Is the PROVARI worth it...YES and I will explain WHY. Facts, not fanyboyism. Plz Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cearamm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2013
USA
Hey guys, i just went ahead and picked up a new Provari mini starter kit off the provape website for xmas. I read alot of people asking about whether such a premium pricetag is worth it for a battery holder essentially. I will warn you that this is a very long post. Read at your risk!

well, casting away all fanboyism, id like to elaborate on the facts and leave the opinions to the side so that potential buyers can better understand the "Provari Difference"

SO LET'S just dive right in here. I will let you all in on a little "insider knowledge" so to speak, from a manufacturing point of view. I work as a CNC Machinist and Programmer for one of the largest oil rig tong manufacturers in the world. Basically, I machine steel parts and components for oil rigs that one day will help pump the oil from the ground and into refineries, and into petrol and its million products that we all use daily.

SO I am mentioning this because the first issue we see here with Provari is what's called fit and finish. Okay so we all know that most current APVs are manufactured and designed in China, where labor can be had for pennies on the dollar compared to our domestic costs. This allows them to manufacture APVs for insanely cheap prices, and also reap insanely huge profits, simply because they pay their work force next to nothing. They also tend to make really cheap and typically throwaway products. Well except for Apple products like iPhones, etc....lol JK! Not really....ANYWHO....

An entry level machinist/operator who simply pushes the start button and does no setup or programming can expect a wage between $12-15 per hour. In China, let's say it's $2/hr. Since the Provari is USA made, we have to account for a significant increase in labor costs during the manufacturing process. That can account for anywhere from $15-30, and perhaps more, per unit made. See, making a stainless steel tube like the Provari from a rod of stainless steel can take a machinist anywhere from 1 to 3 hours of machining time. I have made parts similar to this, not so much in design, but more in regards to relative complexity and shape. Not only that, but they will inevitably require both milling and also a lathe process to achieve the finished design. This adds significant costs in setting up and switiching between machines and laborers. The precision and detail work in a Provari unit is so far unmatched in the vaping world. Each of those cuts has been meticulously programmed and tested to ensure quality control. More money. Not to mention that if one of these tubes are scrapped in the process, the company must eat that +/- $169 finished product cost.

In terms of quality control, it is second to none. If a unit has even a minuscule blemish, it must be sold at a discount. Any thing more than minuscule and the unit will likely be scrapped. More money.

SO we have heavy labor costs and a time intensive process. We must now note that stainless is one of the most expensive steel alloys out there, and most APVs either use aluminum, which is significantly cheaper, or are made of a much thinner piece of steel. They may also use a LOW alloy steel which is of lower quality for a product like this. So stainless is rather expensive, especially when we consider just how heavy a Provari is compared to almost all standard mods out there. Significantly more steel is used, and it is also much more precisely machined and in a more complex design as well. SO all of these factors have already really started to add up. Why is more metal even necessary, and is it a good thing? Well if you're like me, you constantly drop your device from heights and onto soul shattering surfaces like concrete or tile. Good luck dusting your Evic off and vaping after it falls off the table onto the tile. Provari? THROW it on the ground and it won't skip a beat. SO yea, that extra metal DOES matter.

If no one has seen the inside of a Provari, lets take a look here : http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp43/blunderpic/P1000611.jpg

All we have is the chip mounted to the fire button, which is mounted to the LED, which is mounted to the body or tube. That is incredible when you consider the features packed in. In the size of a quarter, Provape has crammed variable voltage, ohm reader and several other key functions and safety lockouts that prevent user harm. It also holds voltage from the first vape to the very last. That 4.5 volts you set will still be set even as the battery drains out completely. Amazing. Really, only mech mods can currently get away with that kind of performance right now. Not to mention that the Provari is consistently within on one hundredth of a volt. So if you set 4.5, you can get a reading of 4.49 on a meter, or 4.51. How many other VV devices can do that? Exactly. Precision electronics, people.

SO not only is there high precision machined stainless steel of superb quality, we have precision electronics in an incredibly neat and concise package that has a very small foot print, electronically speaking.

See where we are going here?

The reason a Provari is so darn expensive is because it is! It would be impossible to make something like that cost as little as even a ZMAX, much less a VAMO. Probably even with offshore labor, the device would still be prohibitively expensive.

Another factor to consider is that Provape does not use end users as Beta Testers, or guinea pigs if you will. 99.9 percent of the kinks in this mod have been worked out looooooong before they ever considered bringing it to market. No other APVs, save a few, have really got a reputation of being so tried and true so to speak. There are no bugs. Many firm/software updates go out for less high end models because the manufacturer probably rushed to market to compete with Provape and neglected to flush out all of the issues in the process, resulting in buggy products.

Provari also has built in a number of user and device safeguards to prevent injury to the user and critical device failure. These include battery overdrain protection, overheat protection, current over draw protection, and a couple other nice safety features that will pretty much make it impossible to break your device during normal usage. Overload a Vamo or Zmax on an LR atty at high voltage and you may not just fry your atty, you may explode a batt, or fry you main circuit board. Ooops, there goes that $100 bucks. Provari simply won't let you do that, and it is a GOOD thing. I feel that too many people tend to tinker with things that they have little understanding of when it comes to subohming, high voltage, etc. These can and do lead to critical failures, including violent battery discharge. Lithium batteries and LiPo batteries are incredibly volatile and are not sposed to be overloaded EVER. SO the Provari giving an E2 error or whatever to indicate current overload is a GOOD thing, and is not meant to get in your way, but to protect you.

In the end, it comes down to the time and capital that Provape has invested in perfecting their VV mod, and the materials used in producing said product. It also comes down to ONSHORE labor and that cannot be overstated. I haven't even mentioned the incredible customer service and free year long warranty, with the option to extend that warranty. Repairs after warranty are not too expensive. If you want an APV to last you a few months, by all means buy a cheaper China made model. If you want a company with a near perfect take on VV vaping, a solid reputation for outstanding customer service, years of R&D built into the product, and a product lifespan many times longer than most competitors, seek out a Provari. Or should I say, await the arrival of the Provarinati to take you to paradise.

I hope I was able to clear up some facts about Provape and the Provari, including why it is much pricier, and whether or not it is $140 better at what it does than some other APVs. If I were an outsider with no experience in APVs, I would personally say yes, based on these facts. As an owner and lover of one. HECK YES lol.

Im sorry if I offended any Vari haters out there. The facts do not lie. If you don't like this, I would love to see an alternative to the Provari that can do all of this for cheaper, or do it better, or is longer lasting, etc.

Happy vaping guys!

C-Ram

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
:thumb: Very well put. I totally agree and approve. You should blog this post so when the next "Why a Provari?" post comes along we can just link to your blog.

provarinati.gif

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/289525-provari-made-usa.html

The ProVape Team Interview

Last edited:

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL

Cearamm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2013
USA
Hehehe i was hoping that using the guise of 'facts' might just cover up the blatant praise of provape. I must be stopped!

But for reals, i went thru tons of forums that listed reasons like "safety" features or things like "cuz is made in america" as reasons why its so expensive. But no one truly elaborated on it more than that. i found a few good posts but most of it was....vamo sucks cuz its sucky and the provari rules cuz it rules. and also vamo rules cuz its way cheaper with VW and provari sucks cuz its more expensiver-er-er-er and DeEeWwWdDdD it doesnteven do VW or post to my twitter account. Laaaaaaaame

and The deeper reasons truly just speak to the design, materials, and engineering of the device. I wanted to make it easier to wade thru the minefield of brand loyalty for a person sitting on the fence about it, hopefully making their decision and purchase easier in the end.

Or maybe i iust wanted to please the Provarnati. I need to get an ocelot as a pet. Already have a part bobcat cat...but hey i can dream!

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Jailbird

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
Wisconsin
I don't agree 100% with the numbers, but it does make sense. The Provari is a very high quality piece of equipment, made in the USA, with very high tolerances. I personally don't own one, but I have used them. I prefer to go after mods that are a bit less known, thus harder to aquire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Since my brand new spiffy Innokin iTaste VV V3 went from "green" to "dead" after being used from 6:00AM to 10:55AM today (149 PUFFS) I am all for slappin' the daylights out of myself as I head off to order a PROVARI. Really now Innokin ...... I am bummed. Maybe it will get better and last "days and days" like I read in all the loyal ECF Fans of ITaste reviews? It'll make a good "ohms checker" I suppose? Ahhhhh - I feel better already! :(

Senile Old Man Don ............ Sorrowly Disappointed :(

cowfood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
Raleigh
Since my brand new spiffy Innokin iTaste VV V3 went from "green" to "dead" after being used from 6:00AM to 10:55AM today (149 PUFFS) I am all for slappin' the daylights out of myself as I head off to order a PROVARI. Really now Innokin ...... I am bummed. Maybe it will get better and last "days and days" like I read in all the loyal ECF Fans of ITaste reviews? It'll make a good "ohms checker" I suppose? Ahhhhh - I feel better already! :( Senile Old Man Don ............ Sorrowly Disappointed :(
Hmm, They don't come fully charged out of the box, maybe after a full charging you will get better results. And just fyi, the Provari mini uses 18350 (aw imr) batteries. 700mah, the itaste is technically 800mah, if you went that route you may find you have the same lifespan as the VV V3 with the Provari. I own both, and like both, although I have found the itaste VV sub par to an ego twist/ vision spinner. (half my kangers wont touch the positive pin and half have terrible airflow when used on the itaste.) But, for the ones that work I get a little more power (than an ego twist)/ and have VW + ohm reader. My Provari is my at home workhorse, especially with Kayfun's/protanks... -CF

Cearamm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2013
USA
I would agree with that about the mech mods.

Also, if all you have to add is "i stopped reading halfway thru"....why even post!? Lol sounds trollish .

You get what you pay for is the mantra here.

Vamos and such are cheap and they dont last. Provaris and mech mods are expensive because they are built to last and are reliable.
That is all.

Anywho. There was a disclaimer stating that this was a long guide and read....so yea....lol. A whole 1000 words.

+1 for provari with protank

thezoo

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
pennsylvania
I have considered the purchase of one the only 3 reasons I havent done so is
1 my wife isnt thrilled with the price
2 no variable wattage mode I use a kayfun and dont stress over my resistance as long as it is less than 3 ohms more than1.2 ohms is good enough for me ( went to college for electronics so I know ohms law quite well)
3 a person I know always gives the same answer about devices " get a provari"
Example im trying to decide wether to buy an mvp of a vamo " get a provari"
Ineed a new device for 100 bucks or less and cant decide between the svd or vv v3 which should I get " get a provari:" I just said I only have 100 bucks then go without till you can afford a provari

There is a mindset out there about several things in this world we live in you dont have a car unless its a bmw,lb It wont play music unless its an ipod your phone is garbage unless its an iphone its not coffee unless its starbucks
All of these things have a following as with many things for many reasons I just have a tuff time seeing past the attitude associated with apple products starbucks bmws and provaris
I may buy one someday (provari that is ) I have held one in my hand. Beautiful device but then that guy had to open his mouth " your not a vaper unless you have a provari"
So instead I bought an mvp thanks to his attitude problem im sorry if my rant ruffles any feathers its not my intention to but I wouldd like to urge people to tone down retoric a bit

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I have considered the purchase of one the only 3 reasons I havent done so is
1 my wife isnt thrilled with the price
2 no variable wattage mode I use a kayfun and dont stress over my resistance as long as it is less than 3 ohms more than1.2 ohms is good enough for me ( went to college for electronics so I know ohms law quite well)
3 a person I know always gives the same answer about devices " get a provari"
Example im trying to decide wether to buy an mvp of a vamo " get a provari"
Ineed a new device for 100 bucks or less and cant decide between the svd or vv v3 which should I get " get a provari:" I just said I only have 100 bucks then go without till you can afford a provari

There is a mindset out there about several things in this world we live in you dont have a car unless its a bmw,lb It wont play music unless its an ipod your phone is garbage unless its an iphone its not coffee unless its starbucks
All of these things have a following as with many things for many reasons I just have a tuff time seeing past the attitude associated with apple products starbucks bmws and provaris
I may buy one someday (provari that is ) I have held one in my hand. Beautiful device but then that guy had to open his mouth " your not a vaper unless you have a provari"
So instead I bought an mvp thanks to his attitude problem im sorry if my rant ruffles any feathers its not my intention to but I wouldd like to urge people to tone down retoric a bit

You can get a Sigelei ZMax too, they are well regarded. But they, along with most other lower end mods break in from 2-6 months. Still, well worth getting, because it will help you get your feet wet with the larger sized mods. The reason people with Provari tell you to get one is because they don't break, so you pay more but you don't have to constantly replace. It's the difference between a disposable and a built to last. Seriously, when people give you the advice to buy a Provari, its to help you save money, and keep you vaping while everything breaks around that core piece. It doesn't mean that it's not worth it to buy other mods, or that you won't like them. It's fun to collect mods too:).

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
Perhaps when they come out with VW and you don't have to click 13 times just to get certain info etc... I will grab one. I just feel it needs to be updated with a better user interface. I may not even be vaping this time next year, who knows.

Too busy looking at my iphone, ipad and driving my bmw (Ha Ha this was @ thezoo). Well gave the iphone to my middle daughter (use an S4) still have the ipad and sold the bmw five years ago and drive american muscle now. Provari is the least of my worries at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread