Is There such a thing as Proper Vaping Etiquette ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Like most of my threads, this one will die a quick and quiet death ;)

With many Federal, State, Local and Municipal Governments questioning vaping, either for Public Health (Taxes) or as an Retail Industry (Taxes), should we exercise some form of Etiquette when in the General Public ?
I do not Vape in Hospitals or Doctor's Offices, most of the people there are either ill or injured to begin with.
I do not stroll through crowded restaurants blowing clouds of vapor. I will, however, quietly enjoy a vape or two at my table after the meal.
I will take a vape in the isles of a Grocery, a Wal Mart or an Auto parts store, but never at the counter area.
I do not go to "Smoking Areas". vaping isn't smoking.

Am I being a little too protective of my vaping habits ? I don't think so. Vaping is not a "Look at ME !" exercise, it is liberation from 40 years of tobacco usage.
If there are any concerns of where I'm coming from on this, read the 'signature' below.

So, should we exercise a good 'Vaping Etiquette' when out and about ?

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
By using discretion such as you do shows respect by not infringing on others space.
I use my better judgement too and even though I may have a "right" to do it anywhere I want it does not mean I will in any given situation.
The more "objectors" we create the harder it will be to further the cause.
But hey... if no one is looking....it's open season.

We'll catch more flies with honey than we will with & ...... #, honey is just stickier. Cheers.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I don't vape in restaurants or stores. If smoking is allowed such as walkng down a side walk, I'll vape. If smoking isn't allowed then I don't vape out of respect. For example where I live it's illegal to smoke in a restaurant so I won't vape in there either. I don't need that attention drawn to me with the way people are trying to regulate or ban in some places.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
I don't vape where I couldn't smoke, my builds don't permit me to be discreet. It's not that big of a deal though anywhere I really want to vape it's permitted my house, my car, open air venues, parking lots, or bars. I figure if I can't get through a shopping trip without a vape I need to reassess how addicted to vaping I am. I know a lot of people don't agree with that cause "its just vapor" but that's the way I handle it.

smokinGAVIN

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Manila, Philippines
Once I vaped in my doctors office only because he was a smoker and he wanted to know how it works. We did have a problem eliminating the vapor in the room. I had to hang around with him in his office until the vapor was gone. The next day I got a text from him that he made the switch to vaping and quit smoking. That was 3 months ago and he hasn't had a cigarette since.

AngelicTomPetty

Jun 8, 2014
Canada
We need to seriously stop reaching for our devices every second of the day. Do we seriously need to stealth vape while shopping for milk? No? Do we really need to sneak a vape while buying a new pair of jeans? Nope.

If somebody sees us, its the natural human mindset to think "That guy is blowing some sort of smoke indoors", and to the average human it is kind of alarming and worrying. Just stop. Wait until you are outside. Finished shopping? Cool, have a vape on the ride home.

Quitting smoking is a great gift that we all share. An addiction that has been broken and is life saving. Now the addiction to constantly feeling the need to suck on our devices all the time, even while doing the most menial of tasks i.e pushing a shopping cart : needs to be addressed.

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
I didn't vape in the house for a long time because I thought my Mom was against it. When she realized that I'm not smoking and that there is no awful smell, she allowed me to vape in the house. With the exception of after knee surgery, I never smoked in the house (even though my father smokes cigars in the house). I won't use my Subtank Mini or my Magma in the house as there is just too much vapor - that's just a courtesy thing for me. I'll use the Magma and Subtank out side. I'll use the Subtank in my car along with any of my other tanks. When it comes to public, unless the place allows smoking, I won't vape there. I'll go outside. At Penn State (one of the satellite campuses) we were 'regulated' with the smokers to the student parking lots only, although there were areas outside of the 'designated smoking areas' that people smoked or vaped. I was always a courteous smoker, and I try to be that way while vaping: Only where I'm allowed by rules, in my vehicle, never in someone else's house unless they explicitly say I can vape there, I go away from doors, and will 'hold it in' if someone is walking by me until they are past. I guess for me it's just common sense. I'd rather not be labeled...although I'm sure many people have many different labels for me. lol. I enjoy vaping way more than smoking and don't really want to ruin it for anyone else.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Common sense and a general sense of propriety and decency which is severely lacking in our human race.

There is no such thing if it were common since everyone would use it. What we really mean is are you stupid! Use your head for something besides a hat wrack and think about what your doing! :blink:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I do not stroll through crowded restaurants blowing clouds of vapor. I will, however, quietly enjoy a vape or two at my table after the meal.
I will take a vape in the isles of a Grocery, a Wal Mart or an Auto parts store, but never at the counter area.

Am I being a little too protective of my vaping habits ?

No, you aren't being protective enough. Most stores and restaurants are non-smoking areas which should also be interpreted as non-vaping areas unless specifically stated in the restaurant.

Fishtec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
England
a lot of people lately seem to be going with the it's legal so I will Vape it stance on vaping I had a heated discussion with a customer about there "right" to Vape anywhere they want with the person stating that I need to learn what I'm talking about before telling him he can't Vape something that's legal to use indoors (which amused me greatly) my stance on eticate is if you can't smoke there don't Vape there not all attention is good attention

Fishtec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
England
No, you aren't being protective enough. Most stores and restaurants are non-smoking areas which should also be interpreted as non-vaping areas unless specifically stated in the restaurant.

You will find that a lot of companies and restaurants have updated there stance on no smoking to include vaping now too

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC

So, then, We've already been regulated to 'Smoker' Status, and we should just shut up and pay taxes now ?
I am old enough to remember walking into stores, restaurants and bars with a lit cigarette. It wasn't until a concerted political effort, followed by submissions by major tobacco companies, that smoking became such an evil thing. I know now from my own experience that smoking tobacco does take it's toll. But Vaping IS NOT
tobacco. My company does not allow smoking on the premises, but does allow me to vape anywhere on the grounds.
Just last week I saw a sign that read; "No Smoking of any kind allowed, including but not limited to electronic smoking devices and e-cigarettes.
At a Burger King ! What's more hazardous - The Food at Burger King or Vaping ?

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
I don't vape indoors. As a younger adult I do not enjoy the looks I get and i'm not one to ever enjoy being in the front line of a crowd. I do not vape in someone's home unless they give me permission. I do not vape in someone's car without they give me permission. I vape outside mostly, and with my smoker friends. If i'm at work i'll occasionally sneak into the freezer and take a few pulls (mainly because Wendy's policy does not give smoking breaks, and 9 hours go by dreadfully slow). I use common sense, and go with the judgement of just because I can do something, doesn't mean I should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread