Is there such thing as secondhand vapor? This must have been asked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada
Im curious as if there is any sort of " second hand vapor " whether it be nicotine or chance of getting some sort of affect as if you were smoking the devils lettuce and some one got a second hand whiff..

Just as a disclaimer this is not in anyway associated with anything other than vaping just to get this out of the way.

Just trying to learn as much as I can about what comes out since I know what goes in, I also would like to know what comes out.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Short answer: no.

Slightly longer answer: Only to the extent that there are such things as second-hand perfume or second-hand cooking.

Longer longer answer: Toxicology analyses indicate that vapor is well within OSHA air-quality standards even for the primary user, so any risk to bystanders is negligible to the point of effective nonexistence. That, of course, doesn't mean that there won't be someone, somewhere, who has a legitimate allergy or sensitivity to huge plumes of vapor blown in poorly ventilated spaces -- and it certainly doesn't mean that we won't be inundated with negative so-called news' reports about that person when and if he materializes -- but for all practical purposes, there's no such thing as second-hand vapor.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Last edited:

bruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
Louisville, KY
Here's a copy and paste of the first link. It worked for me, but you need a pdf reader.

Results:
There was no evidence of potential for exposures of e-cigarette users to contaminants that are associated with
risk to health at a level that would warrant attention if it were an involuntary workplace exposures. The vast majority of
predicted exposures are < <1% of TLV. Predicted exposures to acrolein and formaldehyde are typically <5% TLV.
Considering exposure to the aerosol as a mixture of contaminants did not indicate that exceeding half of TLV for
mixtures was plausible. Only exposures to the declared major ingredients
–
propylene glycol and glycerin
–
warrant
attention because of precautionary nature of TLVs for exposures to hydrocarbons with no established toxicity.
Conclusions:
Current state of knowledge about chemistry of liquids and aerosols associated with electronic cigarettes
indicates that there is no evidence that vaping produces inhalable exposures to
contaminants
of the aerosol that
would warrant health concerns by the standards that are used to ensure safety of workplaces. However, the aerosol
generated during vaping as a whole (contaminants
plus declared ingredients
) creates personal exposures that would
justify surveillance of health among exposed persons in conjunction with investigation of means to keep any adverse
health effects as low as reasonably achievable. Exposures of bystanders are likely to be orders of magnitude less, and
thus pose no apparent concern

aelwero

Nov 9, 2013
texas
Personally, I think if folks can smell your second hand vapor, they are going to assume there's some "second hand" something or another, regardless of the facts...

with all the posts about legislation and regulating e-cigs, it's probably wise to minimize that perception as much as possible... vape in the smoking areas, hold your vapes in longer to minimize the amount of vapor you exhale, and in general, try to vape responsibly and be considerate of the public's perceptions as best you can...

That's my two cents, take it for what it's worth and vape on ;)

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
Personally, I think if folks can smell your second hand vapor, they are going to assume there's some "second hand" something or another, regardless of the facts...

with all the posts about legislation and regulating e-cigs, it's probably wise to minimize that perception as much as possible... vape in the smoking areas, hold your vapes in longer to minimize the amount of vapor you exhale, and in general, try to vape responsibly and be considerate of the public's perceptions as best you can...

That's my two cents, take it for what it's worth and vape on ;)

Second hand vapor is no different than second hand cologne and not even that strong. Cinnamon is the only thing that sets my asthmatic husband off and that is only if he is already having a bad air day. But even the cinnamon doesn't affect him like cats or pollen. It's only a minor annoyance.

I disagree about hanging out with the smokers & trying to hide your vaping. That only enforces the impression that we are doing something wrong. Don't go blowing big clouds at Walmart but do use common courtesy--more than teenage kids at a perfume counter but don't be ashamed. We will be stuck with the smokers forever if we let them treat us like smokers.

The politicians are now circulating petitions to tax our e-liquid at ridiculous rates, demand tobacco shop licenses for vapor shops, and even post a surety bond for what, I'm not clear on. The last lunatic petition I saw wanted 1 cent for each .01 ounces of liquid. That equals 0.2957353 milliliters which would mean a 10 milliliter bottle of eliquid would cost an additional $2.96. Why? Because they are money grubbing politicians and it looks like smoking so it must be bad.

I also refuse to pay the tobacco surcharge on health insurance. No way in he-double hockey sticks am I a higher cost patient than 50% of the population. I wasn't when I smoked and I'm having even fewer issues now so why should I pay more to go to the doctor less? If we let them treat us & tax us as smokers--they will keep going after anything & I mean anything they see as bad. Some places are already going after soda & candy. Do you really think they are going to stop?

Sorry, went off topic a little but if there's nothing in the first hand vapor that comes anywhere close to OSHA air quality safety concerns, why are we hiding? We thought it was safer than cigarettes. Let them see us so we can prove it to them.

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA

This. The general public has been steadily indoctrinated to believe that anything that looks like smoke is inherently harmful. Yet these same people can breathe in car fumes, chemical vapors, morning fog, and other such things without a second thought. The truth is stranger than fiction. :facepalm:

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
I can't get the first link to load but read the second one and it doesn't really say anything about 2nd hand vaping. It talks a great deal about nicotine absorption rate between cigarettes, 1st generation e-cigarettes (cig-a-likes), and 2nd gen. devices (Evic) in the user.

Sorry, wrong study LOL. We have too many of these things floating around. This is the one you want - factor of 10 less exposure:
Secondhand Exposure to Vapors From Electronic Cigarettes

Also it's worth noting that the vast majority of "indoor clean air acts" now regulate outdoor smoking (and are being extended to cover vaping). Typical "permimeters" (distances from doorways, etc.) are in the 15-25 foot range. Most of these ord.s and statues also cover public parks, bus shelters, etc. And that's not to mention the "smoke-free" campuses (both privately-owned industrial campuses and educational institutions), and of course parking lots/structures, etc.

AdamThomas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
I watched a video from RiPTrippers earlier he said he went to a cafe or something and him and his friend were vaping and someone in there got a reaction to they're PG, also he said he was around a table with his friends vaping. It got cloudy and he got nic sick because he is used to 6mg and they we're on higher stuff, ehh

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
also he said he was around a table with his friends vaping. It got cloudy and he got nic sick because he is used to 6mg and they we're on higher stuff, ehh
That's impossible. I learned long ago to take these stories of RiP Trippers with a huge grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread