Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Charging my LG HG2's (3000mah rating) that are drained to 3.2v gives me a 2775 MAH value when the cells reach full charge. so, I agree that most of the power curve must be exhausted by the time 2.8v is reached and there's a rapid decline in power from 3.2v.
I'm not sure if there is a calculation the charger makes based on voltage, or if there is a power curve (not a battery expert here) but if there is a power curve, that would make it exponentially harder to calculate the mah remaining in a battery.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
... It won't be 100% accurate since as I mentioned before, most of them trickle charge the last bit. Maybe the charger could even factor in the trickle charge at the end.
Yeah that trickle charge is a waste of time IMHO. Chargers could be designed to skip that part by applying enough voltage to keep it at 1A or whatever current. But if they do that, they must pause briefly to see what the current voltage is on the cell. And trickle charging happens somewhere after 4.15v anyway. And that is better than 95% charged anyway and I don't see any sense waiting through the trickle charge just to get to that extra 5%.

Reactions: stols001

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I don't see a problem. I wanted an 8 port XTAR VC4, but they didn't make one. So I bought two VC4 or what I call a VC8. :D

Where we charge at only has 1 plug available. Yeah I could buy extension cords, plug splitters, and other such, but I want a new charger anyway (mine only charges at 500mA), so may as well get a 4 port and be done with it.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Where we charge at only has 1 plug available. Yeah I could buy extension cords, plug splitters, and other such, but I want a new charger anyway (mine only charges at 500mA), so may as well get a 4 port and be done with it.
You mean one AC plug? Well the XTAR MASTER VC2 Plus uses USB (just like the VC2/4). How about adding one of those XTAR 6 port USB chargers? They only use one outlet. And you can plug in 6 MASTER VC2 Plus chargers if you wanted too.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I didn't know about that charger that is what i am looking for, except in a 4 port version which they don't seem to make. :(
Buy 2? They’re relatively cheap. $12.60 + shipping @ illumn.com, about $19 @ Amazon.com with free shipping if you order 2.

You’d need a sufficient USB power supply though as these don’t come with one. Maybe 2.1 amps per charger minimum, a bit more if you’re going to use the USB out port regularly.

Last edited:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
BTW, one of the good things about the Xtar VC series is that the charge completely cuts off once the battery reaches full charge; it does not trickle charge to maintain maximum voltage. It will start up again and top the battery off when the charge falls below 3.9v. Screen stays on though.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I just got this in the past week or so and it is a great analyzing charger.
It tests, has IR, mAh in, etc.
Since you're not going to get a remaining time to charge, this would provide you all the info you want. Charge 4 slots at 1A, shows info on all slots at one time. Meaning I can have volts showing on one slot, mAh on another, IR on and other, and charging current on another.

Zanflare C4

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
The Efest LUC Blu6 is a relatively fast (4 × 1A) 6-bay charger that's also pretty decent and that comes with a downloadable app for iOS or Android that, via Bluetooth, can show the charging status of each battery as a percentage. But not the actual time remaining. But it can pop up a notification when the charging has finished. The Nitecore SC4 can show the charging time and the voltage of each battery. But not the actual time remaining. But it is faster (4 × 1.5A) than the Efest LUC Blu6. I do not recommend to get a Miboxer 4-bay charger. They suffer from the same problem that the Nitecore D4 (which is probably the slowest charger in the world, but anyway...) also clearly suffers from, i.e. the spring is too firm, the slider drags against the case, it is next to impossible to remove the battery without pressing your fingernail so hard against the top of the battery that, eventually, you are going to molest the top insulating ring of the battery so badly you'll wish you bought a different charger.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Very interesting dripster. I almost ordered a Miboxer C8 yesterday. But frankly, I personally don't trust anything with an Efest name. They trashed their name by having so many exploding cells in the news. And I don't understand why Mooch even tests them. As you don't know how many different manufactures Efest got those cells at. He could have tested a rewrap from Sony. And the one you buy could be a rewrap from Panasonic.

And Nitecore is a flashlight company and frankly, they have sold too many lemon models that I wouldn't trust them much either. At least not in the charger department. :(

I do have 3 XTAR products though. And 2 VC4 which have been rocking for over two years now. And just recently I picked up a XTAR 6 port USB charger (2.4A per port). Works great with the VC4 chargers too. Wished it had a power switch though. Maybe I could add one later. :)

Reactions: Jumpin' In...

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I can't find anything wrong with efest chargers. Mine works just as it should. I also have an xtar charger, and it works fine too.

I only charge my batteries at .5a on the xtar and .68a on the efest (lowest settings they have) and never use the higher charge rates (I'm a patient guy and have plenty of batteries so I have no need to rush it, plus it's easier on the batteries), so I can't say if either gets warm or hot on those settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread