Closed/Sold Is ther such a thing as a charitable organization for donating vape gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hello all, long time no see. I began my journey on this site, and first started vaping in 2012, successfully quit the weed but kept vaping until I had an accident that led to my retirement and multiple surgeries. I have not really been able to tinker with my vape gear for years, so my gear ( all mid to high end ) goes unused and unappreciated. My question to this Group is, is there such a thing as a charitable organization I could donate my vape gear to? I would love to put great gear in someone’s hands who otherwise could not afford quality gear. I say charitable organization because the least I would want from my donation is the tax credit. Let me know photos on positive info and request. Check me out I used to buy and sell here with 100% positive reviews

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some VAs will accept vape donations depending on State....... that might have changed. You could ask.
Anna
They can’t anymore, unless you can find someone to hand it out under the table. And no tax receipt... it’s an evil tobacco product in their eyes

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you can't find a place to donate due to the negative vaping sentiment out there, I wonder if you could list your items on the classifieds with some qualifying information, like you are selling it at a steep discount but only to members who aren't in a great financial position. Obviously that would be an honor system type thing.

I think there are some members on here who aren't in a great financial position and who could appreciate high end stuff.

The other option is that you could sell on ECF at fair market value and proceeds go to a cause of your choosing.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that a lot of people do paying it forward I have been the beneficiary of that a couple times people that have gear that don't want it and the idea behind it is that when you come up with gear that you no longer want as the recipient of someone else's stuff you do the same for someone else. Of course that's something that could be taken advantage of the nice thing about a forum is you can search people's posts go back for a while and if they're constantly getting free stuff and never offering things you get the idea. Of course in those situations they could be giving them to people they know in real life. I don't know if there's any actual like nonprofit organization or non-governmental organization that distributes Vape gear to those in need.

Reactions: stols001

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mark Todd in the UK had an interesting approach to unwanted gear, though the group was on fb and I think has been shut down.

Anyone accepted to that special group could post their unwanted gear. Though it wasn't required as I remember, it was a common thing that to grab an item a small donation would need to be made to one of the charities that had already been approved. The person posting the item also could specify if they'd ship for free or if the recipient needed to cover that.

The rule was that members were limited to claiming one item per month and also would need to donate/list something of their own in order to be eligible to claim anything further. It wasn't a hotbed, but quite a few things changed hands sometimes just for the asking.

It was an interesting mix of items. Some were older mainstream mods with little monetary value but with total usefulness. These were usually the ones offered for free or maybe a $5 charity contribution. But some were definitely higher end products with maybe $30 or $50 donation required.

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
46D24765-1959-4F07-9A2F-D90D6E88880A.jpeg
Mark Todd in the UK had an interesting approach to unwanted gear, though the group was on fb and I think has been shut down.

Anyone accepted to that special group could post their unwanted gear. Though it wasn't required as I remember, it was a common thing that to grab an item a small donation would need to be made to one of the charities that had already been approved. The person posting the item also could specify if they'd ship for free or if the recipient needed to cover that.

The rule was that members were limited to claiming one item per month and also would need to donate/list something of their own in order to be eligible to claim anything further. It wasn't a hotbed, but quite a few things changed hands sometimes just for the asking.

It was an interesting mix of items. Some were older mainstream mods with little monetary value but with total usefulness. These were usually the ones offered for free or maybe a $5 charity contribution. But some were definitely higher end products with maybe $30 or $50 donation required.
Thank you all for answering, my gear is all high end gear billet box, Lukos mods..... honestly I have been away from vaping long enough that I do not remember some of the modders? But the remains gear has an original purchase price over $12,000+, am looking to box and ship all to 1 charity for a simple tax receipt

Attachments

• 896F320B-07AA-4700-816C-7FD928BC727A.jpeg
    896F320B-07AA-4700-816C-7FD928BC727A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 450374E6-813E-48CC-A12A-FACE1D211694.jpeg
    450374E6-813E-48CC-A12A-FACE1D211694.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • AF9C11CE-F60B-4D6F-81F4-630EB29B8681.jpeg
    AF9C11CE-F60B-4D6F-81F4-630EB29B8681.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
View attachment 909871
Thank you all for answering, my gear is all high end gear billet box, Lukos mods..... honestly I have been away from vaping long enough that I do not remember some of the modders? But the remains gear has an original purchase price over $12,000+, am looking to box and ship all to 1 charity for a simple tax receipt
Try again DFFFCC2A-5574-4012-9345-0D9849030961.jpeg A5456DE0-9AB1-46D4-BB35-5575B0AC6335.jpeg 5DC5AE23-9162-43E2-B8F6-F9FA4105DB98.jpeg 306579D1-E942-4501-8E5A-58F88119146B.jpeg

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you are in the USA that is not going to happen. Sorry. NO charity capable of issuing a tax legit "vape gear 12K donation" no longer exists. If it's old enough, it might meet the exemption box as being before the deeming date. HOWEVER that does not mean Goodwill is gonna want your gear (Especially with COVID) let alone issue you a 12K DONATION receipt in one receipt that you can use to deduct on your taxes.

The best you are going get is selling it on the classifieds, and taking a hit monetarily and doing the effort of listing it. If it's a bunch of smaller items you may well get away with a smaller or no tax hit because frankly you are not going to get what you PAID for it. It's old. It's used. It is also (IMHO anyway) a shot here at "making the most" with the least effort and if you owe in taxes yes a 12K deduction could be QUTIE SIGNIFICANT.

Unfortunately, the only "nice" thing you can do for vapers generally is to list it for sale in clean, decent condition for reasonable prices. But you aren't going to get a royal flush for this stuff for no effort, sorry. Maybe 2 jacks and an ace of spades, with a bit of work.

Again, sorry. Also, will not be buying although you certainly can sell here like anywhere else.

It's just it sounds more like a quick buck scheme than "honor vaping HELP a charity scheme" if you ask me, and if that is YOUR old stuff or a relatives, MY GUESS is you know "all" about charitable giving and the benefits thereof. Hell, I do too, but I list my stuff on receipts as FAIR MARKET PRICE not what I paid, come on now.

See what you can sell em for or dump them into the bay crying "DAMN DEEMING AND MY TAXES!:

No offense and I could be wrong but calling it like I sees it.

Anna

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you are in the USA that is not going to happen. Sorry. NO charity capable of issuing a tax legit "vape gear 12K donation" no longer exists. If it's old enough, it might meet the exemption box as being before the deeming date. HOWEVER that does not mean Goodwill is gonna want your gear (Especially with COVID) let alone issue you a 12K DONATION receipt in one receipt that you can use to deduct on your taxes.

The best you are going get is selling it on the classifieds, and taking a hit monetarily and doing the effort of listing it. If it's a bunch of smaller items you may well get away with a smaller or no tax hit because frankly you are not going to get what you PAID for it. It's old. It's used. It is also (IMHO anyway) a shot here at "making the most" with the least effort and if you owe in taxes yes a 12K deduction could be QUTIE SIGNIFICANT.

Unfortunately, the only "nice" thing you can do for vapers generally is to list it for sale in clean, decent condition for reasonable prices. But you aren't going to get a royal flush for this stuff for no effort, sorry. Maybe 2 jacks and an ace of spades, with a bit of work.

Again, sorry. Also, will not be buying although you certainly can sell here like anywhere else.

It's just it sounds more like a quick buck scheme than "honor vaping HELP a charity scheme" if you ask me, and if that is YOUR old stuff or a relatives, MY GUESS is you know "all" about charitable giving and the benefits thereof. Hell, I do too, but I list my stuff on receipts as FAIR MARKET PRICE not what I paid, come on now.

See what you can sell em for or dump them into the bay crying "DAMN DEEMING AND MY TAXES!:

Anna
I never said I expected original price, I am donating for probably 1500-2000 in the form of a tax receipt. I forgot how trollish here some people on the forum can be, how suspicious every one is! Oh yeah, that why I took my old gear sales to eBay and by donation, I mean no money in return, solely for the charity to do with as they wish. People like you take the joy out of donating.... sorry just calling it as I see it

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Anna
What an ...

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Very much uncalled for.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
I guess you would have to be sitting in my shoes, I am making an honest attempt to pass on my 4-6 year old high end gear for free. I know the tax laws, I understand what I am attempting to do. Yes a member feels it is her responsibility to school me on the how to and more, than insulting my offer as a scam? No! She deserved more than I gave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread