Is there a big advantage to high drain 18650s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilgrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Orlando
As opposed to a protected 18650? I see conflicting reports - some saying the high drain can handle higher amperage but that it's really not needed or applicable and that they'll just discharge faster - others saying it's all people will use.

I'm slightly concerned that with the high drain, they warn against overcharging - that could be a problem as I typically put them on the charger at night while I sleep. Are there issues with overcharging the HD batteries?

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Check out this video!
That was kinda worthless. I would have been interested in an AW black compared though.
That only tells one minor part of the story.

My seat of pants testing tells me that for 18650 go with AW ..... either black protected - or - red IMR

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Depending upon battery quality, it DOES make a difference.. There have been quite a few reports on ECF regarding LR attys tripping protection circuits on TrustFire & UltraFire 18650 "3000" mAh batteries..

AW high drain batteries will provide consistent voltage and amperage for your vape. Will protected AW 18650's work? Sure thing.. they will.. BUT, after the first 20-30% of a fresh charge, expect voltage droop to a degree, and along with this, a reduction in amps (heat) to the atty...

Evilgrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Orlando
Depending upon battery quality, it DOES make a difference.. There have been quite a few reports on ECF regarding LR attys tripping protection circuits on TrustFire & UltraFire 18650 "3000" mAh batteries..

AW high drain batteries will provide consistent voltage and amperage for your vape. Will protected AW 18650's work? Sure thing.. they will.. BUT, after the first 20-30% of a fresh charge, expect voltage droop to a degree, and along with this, a reduction in amps (heat) to the atty...

Bolded is precisely what I've been using to date. Maybe I'll get a high drain and see what that's all about.

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
My question is how long does an imr last in a reo on a single charge. I like that the voltage doesn't drop off as much until they are dead but how much vaping time does it take to drain one? If i can get a solid day of vaping on a single charge on the imr I would be happy.

If you don't get a full day off a protected batt, IMR won't be any different. The IMRs hit better not longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread