Is the SONY VTC5 18650 batteries good for the SMOK Alien 220w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Depends on how high you'll be vaping.

Watts+10%(for device inefficiency)/cutoff voltage for mod (usually 3.2v)=amps. In series mods (like most variable wattage ones out there) you mulitply the cutoff voltage by the number of batteries.

eg: say you want to vape your Alien at 100w: 100+10% for inefficiency (110w)/3.2v*2batteries=6.4v so 110/6.4=roughly 18.2a.

The VTC5 is a 20a cell, so you'll reach it's constant current limit at 128w. if you don't plant on going over 110w, you should be just fine with them.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge can explain further in detail.

Jumberlack

Feb 5, 2016
Depends on how high you'll be vaping.

Watts+10%(for device inefficiency)/cutoff voltage for mod (usually 3.2v)=amps. In series mods (like most variable wattage ones out there) you mulitply the cutoff voltage by the number of batteries.

eg: say you want to vape your Alien at 100w: 100+10% for inefficiency (110w)/3.2v*2batteries=6.4v so 110/6.4=roughly 18.2a.

The VTC5 is a 20a cell, so you'll reach it's constant current limit at 128w. if you don't plant on going over 110w, you should be just fine with them. I don't rely on any pulse current mumbo jumbo

i don't think ill be going above 110w very soon, but what's the danger if i do go above that? risk of explosion or just damaged mod/battery?

Reactions: Cheallaigh

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
It won't explode. I've gone higher than the constant current rating on batteries, in a regulated device you're safe, though you run the risk of shortening the batteries' life and possibly? damaging them. The alien has a few overheating/overcurrent/overdischarge safeties built into it. As long as you aren't vaping 200w for 10sec straight lol, you're ok. Mechanical mods without the safety circuits pose a far greater risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheallaigh

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Pass on the Efest batteries. Get any of these 20A or higher (not really necessary) and you'll be fine.
Battery Chart.jpeg

Mooch is a well respected battery expert, and his ratings are spot on.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
and if one battery fails... yeah not so happy camper vaping... most of us would rather vape safely with as high amp batteries as we can, and hopefully as high mah as we can. we also view mooch's testing as the best safeties we have, since even stores will list batteries wrong, never mind the actual manufacturers.

Hamhawk

Oct 21, 2016
San Carlos, CA

This is a wonderful talk about batteries with Mooch and the Vaping Biker. I would feel 100% comfortable running VCT5As at 220w on the Alien, wouldn't get the best battery life, but it would be quite safe, even the VCT5s would be ok. In general, for battery life, I try to keep my pulse amps under the continuous discharge rating when possible.

Reactions: Joergl100

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

This is a wonderful talk about batteries with Mooch and the Vaping Biker. I would feel 100% comfortable running VCT5As at 220w on the Alien, wouldn't get the best battery life, but it would be quite safe, even the VCT5s would be ok. In general, for battery life, I try to keep my pulse amps under the continuous discharge rating when possible.

That would be almost 40 amps on a battery Mooch rates at 25 amps, and gives a max vaping amp rating of 30. Not the best of ideas.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Hamhawk

Oct 21, 2016
San Carlos, CA
Except that when combining batteries you get a cumulative effect. That means you can easily put a 40amp load on a set of 25amp batteries and have a 10amp safety margin. Of course, that only really matters if you are going to hold the fire button for hours at a time. The Sony VCT5As can safely be pulsed well above their continuous rating. Take a look at Mooch's pulse charts.

Reactions: Joergl100

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Except that when combining batteries you get a cumulative effect. That means you can easily put a 40amp load on a set of 25amp batteries and have a 10amp safety margin. Of course, that only really matters if you are going to hold the fire button for hours at a time. The Sony VCT5As can safely be pulsed well above their continuous rating. Take a look at Mooch's pulse charts.

That's 40 amps per battery, not 40 amps total. And that's assuming that the current distribution is identical. Almost 15 amps over the cdr, with two batteries heating up together, in an enclosed space. It's no skin of my back if people choose to exceed the cdr, even to such an extreme extent, but I had really hoped that this "its pulsed discharge so it's perfectly safe"-rubbish was a thing of the past. There is no safety margin, and you have no info on "safe pulse lengths" or how long of a pause you need between pulses. Not to mention that the cdr of batteries decreases as batteries age.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread