the age requirement.

Agreed, it remains to be seen if other suppliers will find it necessary to do likewise or not. I just didn't like the implication that was alluded to by their statement.
Aren't there non-commercial consumers who buy super concentrated flavor agents for home cooking? (My late mother who made homemade candy for the holidays comes to mind). I bet they are going to be ...... if this comes to pass as being the norm.

Last edited:

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Unfortunately...

What is RDI, and Where Can I Find It? - SmartyStreets

Agreed, sounds like it could be a proactive response to what they see coming.

So, if our addresses are done up by zone, then someone who had a small scale catering/baking biz out of their home, or even in a mainly residential zone, they couldn't purchase what they needed from this supplier...let's hope it's not actually the fda behind this. I will say RF has redone their business several times, I used to be able to get them off Amazon, but they quit selling there. At this time I still see their stuff being resold on other supplier's sites. Hopefully will still be able to get what I want.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
So, if our addresses are done up by zone, then someone who had a small scale catering/baking biz out of their home, or even in a mainly residential zone, they couldn't purchase what they needed from this supplier...let's hope it's not actually the fda behind this. I will say RF has redone their business several times, I used to be able to get them off Amazon, but they quit selling there. At this time I still see their stuff being resold on other supplier's sites. Hopefully will still be able to get what I want.

I agree...

51101432-312B-4184-9FEE-2549040CE9DC.jpeg

No, these aren’t super concentrates but once you start down a slippery slope...

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I saw they changed their site last week and it got me to think that they started out in the food industry, with all the changes related to vaping maybe they didn’t want to draw attention to themselves and also didn’t want to lose contracts with companies that use them for food and medicine.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
This is one I cannot possibly standing up to a legal challenge. Taking flavors off the market because they MIGHT be used by an individual to use for their personal use in a vape juice is beyond their pervue. Nicotine, a drug that has little use at the concentrations we order to mix have no other particular use, and they can make a case it's a tobacco product that falls under their regulation. But generic flavors? Can't be done. All I have to say in court is I make candy or cupcakes at home for my school fundraising event each year and how can I not have access to a perfectly legal product? It would be like preventing the sale of batteries that may or may not fit a vaping device.

This company made some business decision either to change their business model and are using the FDA as a bugaboo, or they are a bunch of paranoid business managers. IF this comes to pass I see not only a solid legal foundation to overturn any such rule and a campaign questioning how a political administration based on deregulation is going to publicly defend such an invasive regulation. The concern are kids buying Juuls at the 7 Eleven, not going all Breaking Bad turning their bathrooms into vape juice factories.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
According to information posted on FB, Real Flavors is making changes, presumably due in part to pressure exerted by the FDA ... particularly disturbing is the item noted below in bold ( emphasis mine ).

"As of today, Real Flavors has stopped production of 10ml bottles. Real Flavors has always been a fundamental service to the wholesale/manufacturing sector, sadly the smaller bottles have started to affect the speed and times we could provide our flavors to clients. On Monday, Real Spices will launch with great flavors dedicated to the home bakers, candy makers, home brewers, and all the other home users of Real Flavors.

Real Spices was created to fall in line with the new food laws provided to us by the FDA. Super Concentrate flavors can no longer be mailed to residential addresses effective immediately.

While they don't specifically state these changes were forced on them, I find the change disconcerting nonetheless. I don't understand why they couldn't continue to offer the sale of larger offerings ( greater than 10ml ) to residential addresses if this was being done strictly to address the distribution issue they mentioned above. Thoughts, opinions?
Darn, I really like their Samoa Cookie!

Reactions: NGAHaze

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

This says no more concentrated flavors and no more 10ml bottles. So the new company will only offer flavors in vg and in larger bottles to the residential customers??? FDA has nothing to do with this. Just using this as an excuse. my 2 pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread