Is there a Charger for storing batteries long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
I have several batteries for my e leaf pico. It is li-ion batteries?
I did read that you shouldnt store them fully charged and every six months you need to recharge them to 50-75%.
I wanted to ask if there is a device which does that stuff by itself?
Hi,
Depending on how many batteries you have, you may be better served using the cells in rotation. (@puffon :thumbs: )
Average battery life is 300-500 recharge cycles. By NOT depleting the cells to 3.1V (Pico "Low battery" level), you can extend the useful life of each cell.

Cheers
I

wadid

Jul 21, 2016
I dont smoke and vape at all at the moment. Actually since 6 months. Yesterday evening I tested the batteries. 4 of them were still like 95% full, one was 65 % and another was around 45%. So what I did was charging the 45% one to 75%.

I didnt think that most of the batteries will have 95%... Its good that the lithium ions batteries hold the charge so long.

But another thing is that I did read that you shouldn't store the batteries longterm in fully charged condition.... I did read that its easier for them to burn like that and I think there was said something about a chemical reaction when they get stored fully charged?

It seems like this battery stuff is pretty delicate if you want to handle it right. Is there maybe a charger which you can program on the computer? Because with the charger that I have now, I can only charge the batteries. I think thats a bit unpractical.

Reactions: stols001

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Be aware that batteries start to degrade once they leave the factory whether you use them or not, so rotation rather than storage is probably a better option. If you do decide to store them, the battery university recommends a storage charge for an 18650 of 3.84 volts.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hi,
I have several batteries for my e leaf pico. It is li-ion batteries?
I did read that you shouldnt store them fully charged and every six months you need to recharge them to 50-75%.
I wanted to ask if there is a device which does that stuff by itself?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is. It's an interesting idea, though. They'll last the longest if you store them in a cool (not cold) place charged to 3.7 (or perhaps 3.84, as sonicbomb says). You could set a reminder on your computer to pull them out and check them every 2 - 3 months, and charge them up to your storage point when they drop to 3.5 or so.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that a storage charger would be the best idea. It would mean leaving the batteries connected to a circuit the whole time, which would both increase risk and gradually deplete the charge. You also wouldn't know when it would kick in so you might not be around to supervise.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not much to add here other than to say that batteries are "happiest" when they are stored at their median charge level, which is around 3.6 volts, +/- 0.2 volts. They should not be stored at their full 4.2 volts, and not allowed to drain to 2.5 volts, which will probably kill them.

Smokey James

Unresolved Status
Jan 19, 2019
I dont smoke and vape at all at the moment. Actually since 6 months. Yesterday evening I tested the batteries. 4 of them were still like 95% full, one was 65 % and another was around 45%. So what I did was charging the 45% one to 75%.

I didnt think that most of the batteries will have 95%... Its good that the lithium ions batteries hold the charge so long.

But another thing is that I did read that you shouldn't store the batteries longterm in fully charged condition.... I did read that its easier for them to burn like that and I think there was said something about a chemical reaction when they get stored fully charged?

It seems like this battery stuff is pretty delicate if you want to handle it right. Is there maybe a charger which you can program on the computer? Because with the charger that I have now, I can only charge the batteries. I think thats a bit unpractical.

You can try doing what I've done with mine. Buy a plug in Xmas light timer and plug your battery charger. Set the timer to turn on for about 15 minutes a day to charge the batteries. Li-ion batteries have no memory like alkalines do. My batteries are kept ready to go. Also, if you don't have a charger large enough for all, rotate the ones you do use thru a normal charger. Try to keep as many as needed for mods to be able to work daily, with a battery swap every morning. Also, letting a li-ion battery die every once in a great while won't kill it, just helps it come back to full faster, plus helps it last longer!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um... are you discussing a charger that you can put batteries in and sort of magically "set" the charger to "top up" your batteries to a certain amount or something else? Because the former doesn't exist, and it really shouldn't. You don't want to leave your batteries "on" a charger for any long time period, at all.

Most chargers will give you some kind of indication. I have a newer, bells and whistles charger that will show me exactly what voltage my charge is at, but even my trusty old Nitecore 2 bay will give me a battery fullness indication, in units of 1/3. Etc.

You are better off just using them in my opinion. I got some lovely new batteries and am about to purge some of my first, most elderly batteries. It is time for us to "say goodbye." Etc.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
18650's hold a charge for a long time, but they will drop after a while as internal resistance slowly drains the charge. Any 18650 will drop from the 4.2v level down to something like 4.15v in a week or two in storage. At least that's been my experience. Your best bet is to check voltages and top them off if needed.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    You can try doing what I've done with mine. Buy a plug in Xmas light timer and plug your battery charger. Set the timer to turn on for about 15 minutes a day to charge the batteries. Li-ion batteries have no memory like alkalines do. My batteries are kept ready to go. Also, if you don't have a charger large enough for all, rotate the ones you do use thru a normal charger. Try to keep as many as needed for mods to be able to work daily, with a battery swap every morning. Also, letting a li-ion battery die every once in a great while won't kill it, just helps it come back to full faster, plus helps it last longer!

That last part isn’t true. :)
    Li-ion batteries never need to be fully cycled like NiCd or NiMH batteries do in order prevent loss of capacity.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread