Is the Santa Ana Explosion A Hoax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
Hey guys I haven't been on in a while, but this could not escape my attention. Last week an e-cigarette explosion occurred in my home town. There are many people in Santa Ana who believe this is a hoax to get the media to bash e-cig use. I tend to believe that it was an amateur vaper who did not do his research before using higher end equipment. Who in their right mind would use an Atlantis on a hybrid mod anyway? But back to the point, there are a few strong points that may explain why this could be a hoax.
1. If it was a glass tank that somehow got lodged in the ceiling, why isn't the glass broken?

2. The user's hands are minimally cut and barely look burnt, how can that happen if he explained the e-cig as "A pipe bomb that blew up in my hand".

3. The user said that the battery was "humming", first off batteries don't hum, they his when they vent. Second off, the user reported that he took a second drag on the vape even though he heard it supposedly "humming". How stupid do you have to be to use something that is not acting the way it was designed to act?

4. It was reported that the user's bed and dresser caught on fire, but he somehow miraculously had enough water to put out two fires right next to him when this explosion supposedly happened.

I still think that there was an actual explosion because it happens all too often when people don't learn about the devices they are using. However these points are all strong and I am going to leave it up to the community to make up their minds on this.

Let me know what you think, Hoax, or No Hoax.

Last edited:

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
Are people Think this Incident was a Hoax because of Poor Report?

Or just because there are Some that would see ANY e-Cigarette Exploding as a Hoax?

I think that they just see too many issues with the user's report of what happened and the physical evidence doesn't add up. I think that it could be a hoax, but normally when there is an explosion i believe it because there is always extensive damage to the user or the room. In the Santa Ana case there is minimal damage to both.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
1. It was a dumb user who had no clue what he was doing.
Like a toddler pumping gas. The guy mentions "smoking" his e-cig too many times in the interview.
Feels like he is trying to drive the point home.

2. It's obvious the drama is played upon by both the media and the "victim". The media loves a sensationalistic story, the "victim" is looking for a lawsuit payday.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think that they just see too many issues with the user's report of what happened and the physical evidence doesn't add up. I think that it could be a hoax, but normally when there is an explosion i believe it because there is always extensive damage to the user or the room. In the Santa Ana case there is minimal damage to both.

Once again.

Is it the User's Report and the Physical Evidence that is in Question?

Or is it the Reporting of User's Report and the Reporting Physical Evidence that seems Suspect?

The Problem here is that Many are Assuming that what they Read is being Reported Accurately. So they Judge the Event with the Premise that what they have been Told is True.

But Unfortunately, this isn't Always the Case.

And a Media Outlet many times just Regenerates what Another Media Outlet has Reported. Be it Factual or Not.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Could also be a case of him exaggerating to get extra attention.

It could be A lot of things.

And it could be that Some things that are Being Reported are True. And Some Aren't. And that some Words that the Users Used were Mis-Interpreted by the First Responders, Hospital Staff and then the Media.

Case in Point. The Word "MOD". I read some Reports saying that the User was using a "Modified" e-Cigarette. And that was why it Exploded. Because it had be "Modified".

I can see how Someone with Little or No Knowledge about e-Cigarettes could make the Mistake of thinking that when we use the Slang Term "Mod", that we are Referring to something that we had "Modified" ourselves.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
It could be A lot of things.

And it could be that Some things that are Being Reported are True. And Some Aren't. And that some Words that the Users Used were Mis-Interpreted by the First Responders, Hospital Staff and then the Media.

Case in Point. The Word "MOD". I read some Reports saying that the User was using a "Modified" e-Cigarette. And that was why it Exploded. Because it had be "Modified".

I can see how Someone with Little or No Knowledge about e-Cigarettes could make the Mistake of thinking that when we use the Slang Term "Mod", that we are Referring to something that we had "Modified" ourselves.
Also in regards to the mod, the user reported that he was using a hybrid, and in the pictures of the damage you can clearly see that it is an atlantis.
The Atlantis doesn't have enough room from the + connection to the - connection to use on a hybrid, its just stupid, its a short waiting to happen.

The media is reporting that it exploded because the battery was overcharged, which i guess could do something like this, but if it was overcharged wouldnt it of had equal chance to blow up while it was charging?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Also in regards to the mod, the user reported that he was using a hybrid, and in the pictures of the damage you can clearly see that it is an atlantis.
The Atlantis doesn't have enough room from the + connection to the - connection to use on a hybrid, its just stupid, its a short waiting to happen.

The media is reporting that it exploded because the battery was overcharged, which i guess could do something like this, but if it was overcharged wouldnt it of had equal chance to blow up while it was charging?

If you are Trying to Ascertain the Truth about what Happened, Don't fall into the trap of basing an conclusion on Anything that you can Not Guarantee is Factual.

All of the Reports that I have Read are Sketchy at Best. And there seems to be Language Barrier as to how Certain Key Words were/are Interpreted.

For me, I don't think it was a Hoax. Because I'm am a Believer in Occam's Razor for Most Things.

But I also do not think that the Reporting of the Story was Very Good. And that is what I think brings out the Tin Foil Hat Crowd more times than not.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I don't see any reason to doubt the story. Questionable results can sometimes happen.

BTW - I work in Santa Ana. Enjoy the warm day!

I think it's harder to figure out what exactly the story is!! much less a matter of 'doubt'ing the story.

1:
Was the guy using 2 18650 batteries stacked together??

That was never mentioned, but looking at the pictures and reading between the lines, that was the suspicion I was getting.

2:
Was the guy using a 'hybrid style' top mod?

I've read secondhand statements that that is the case, but I didn't see that in the couple of reports that I did read; wouldn't surprise me though if that were the case; the hybrid style mods are the recipe for numerous disasters.

3:
Was the guy using an electronic cigarette?

If the guy was using an Atlantis on a SMPL or other hybrid style, or an extended modified mod holding stacked batteries with no electronics, then that's not an electronic cigarette; maybe an electric cigarette, but not electronic.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think it's harder to figure out what exactly the story is!! much less a matter of 'doubt'ing the story.

1:
Was the guy using 2 18650 batteries stacked together??

That was never mentioned, but looking at the pictures and reading between the lines, that was the suspicion I was getting.

2:
Was the guy using a 'hybrid style' top mod?

I've read secondhand statements that that is the case, but I didn't see that in the couple of reports that I did read; wouldn't surprise me though if that were the case; the hybrid style mods are the recipe for numerous disasters.

3:
Was the guy using an electronic cigarette?

If the guy was using an Atlantis on a SMPL or other hybrid style, or an extended modified mod holding stacked batteries with no electronics, then that's not an electronic cigarette; maybe an electric cigarette, but not electronic.

I could Add another Dozen or so Pertinent Questions to your List.

Seems like we Actually know VERY Little real Facts about what Actually Happened.

And yet Some have already Passed Judgment on the Person. Even going so Far as to call him things like a "Newbie" or "Dumb".

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
And yet Some have already Passed Judgment on the Person. Even going so Far as to call him things like a "Newbie" or "Dumb".

Which might just be shorthand for "something no experienced intelligent vaper would ever attempt in a zillion years". :facepalm: Contrary to the old saw "ignorance is bliss," an ignorant vaper can do all kinds of damage, and become all kinds of not-blissful.

But the one thing that NO ONE can be protected against is themselves. Despite our nanny gov't's beliefs to the contrary.

Andria

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Which might just be shorthand for "something no experienced intelligent vaper would ever attempt in a zillion years". :facepalm: Contrary to the old saw "ignorance is bliss," an ignorant vaper can do all kinds of damage, and become all kinds of not-blissful.

But the one thing that NO ONE can be protected against is themselves. Despite our nanny gov't's beliefs to the contrary.

Andria

I Didn't have Anything to do with "Ignorance is Bliss" or "Nanny Governments".

It was more a Commentary about People Making things into what they Want to Believe. And Jumping to Conclusions. When there are Very Little known Facts.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
I think it happened, but I also think that it has been extremely sensationalized to fulfill the Agenda as to make E-Cigs look like dangerous ticking time bombs. The more people are afraid of something they know little about the more likely they are to go along with whatever steps are taken to get rid of it. It's a continually repeating process in history because it is absolutely effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread