The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Is there a checklist for beginners?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Ladiekali, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ladiekali

Ladiekali Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    Id like to give diy a try.
    I dont really understand everything i need.
    Is there a checklist somewhere of what you need to do this.

cylinders,
    droppers, gloves... That sort of thing.

2. Hoosier

Hoosier Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Good idea...

It might work if all of us mixed the same way...

Why don't you say something about your style and how you envision it going?

3. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    I believe the style mentioned was "beginner" and the vision was "don't really understand everything i need" so perhaps the assistance can be provided from there as a starting point...

4. Hoosier

Jan 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Beginner is almost meaningless in DIY mixing. I've seen first timers hit 3 great recipes on the first try and others who took months to get there.

And the vision response will let an experienced mixer know what is understood and what needs to be filled in.

Do you really want to take issue with the way I help new mixers? I don't see your post offering help or trying to get feedback so you can help the OP, just attack my post that is attempting to help. Maybe not in a way you understand, but that's the reason for my post.

5. Screamin Eagle

Screamin Eagle Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2013
    Maryland
    Well, the easiest (and cheepest) way I would think to get started is to gather some things from your local stores. This way if you get into it and deside it isn't for you (THAT doesn't happen very offten, but it does happen) your not really out too much.

This is the way I did it. I use a 100% VG base and 0 nicotine.

From Rite-Aid.... Glycerin USP (VG), at least two eye dropers, a 10ml liquid medicne measuring syringe.

From Wal Mart, your local baking store, or local candy making store .... LorAnn candy flavorings ( I use caramel, peach, cherry, cotton candy, and bubble gum with good results), a gallon jug of Distilled water (this will last you near a life time).

From your local grocery store.... liquid sucralose (liquid splenda).

From your local vape shop..... empty 15ml dropper bottles. These are a good way to start as you can mix any amount of liquid from 3ml to 15ml.

From dot1ml | Eliquid calculator & recipe repository or E-Liquid Recipe Name..... a good juice calculator and some recipes. Play around with some fictitious recipes to get a hang of how the calculators work.

From http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/439217-simple-recipes.html .... Some more easy recipes.

From DIY E-Liquid .... Do some research and get an idea of how to mix, where to be cautious, what steps to take to keep you safe, and to learn from others mistakes.

If I'm missing anything, someone please add it in.

6. pamdis

pamdis Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2013
    IL
    Here's what I use. I got it all from Wizard Labs.

3 1ml syringes
    3 3ml syringes
    3 5ml syringes
    5 each of the 14ga, 16ga, 18ga, 20ga needle tips
    12 10ml bottles
    12 30ml bottles

If I'm making a 5ml test, I put together three 1ml syringes:
    20ga needle for flavors
    18ga for PG first, then reuse for nic (my nic is 100%pg)
    14ga for VG
    and measure right into a 10ml bottle.

I buy my nic in 500ml bottle, and PG and VG by the liter. So I also bought small (some 1 oz, and some 4 oz) amber glass bottles and a small funnel to pour each into a smaller bottle for mixing sessions. (Too hard to use a syringe to get out of the huge bottles) For the rest of the nic, I pour into 8oz amber glass bottles and put in freezer. Bought bottles and funnel on Amazon.

Labels for sticking on side of bottles (label the smaller bottles of nic, PG, VG, as well as whatever bottles of juice mixed up). Bought labels at office supply store, but they don't stick well over time, so will be looking for better label options.

7. Screamin Eagle

Aug 15, 2013
    Maryland
    Split double post!!?? How did THAT happen? Oops!

8. Ladiekali

Sep 1, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    Thanks for this, i didnt t even think of labels!

9. Ladiekali

Sep 1, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    I havnt found a local vape shop yet. Would be nice.

Im confused on one thing maybe u guys can help.

If u are only suppose to use fda approved flavoring, what about tobacco flavor, i cant find any that are fda approved or is this just how tobacco flavor is?

10. Hoosier

Jan 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Since the FDA only approves flavoring for use in cooking, it is unlikely there are too many folks wanting to make cigar flavored hard candy or cake icing, so I'd imagine that would be rather tough to find.

The SC lines at Vaping Zone and Ecig Express aren't too bad. Flavour Art's tobaccos are pretty good, but can be tougher to work with but the results can be worth twice the effort. Many folks like the tobaccos from TPA/TFA too. So there should be plenty of choices for you.

11. Screamin Eagle

Aug 15, 2013
    Maryland
    Well you can always order your bottles on line. I got some good ones from Fasttech (but I waited for them), and e-bay. But there are countless other places that will sell you DIY bottles. If you do order some consider getting at least a few needle tiped bottles for filling any hard to fill set up you might have or get in the future. You can also use the 3ml syringes with the blunt tipped needles to fill with if you get any. Which would be a good idea if you put a good order together. On E-Bay you can find alot of "free shipping" places and can order a good many things that you will need.

12. Ladiekali

Sep 1, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    Well that makes me feel a lot better about ordering them.

13. pnut599

pnut599 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    Hey screamineagle, just have questions about this. I am also just starting to mix. My order is on it's way. I was wondering, don't you put any PG in your mix? Do you also vape at 0 nic? I just ordered 250 mL 60mg Nic 100% VG & PG USP - 250ml from Wizard Labs. Was I supposed to order VG on it's own also? I thought that with the VG in the Nic I wouldn't need anymore. Just when I thought I had it, I feel confused again :)

14. Hoofhearted62

Hoofhearted62 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2013
    South Park, Pa. USA
    brother ptouch is a great label option, I use it on everything. even my tanks so I know whats in them

15. rasmith1959

rasmith1959 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    Guthrie, OK
    Well if you need VG or not would depend greatly on your desired final PG/VG ratio and what nic level your mix is going to be. So for example if you want your nic to be 18 mg/ml your final mix would contain 30% of your VG nic base. If that's fine with you then you wouldn't need more VG, otherwise you would if you wanted a higher VG content.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4

16. pnut599

Sep 15, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    I should have specified that I like around 12mg nic at 50-50. Sorry about that.
    So it sounds like I do need a separate bottle of VG. Crap, I wish I would have seen this thread first. :)
    I only originally thought about this question when I was practicing on an e-liquid calculator. I felt something didn't look right.

Just to clarify, I ordered
    60mg Nicotine 100% VG - 250ml
    Propylene Glycol USP - 250ml

17. Ladiekali

Sep 1, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    i think...
    not sure...
    i think that's gonna give you a nic level of 30!

18. Ladiekali

Sep 1, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    i think you need to get some more vg and pg with out nic.

19. rasmith1959

rasmith1959 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    Guthrie, OK
    Ok so at 12 mg, around 33.3% of your final mix will be your nic base. So yes you'll definitely need some VG to achieve your desired 50/50 PG/VG ratio.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4

20. pnut599

Sep 15, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks so much!! I'll get an order in right away since I screwed up :) Then again, I put my order in at Wizard Labs on Oct. 1 and it's still processing.

I know as soon as I get into it I'll understand it a lot more. I'm just excited to get going!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.