Is the heatflux correct for twisted wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

astronomicals

Feb 5, 2015
Build= dual braided 30AWG, 0.8ohms, 10/9 wrap, 2.4mm

Steam engine says that @17 watts my heat flux is 47 mw/mm, however, it vapes well. It says it would be 187 mw/mm if it were a non braided 0.8 ohm dual coil of 30awg. I get fairly dense clouds at 17 watts. Warm vape. If I bump it up to around 55 watts it says i'll have a heat flux of 153mw/mm. I get much denser clouds at that power, but, I need to take quick, fast, hard draws. Im wondering why it even works at 47 mw/mm.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Build= dual braided 30AWG, 0.8ohms, 10/9 wrap, 2.4mm

Steam engine says that @17 watts my heat flux is 47 mw/mm, however, it vapes well. It says it would be 187 mw/mm if it were a non braided 0.8 ohm dual coil of 30awg. I get fairly dense clouds at 17 watts. Warm vape. If I bump it up to around 55 watts it says i'll have a heat flux of 153mw/mm. I get much denser clouds at that power, but, I need to take quick, fast, hard draws. Im wondering why it even works at 47 mw/mm.

What am I missing here?
What you may have done is set it at "dual coil" for the build "set-up"... where the program believes you have two parallel coils, each made of two strands of wire. Reduce the build to a single coil and it will adjust heat flux to 189 mW/mm2.

Read my Steam Engine User guide (link below) if you've not already done so... might clarify this feature, and if not, then I'll need to edit it a bit and point this particular aspect of the multi-strand option out.

Gotta' Go! Cheers

astronomicals

Feb 5, 2015
Sorry. I should have been more specific. It is dual coil. Each is two braided wires. Fires at 47mw/mm. Its much thicker at 55 watts, but I didnt think Id get it to fire at 17 watts. Is that just typically a much cooler and thinner vape than desired [hence the "blue zone"]?

This is the build
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bmqbsca01crs5s/dualtwist30.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Sorry. I should have been more specific. It is dual coil. Each is two braided wires. Fires at 47mw/mm. Its much thicker at 55 watts, but I didnt think Id get it to fire at 17 watts. Is that just typically a much cooler and thinner vape than desired [hence the "blue zone"]?

This is the build
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bmqbsca01crs5s/dualtwist30.JPG?dl=0
Yep... using your SE link, I get identical values, and a stone cold HF of 47mW/mm2. You'd need at least 60 watts to get into the approximate middle of the green zone @ 167 mW/mm2.

As an example of myself and others, I tend to build for the 230 to 345 mW/mm range, with the lower end for RTAs, the upper end for RDAs. Certainly not representative of any sort of average (I'll have to take a pole... when enough people actually use and understand heat flux)... just me and a few dozen people I know well enough to know their numbers. I know very few that run below 145 or above 400 mW/mm2.

astronomicals

Feb 5, 2015
Interesting. It certainly functions at 17watts. Clouds are fairly large (by some standard) at 55watts. I guess its just a matter of personal preference.

This tops out at 65watt 207mw/mm [on my device] due to voltage limitations and Ohms Law. That means my resistance must really be around 0.86. I could build a 0.6 ohm dual coil setup from the same twisted wire but id lose 27% of my surface area to enable me to use an additional ~30 watts. Id be able to drive at ~50% more power and lose ~27% surface area. Sounds like a fair trade off (thinking pot odds here). I guess if it wicks well enough it might not matter. That will be my next build. What do you think regarding this?

Personally, I kinda like firing really low in the blue zone. I have to drip less often and I can vape more without getting too much nic (@6mg). I also like that I can draw more slowly at that wattage. I definitely get more flavor at the higher wattages.

@93gc40-Its just two twisted wires. Nothing fancy. Just the typical drill twisting method.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread