Is there a way to prime a cartomizer before using it for the first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
Heya :)

I'm still pretty new to vaping, but I have been messing around with different ways to vape (from dripping to clearos, tanks and cartos lol). Anyway, I am back at cartos again because although they do hurt my throat a little, I find them to be the least hassle and have less chance of being doa etc.

I have noticed though that they seem to work best after having been filled and vaped a bit. Is there any way to say "prime" a carto before you use it so that when you do use it it will give the cleaner taste it does after a couple of uses? I was thinking about using one of the cleaning techniques on a new unused carto and then filling it to see if that may do it?

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
Oh I am not having a problem filling them :)

I just find that after they have been filled, vaped about 1/2 empty and then refilled, they just vape more smoothly. I'm not quite sure how to explain it other than that :/

I fill them using the "condom" method, then I do the spin and blow them out (the first time), so I am quite sure they are being filled properly. I also don't use 100% vg with them - either 70/30 or 50/50 PG/VG, it's not that they die too fast, it's that they just don't vape as well initially - and it's cartos from more than 1 supplier standard res and low res one lol.

Maybe it's just me being weird or something - thanks for the suggestions :)

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Well, after you've vaped on it a bit the coil gets seasoned better. On a rebuildable atty, a fresh-wound and never burned coil sometimes doesn't vape as well as one that has been in use for a short while (this is also the same as what is referred to as the "break-in" period on a newly purchased atty), so I would assume the same is true with cartos since the coil wire is the same stuff. While I haven't noticed it quite as much with cartos, I do know what you're talking about :) I haven't found any tricks to "break them in" any faster other than just filling it up and vaping my head off ;-)

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
If you plan ahead, you can fill one a day or two before. Roll it around a little after full, and then stand it up over night, or for about 2 days.

I like them about the 3rd day in of vaping, and have found if I can plan ahead and let one soak a couple of days it tastes much better. Best way I have found is to fill one on my first day off (Saturday), by Monday it is really soaked in, and I keep looking in there whenever I think about it and topping off the soaking process.

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
Hehe - I think only killjoy1 understood what I was talking about :)

I often leave cartos overnight and sometimes a day or 2 after filling them for the first time(this happens mostly when I get new atties or a new clearo or tank to play with lol), it doesn't matter how long they are left for, the first time I vape them before refilling them just isn't as smooth as when they are more broken in - it's not a major issue at all though, I was just curious if anyone had a way to prime them for their first use or break them in faster.

The coil theory is probably correct I think though :)

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
I'm glad you found my post useful, Samyaza, 'cos a lot of the time I don't make much sense . . . I guess you caught me on a good day :laugh:

All the other advice is good stuff, though. A lot of newbies don't always let their cartos get fully saturated on the first fill, causing them to run dry and burn up faster, which in turn can affect flavor badly. In your case, that doesn't sound to be the case, but still good pointers nonetheless ;-)

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Hi -

+1 on filling them and letting them sit for as long as you can - the 30 minute suggestion wouldn't hurt, but I've always just done a minute or two. If I ever use cartos again, I'll probably let them soak a little longer than I have been.

That gets me to my real reason for replying. Since you say that you've used tanks and are going back to cartos, I have to believe that you're missing something. I just went from a Joye 510 with cartos to the Ego-T, and I would never dream of going back to cartos. Long-lasting, great hits, no leaks, hassle-free, cleaner taste, great battery life (1000 mah); couldn't be happier. What was your experience with tanks, and what brand/model was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread