Is the JUUL old hat now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
About 18 months ago I really researched into pod systems as I wanted something high nic to use as a secondary device. After a lot of research I decided that I wanted a juul only to find that at the time they were not available here in the U.K. In the end I bought a von erl which saw minimal use before being retired to the cupboard where I expect it will never return.

The juul is now finally available here in the U.K. but are there now better options available? I like the ‘stick’ shape and want to stay with that but should I be looking elsewhere now that pods have been around a while?

Reactions: stols001

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I live in the USA and Juul uses 5% nic but I read that Juul had to lower the concentration to 2% for sale in the UK. I don't know if that is high enough for you if you want "high nic".

According to the subscriber email that I received from this forum, Juul has 70% of the market share. If that's true, then it is still extraordinarily popular. But there are lots of other pod devices designed to be filled and refilled with any nicotine you want. Take a look at the topics in this forum. Many of the topics on the first page are about popular pod devices like the Justfog minifit, Vladdin RE, Smok Infinix, etc. Each has pros and cons.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
About 18 months ago I really researched into pod systems as I wanted something high nic to use as a secondary device. After a lot of research I decided that I wanted a JUUL only to find that at the time they were not available here in the U.K. In the end I bought a Von Erl which saw minimal use before being retired to the cupboard where I expect it will never return.

The JUUL is now finally available here in the U.K. but are there now better options available? I like the ‘stick’ shape and want to stay with that but should I be looking elsewhere now that pods have been around a while?
IMO, Juul under the TPD is just one of the crowd of new pods devices. 18-20mg/ml Max strength DEFEATS the advantage of small, 2010 era equipment.
However, sheep will be sheep and the Juul will do well for a while, but weak nicotine equals a weak experience and most will move on to more functional/practical devices.

Just my 2p,
I

• Agree

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The JUUL is now finally available here in the U.K. but are there now better options available? I like the ‘stick’ shape and want to stay with that but should I be looking elsewhere now that pods have been around a while?

I doubt there are guaranteed better options, no, just different and cheaper ones. Then again, I've not compared the vape of all the pod systems.

Do I approve of Juul? - absolutely no way at all. I hate what they stand for and everything they do. They are just about the greediest self-serving group of businessmen I have encountered on my vaping journey discounting the original "E-Lites" (UK) Vaporfi (US) and Blu (US/UK) of course.

If you can afford to use their system, don't mind spending a fortune on some very cheap plastic made in China and sold to you with a sly self-satisfaction of company running up profit margins measured in 100s of % then go ahead.

Be aware though. A Juul at 18mg is more or less a vanity product. Like E-Lites from 2012 only even more cynical. It won't satisfy many smokers.

They will be lucky to get 7% of the market share in the UK and most users will keep smoking. That will be the reality.

I doubt anyone born after 1990 will care much about money.... I mean, they can't afford a house, they spend a grand a year on carrying an apple phone, can only drive in the cities at 5mph because of the traffic - so may as well blow your weekly wage on pointless products aimed at a very disadvantaged generation.

b.t.w I tried a Juul competitor last weekend at Vapefest. 10% of the yearly running costs and totally 'open source' in it's approach to vape pod systems. They encourage you to purchase and vape your own Nic' salt e-liquid.

No - they are not the answer. Will they 'win' in the UK? (eventually)... hard to say.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Tbh, I’m trying not to get too involved with all the politics - I just want a decent vape.

@djsvapour, what system did you try?

No, I agree. Stay well away from those of us trying to change the world. We are militant lunatics.

Anyway... this was it.

IQ Air Kit - Premier E-Cigs

Not Juul. Refillable. Win, win. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
.Ah, the Juul hasn't fallen off the map or anything, the news media is on to a different cycle because people have the attention spans of gnats. I'd imagine the next "unexpected but baseless challenge" to vaping is going to come from somewhere else.

However, the Juul in the UK is going to yes, remove a lot of its attractive qualities, mainly being able to vape super high nic salts in a much lower powered delivery system and using Enough vape salts to really sort of kind of justify the price tag (if marginally, and not really at all).

I would think most people using it are for convenience, maybe ease of use but DEFINITELY for the fact that it offers a lot of nic per puff. So, translating that to TPD means you will have all the disadvantages of the juul without its one (rather potent advantage) of getting a lot of nic per puff. So you will have a low power, low capacity device that is rather cheaply made, costs A TON per puff and the pods are proprietary so you may get one sort of leaky refill in there if you are lucky, and you really try hard, limited flavors if you don't try to refill pods, and they're proprietary so you don't know EXACTLY what is in them (to be fair, this may be true of many eliquids) and honestly to me in the TPD world, the Juul makes zero sense.

If you want a pod try an open fill pod and even then, when you need refill pods, they are more expensive than coils alone. However if you want something small, refillable and everything else, well, good luck and I hope you find something useful for you that is more cost effective than the Juul.

Maybe this thread would be useful IDK:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/pod-mods-which-one-are-you-liking-the-most.760037/page-34

Good luck,

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: djsvapour

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
This is an old hat
tCINdf9.jpg

Anything that frees people from having to kill themselves with tobacco is intrinsically current as far as Im concerned.

spaceman84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina
There's a hundred refillable pod systems that are arguably superior to the Juul. However, Juul is what you'll find in most gas stations, or Blu, and I don't think anyone is debating that Juul has the best flavors.

I used to roll my own cigarettes with super premium tobacco, but you can't replicate the flavor of a Marlboro Smooth and it's just a short drive to pick up a pack.

Follow the same business model as cigarettes though, so not a good value at all, but not without its virtues either.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Any more details?
Yes. Both are listed in my previous posts.

1. IQ Air Kit - Premier E-Cigs

but I am getting this.

2. $10.94 Authentic Rofvape Warlock PEAS 400mAh E-Cigarette Starter Kit - 1.5ml / 1.8ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

or available

Rofvape - Warlock Peas - Pod Kit

The device is not too expensive at ecigwizard but the pods are. NO surprise - it's ecigwizard after all. :eek:

That's why both are coming from China and split into two shipments to avoid import VAT.

• Useful

DawnBella

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2011
USA
Ex JUUL user and own all the known pods. The MYLE is the clear winner IMO. Have a look... Flavors are nice and 50mg salt. They do not feel as strong as JUUL but their salts do have a nice TH. Most dont.

Same flavor profiles as JUUL.
More liquid per pod.
Better price.
Same size as JUUL but wider.

Myle Vapor Pod Mod Kit | Electric Tobacconist®

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Ex JUUL user and own all the known pods. The MYLE is the clear winner IMO. Have a look... Flavors are nice and 50mg salt. They do not feel as strong as JUUL but their salts do have a nice TH. Most dont.

Same flavor profiles as JUUL.
More liquid per pod.
Better price.
Same size as JUUL but wider.

Myle Vapor Pod Mod Kit | Electric Tobacconist®

Unless my google-fu is off, I can’t find that this side of the pond.

My ideal is a pod system which sells pre-filled pods with nic salts and empty pods as well. Is there such a beast?

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread