Is there anybody who understand computers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hi guys. I have a question and I wonder if somebody can help?

Is it possible to use two computers running on the one network in one house but have a vpn set up on one computer but both running through the same router and WiFi connection?

So the computers cannot be linked by IP address?

Thanks

Ps. I don’t understand computers :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Pretty sure that’s not how IP addresses work. This sounds sketchy btw.

As to the question posed in your headline I believe the answer is “no. There are none.” People at best tend to understand only the part they have to deal with regularly. As a totality they approach inscrutability.

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
Short answer is I would suggest you just use a vpn provider who allows multiple; like torguard that allows 5 simultaneous connections. Just have openvpn running on each.

Long answer is you could just put it on the router (like an ASUS flashed with Asuswrt-Merlin) so everything connected (computers, phones, etc) goes through the one vpn connection. But then you would probably need a new subnet with a static route to other computers on your original internal network range. Basically what I do; but just do the short answer.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@bombastinator
Lol
I just wonder if it can be done

@APathos
Many thanks. So you run multiples of the vpn on different hardware or you can run the vpn on your one desktop and allow multiple connections?
Just using different browsers?

Thanks. As you can tell, I’m finding it hard to understand
:thumb:
There is or was atone time such a thing as IP spoofing. It’s a totally black hat activity and I know little about how it works. The internet might though

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
@bombastinator
Lol
I just wonder if it can be done

@APathos
Many thanks. So you run multiples of the vpn on different hardware or you can run the vpn on your one desktop and allow multiple connections?
Just using different browsers?

Thanks. As you can tell, I’m finding it hard to understand
:thumb:

Yes, I run one connection on one of my wireless routers so wireless (laptops, cellphones, etc) and wired (roku, xbox, etc) connections on that router are always running over the encrypted vpn. Then for other wired computers not on that router i just run individual vpn connections. So everything out of my house is over the vpn unless I manually turn one off (there are reasons to - like i want a better multiplayer game ping that doesn't have to travel across the united states and back). Browser WebRTC had some leaks reveling ip info, but I haven't really kept up on the state of that, and you can block that (but need to enable for things like hangout video conversations and such).

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread