• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Is the vaping scene in Singapore dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobunny

Jan 12, 2018
Its so sad that we are living in a place that vaping is illegal. Though the endless reports on vaping being a healthier alternative to smoking traditional cigarettes. Nonetheless the government decides to ban it regardless the positive benefits of it and even propagates the false negative effects that will affect both the user and the public. Even if the bad things will not directly affect the users or cause harm to the society. Its an endless black hole that only the people with authority will benefit from it. They rather have us die smoking expensive cancer sticks to make money out of it than have us seek out a better alternative that'll both save our lives and money. Its a sad reality that our people have to endure and live with it, unable to make a single statement. They can say that we have the choice to stop smoking and all these will cease to be a problem for us. But it is a small enjoyment and hobby for some. While the others are trying super hard to quit smoking for themselves and their families. We are just seeking a better alternative to taper our habit and live a little bit longer. Is it wrong? Sorry if this post is violating the rules of this forum, I just want to rant and let my cries to be heard rather than sitting quietly and accepting the cold hard truth that is really stupid and ignorant. I am trying not to make them look bad but everybody knows that it all goes back to THEM at the end of the day. Its all about the money.

Noevay

Moved On
Mar 23, 2018
  • Deleted by classwife

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm sorry to hear of your struggles, which yes, seem par for the course in Singapore. I have to admit if I lived there, I would have a lot of fear about vaping. Doing anything "black/grey" market is just so risky and expensive. I wish you, and all Singapore vapers luck, although it doesn't sound to me like Singapore is at all interested in changing the situation, and I have to say they seem to do a decent job of fining or jailing the vapers that they catch.

I think Singapore is lovely too, I have visited. However, it is not a place where I would prefer to live, based on vaping alone. I hope things get better for you, and I understand your desire to express how you feel about it.

Anna

Reactions: Jobunny

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
I am sorry to hear about your struggles! I visited your country last year around this time and enjoyed touring. I did notice, however, that the government is tightening a grip on everything with fines and very little wiggle room.

I hope that the situation changes for vaping, now that Big Tobacco is practically crashing the Vaping Party so to speak.

In my country, Canada, the sale of eJuice containing nicotine was banned initially but we got pretty active and finally last year they proposed to regulate e-cigarettes under a different category so that they can ban flavours, and we are still grappling with them. So there is hope my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jobunny

Jan 12, 2018
I'm sorry to hear of your struggles, which yes, seem par for the course in Singapore. I have to admit if I lived there, I would have a lot of fear about vaping. Doing anything "black/grey" market is just so risky and expensive. I wish you, and all Singapore vapers luck, although it doesn't sound to me like Singapore is at all interested in changing the situation, and I have to say they seem to do a decent job of fining or jailing the vapers that they catch.

I think Singapore is lovely too, I have visited. However, it is not a place where I would prefer to live, based on vaping alone. I hope things get better for you, and I understand your desire to express how you feel about it.

Anna
Yes it will never change. We're in the cul-de-sac of vaping.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Jobunny

Jan 12, 2018
I am sorry to hear about your struggles! I visited your country last year around this time and enjoyed touring. I did notice, however, that the government is tightening a grip on everything with fines and very little wiggle room.

I hope that the situation changes for vaping, now that Big Tobacco is practically crashing the Vaping Party so to speak.

In my country, Canada, the sale of eJuice containing nicotine was banned initially but we got pretty active and finally last year they proposed to regulate e-cigarettes under a different category so that they can ban flavours, and we are still grappling with them. So there is hope my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm really happy for you and the vapers from countries where it is legal or at least decriminalize. Because come on?! Vaping isn't harming to the society!

• Agree

VforVape

Mar 9, 2018
S-E Asia
Just face the fact that we can't do anything about it.. the gahmen will do what they're good at doing - pushing their moralistic stance against smoking, wasting precious resources on law enforcement and criminalizing a large segment of the population for something which is legal in other countries with reasonable and level-headed policy-making. They're happy to do that instead of taking a hard look at the scientific evidence coming from the health ministries of other countries.

The only thing we can do now is consider moving to other countries where there are better opportunities for our families and actually have a sensible socio-political-legal system. Just look at the current fiasco surrounding the Select Committee on fake news, most of our 'ministars' are treating it like an interrogation session for whoever they deem 'undesirable' who steps through the door. They want the only 'truth' out there to be their 'truth' and the same thing goes for anything related to vaping/smoking.

• Agree

Jobunny

Jan 12, 2018
Just face the fact that we can't do anything about it.. the gahmen will do what they're good at doing - pushing their moralistic stance against smoking, wasting precious resources on law enforcement and criminalizing a large segment of the population for something which is legal in other countries with reasonable and level-headed policy-making. They're happy to do that instead of taking a hard look at the scientific evidence coming from the health ministries of other countries.

The only thing we can do now is consider moving to other countries where there are better opportunities for our families and actually have a sensible socio-political-legal system. Just look at the current fiasco surrounding the Select Committee on fake news, most of our 'ministars' are treating it like an interrogation session for whoever they deem 'undesirable' who steps through the door. They want the only 'truth' out there to be their 'truth' and the same thing goes for anything related to vaping/smoking.
Well, leaving the country to live somewhere else certainly cross my mind everyday. But sadly I can't just go. Sigh, it's a dead end street my friend. Why don't they hear us? Is it only money they care? The pressure of living here is getting more and more intolerable. Locals are becoming mad due to the stress of living here. I hope it changes in the future. It might get better. Or as I would like to think to keep my sanity.

Last edited:

Johnhuat

May 4, 2018
Ya end of the day it all about the taxes money!
Its so sad that we are living in a place that vaping is illegal. Though the endless reports on vaping being a healthier alternative to smoking traditional cigarettes. Nonetheless the government decides to ban it regardless the positive benefits of it and even propagates the false negative effects that will affect both the user and the public. Even if the bad things will not directly affect the users or cause harm to the society. Its an endless black hole that only the people with authority will benefit from it. They rather have us die smoking expensive cancer sticks to make money out of it than have us seek out a better alternative that'll both save our lives and money. Its a sad reality that our people have to endure and live with it, unable to make a single statement. They can say that we have the choice to stop smoking and all these will cease to be a problem for us. But it is a small enjoyment and hobby for some. While the others are trying super hard to quit smoking for themselves and their families. We are just seeking a better alternative to taper our habit and live a little bit longer. Is it wrong? Sorry if this post is violating the rules of this forum, I just want to rant and let my cries to be heard rather than sitting quietly and accepting the cold hard truth that is really stupid and ignorant. I am trying not to make them look bad but everybody knows that it all goes back to THEM at the end of the day. Its all about the money.

• Agree

Tony01

May 3, 2018
They rather have us die smoking expensive cancer sticks to make money out of it than have us seek out a better alternative that'll both save our lives and money. Its a sad reality that our people have to endure and live with it, unable to make a single statement.

I can think of one foolproof "alternative that'll both save our lives and money". Can you guess what it is?

VforVape

Mar 9, 2018
S-E Asia
I have stopped vaping for a while, then recently started again. Now with news of a source who got caught in SG, i think it is not safe to vape anymore. Not worth it. Just screw it and fall back to analogs.

I can never understood why peeps bother buy from local sellers when the penalties and risk of getting caught are so high.. just get what you need from northern sources or even DIY lah. To the sellers - it's seriously not worth it, the pocket change you earn from selling locally won't even be 1/10th of what you'll pay in fines when you eventually get caught, and you get a criminal record as well..

At the end of the day, we only can blame our gahmen for criminalizing a life-saving solution which other countries are in the midst of studying, debating and slowly legalizing :rolleyes:

Arheddis Varkenjaab

May 18, 2018
Hey, would you be willing to be interviewed in a story on Singaporeans trying to quit cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread