The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Is there a Charger for storing batteries long term?

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by wadid, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. wadid

wadid Full Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Hi,
    I have several batteries for my e leaf pico. It is li-ion batteries?
    I did read that you shouldnt store them fully charged and every six months you need to recharge them to 50-75%.
    I wanted to ask if there is a device which does that stuff by itself?

• Like Like x 5
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    :pop:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. sdennislee

sdennislee Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Alaska
    Watching

• Like Like x 1
  4. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Rather than store them, I'd use and rotate them.
    I have about 20 in rotation.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi,
    Depending on how many batteries you have, you may be better served using the cells in rotation. (@puffon :thumbs: )
    Average battery life is 300-500 recharge cycles. By NOT depleting the cells to 3.1V (Pico "Low battery" level), you can extend the useful life of each cell.

Cheers
    I

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. wadid

wadid Full Member

Jul 21, 2016
    I dont smoke and vape at all at the moment. Actually since 6 months. Yesterday evening I tested the batteries. 4 of them were still like 95% full, one was 65 % and another was around 45%. So what I did was charging the 45% one to 75%.

I didnt think that most of the batteries will have 95%... Its good that the lithium ions batteries hold the charge so long.

But another thing is that I did read that you shouldn't store the batteries longterm in fully charged condition.... I did read that its easier for them to burn like that and I think there was said something about a chemical reaction when they get stored fully charged?

It seems like this battery stuff is pretty delicate if you want to handle it right. Is there maybe a charger which you can program on the computer? Because with the charger that I have now, I can only charge the batteries. I think thats a bit unpractical.

• Like Like x 1
  7. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Be aware that batteries start to degrade once they leave the factory whether you use them or not, so rotation rather than storage is probably a better option. If you do decide to store them, the battery university recommends a storage charge for an 18650 of 3.84 volts.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is. It's an interesting idea, though. They'll last the longest if you store them in a cool (not cold) place charged to 3.7 (or perhaps 3.84, as sonicbomb says). You could set a reminder on your computer to pull them out and check them every 2 - 3 months, and charge them up to your storage point when they drop to 3.5 or so.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that a storage charger would be the best idea. It would mean leaving the batteries connected to a circuit the whole time, which would both increase risk and gradually deplete the charge. You also wouldn't know when it would kick in so you might not be around to supervise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wadid

wadid Full Member

Jul 21, 2016
    yeah. The battery university! Thats some serious stuff!

My charger shows only percentage. Into what percentage will 3.7V translate? And how can I decharge?

• Like Like x 1
  11. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    About 50%
    Discharge by using them in a mod

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Not much to add here other than to say that batteries are "happiest" when they are stored at their median charge level, which is around 3.6 volts, +/- 0.2 volts. They should not be stored at their full 4.2 volts, and not allowed to drain to 2.5 volts, which will probably kill them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Smokey James

Smokey James Unresolved Status

Jan 19, 2019
    You can try doing what I've done with mine. Buy a plug in Xmas light timer and plug your battery charger. Set the timer to turn on for about 15 minutes a day to charge the batteries. Li-ion batteries have no memory like alkalines do. My batteries are kept ready to go. Also, if you don't have a charger large enough for all, rotate the ones you do use thru a normal charger. Try to keep as many as needed for mods to be able to work daily, with a battery swap every morning. Also, letting a li-ion battery die every once in a great while won't kill it, just helps it come back to full faster, plus helps it last longer!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Um... are you discussing a charger that you can put batteries in and sort of magically "set" the charger to "top up" your batteries to a certain amount or something else? Because the former doesn't exist, and it really shouldn't. You don't want to leave your batteries "on" a charger for any long time period, at all.

Most chargers will give you some kind of indication. I have a newer, bells and whistles charger that will show me exactly what voltage my charge is at, but even my trusty old Nitecore 2 bay will give me a battery fullness indication, in units of 1/3. Etc.

You are better off just using them in my opinion. I got some lovely new batteries and am about to purge some of my first, most elderly batteries. It is time for us to "say goodbye." Etc.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. wadid

wadid Full Member

Jul 21, 2016
    For car batteries such a device exists

• Like Like x 1
  16. gpjoe

gpjoe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    Get a nice flashlight and use em in rotation.

That's the best I got :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Hitcat44

Hitcat44 mere Pawn in Game of Life Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Ft. Vape-WKY
    IMO,,,, ya Batts are like ya Boxers..... Rotate/Change OFTEN.
    For if ya don't,,,,, things gonna go to Sh---hmm hmm hmm, Crap all around sooner or/than later :D

many more likewise analogous ditties come to mind but.... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    18650's hold a charge for a long time, but they will drop after a while as internal resistance slowly drains the charge. Any 18650 will drop from the 4.2v level down to something like 4.15v in a week or two in storage. At least that's been my experience. Your best bet is to check voltages and top them off if needed.

19. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    That last part isn’t true. :)
    Li-ion batteries never need to be fully cycled like NiCd or NiMH batteries do in order prevent loss of capacity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Andnobodyknows

Andnobodyknows Full Member

Feb 16, 2019
    I thought the new xtar chargers had a maintainability mode. As well as the refresh mode. For storing and reviving. I’ll have to post that model number when I find it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.