Is there still anti e cig propaganda out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Seriously, I think it's ridiculous. My friend's girlfriend told me last night that she received some article in her email last week, about how vaping is worse for you than cigarettes. So, I looked it up on google. She said it was a big story that she even saw on the news. Google turned up nothing for "e cigarettes worse than cigarettes". You'd think a big story like that would turn up, and she defended it by saying that it was only a week old. A week old? The internet updates by the second.

Some more reading today, I turned out a study. One testimonial said that he still experiences all the breathing issues related to smoking, coughing, wheezing, etc. I'm floored by this. When I first took up ecigs, hacking in the morning ceased. Wheezing while breathing ceased. Energy increased. A smoker friend of mine moved in with me, and I started smoking again. A little at first, then increased to a pack a day again. Eventually, all the smoking symptoms came back.

I've been on the ecig now for two days again. Guess what? Wheezing stopped. Hacking stopped. Who the hell are these people that say that ecigs are no different that traditional cigs? I just don't get it. I have real life experience here that tells quite a different story. Twice, I had had the same results. Can't be a fluke.

SilentEcho13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
New York
Ask her to forward you the email and let us check it out. I don't believe it. Numerous studies have claimed them as safe.

As for the testimonial, everyone's different. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy posted the review an hour after his first draw on an ecig. Then again, he could be the guy with every lung condition in the book, up until the point where vaping doesn't save him.

I powerlift, and I passed out during a competition list because I couldn't breathe. I picked up vaping a couple of days later and I still couldn't breath, but 3-4 days after that my lungs were as clear as glass.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
I'll see what I can do. She tried to show it to me, but I didn't get to read it in the 10 seconds that it allowed, and it went away. Honestly, I don't think it was a reputable source. If she saw it on WGN news, then I'm willing to bet that they aired the story as a sensational piece. As for you, silent echo, you're echoing what I'm saying. Of course you're not going to get rid of health problems immediately by not smoking. If that were the case, we wouldn't be wheezing or hacking first thing in the morning after not smoking for up to 8 hours while sleeping.

Biologically, we're all the same, but I agree. Everyone is a bit different and it could take more time to heal for some, than others. But, why can't people just believe us when we tell them that we can breath a whole lot better? I can also tell a fake story to something real. Read between the lines, and you'll uncover some sales pitch on the fake ones.

Factor52

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2013
Connecticut
posted by Rolygate:

ECF Members: please remember to break links to junk articles, lurid press releases and anti-cig propaganda.

By linking to them you give them a massive boost of googlejuice from ECF. Posts here are indexed by Google in a matter of minutes and get maximum weight with them, as they regard us as a gold source (we have thousands of Google #1 results and a massive TrustRank with them). If you give links to pharma-funded liars and incompetent journalists then you aren't helping the community at all. The search engines give more weight to resources linked to from out of ECF. We are happy to give that help to community resources and even to ecig vendors, as it all helps - but not to paid liars and loony toons.

Just break the link by making a space before and after the domain name, like this, and people can see where it is but there is no hyperlink:

www. junkscience .com/pharma-lies.html

Thanks

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
That's a good article, Jades. Eli Lake sounds like an idiot, or at best, a propaganda machine for the anti smoking organizations. I've never heard anyone say that vaping is 100% safe. As a thinking human being, I wouldn't dream of saying that doing something unnatural to the human body is just as safe as not doing something unnatural to the human body. I just know what my body is telling me, and it says that I'm on the road to a healthier way of life. Is this fight against e cigs going to continue until all we'll be able to do is smoke or quit?

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
There is still quite a lot of "anti-e-cig" propaganda out there...I see it from time to time (recent articles...not ones resurrected from a year or more ago). I'm starting to see more PRO e-cig and positive articles on them, recently, though. Reputable news sources (can't remember them all now, but know FOX was one of them...yes, reputable, regardless of your politics). There are several I've seen. CNN too, I think. And our local news ran a story about a month ago about a local B&M e-cig shop and talked about e-cigs in a positive light (opposite from last year's reports after the FL guy blew his tongue off with an exploding home-made mod). Anyway...it's getting better. Seems like most reports I've heard from people on the streets is that e-cigs (PVs) are not even causing a ripple as far as people freaking out or complaining about them lately.

I feel pretty hopeful that the attitude of the general public are shifting more in our favor. I hope so. It seems like it's trending that way.

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
posted by Rolygate:

ECF Members: please remember to break links to junk articles, lurid press releases and anti-cig propaganda.

By linking to them you give them a massive boost of googlejuice from ECF. Posts here are indexed by Google in a matter of minutes and get maximum weight with them, as they regard us as a gold source (we have thousands of Google #1 results and a massive TrustRank with them). If you give links to pharma-funded liars and incompetent journalists then you aren't helping the community at all. The search engines give more weight to resources linked to from out of ECF. We are happy to give that help to community resources and even to ecig vendors, as it all helps - but not to paid liars and loony toons.

Just break the link by making a space before and after the domain name, like this, and people can see where it is but there is no hyperlink:

www. junkscience .com/pharma-lies.html

Thanks

went ahead and deleted it , the people I posted it for seen it and not really a reason to keep it up broken or whole :) Sorry

CowDog

Jan 30, 2013
Washington, DC
Vaping is an unknown so people will have reservations. A journalist ‘informing the public’ can write an informative factual essay OR a sensationalized fabricated shocking expose. One will sell better.

I will give FDA credence when they have a rocking New Members forum of cigarette quitters like ECF. Until then their policy of quit or die is asinine.

Tanti

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Nebraska
People are scared of what they dont understand, lots of false information leads to people being even more scared.
That is why its our job as vapers to inform, educate,and show how much better than smoking, PVs are.
There are lots of people, companies, associations, and politicians out there that would be hurt by the PV becoming main stream. Hurt in their pocket. Drug companies unless they jump on the bandwagon like the tobacco companies seem to have stand to loose big time.
There are even countries that depend on the revenue that is caused by the tobacco companies and people smoking.
The all might buck speaks louder than any good the e-cig might be doing, if this werent so cigarettes and its cousins would have been ban along time ago when they found out how dangerious they are. Think about it what other thing that would be equally dangerious is left to be sold on the market to people?

We know the truth of PV and the good they do, spread the word, educate!

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
A lot of Smokers are clinging to anything negative. Its just human nature they would like to justify their selves.

THIS.... and the nonsmokers who are cranky about me being able to enjoy my nic fix without killing myself. Yes, vaping is an unknown over the course of 20-30 years. I'm not completely sure that inhaling VG and food flavoring won't cause some harm. I AM completely sure that smoking was harming me far more though. As an educated adult, I'm choosing to roll the dice.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
heh - then there are people like me. I spent 5 years envious of vapers. I smoked a pipe and all the e-pipes out there were either too expensive to try or got bad reviews. I was not about to start "smoking" an eCig when I was a dedicated pipe smoker! Pure sillyness I know, but there is a psychology involved there. I finally found one I could afford to try last October, got it Friday Nov 2 and have not looked back since!

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
These are a lot of good posts on the subject. I should go back and press the like button on all of them. It seems to me that lots of time has passed. It's been two years since I first picked up this thing. I thought the waters would have cleared on this one. Oh yeah, this was the kind of article that expires and vanishes. She can't see it anymore. It went away just when I started reading it. Amazing. I don't think it's a reputable source. If something was on the news, I'll bet some idiots at the station didn't know that their sources were full of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread