is there supposed to be a pin that goes up into the atomizer to carry juice? REO NOOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Sense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
New Orleans, La
soundcloud.com
hi all,

I'm a REO noob. I just got a mini (v1) from a friend who hadn't used it in a year or more. Cleaned it up, charged the batteries, it fires, but the juice is not feeding into the atomizer. when an atomizer is screwed on, it's like the airflow is cut off. if i take the atomizer off, juice will feed into the 510 connection/drip well or whatnot, but I can't get it to feed liquid into the atomizer.

on other bottom feeders, i have seen what looks like a needle tip that reaches up into the atomizer from the mod. My REO doesn't have this. Is it supposed to? what am i doing wrong? Should I send it in for a refurb?

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
No needle necessary. You have to squeeze the bottle a bit to feed the juice up. If it's not feeding when you squeeze (squonk in REO-speak) then check that the tube in the bottle isn't hitting the bottom. If it is, you can trim the tube just a bit so it doesn't cut off the juice flow when you squonk.

Edited to add: Here's a list of helpful threads for newbies.

Last edited:

Josh Sense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
New Orleans, La
soundcloud.com
If your atty isn't an open connection, (hole in the end of it), there'll be no way for the juice to feed into it.

Jack

it's a standard boge 510, with a hole in the bottom (510 connection end) but there is no airflow when i screw it in and try squonking. I also tried blowing through the tube with the atty screwed in, nothing.

do i need to drill it out or something?

Last edited:

Gioajack

Resting In Peace
Jul 20, 2012
Conifer, Colorado
If the catch cup is filling with juice when you squonk without the atty on then the Mini is working fine. Blow through the drip tip end of the atty/carto to be sure air is coming out of the connector end. You can also drip a couple drops of juice down the tube running through the center of the atty and do the blow test again to make sure the atty/carto isn't clogged.

Obviously you can try another atty/carto to see if that one will work.

Jack

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Welcome, Josh :)
Couple of things you could try to help trouble shoot...
Have you tried another atty or carto besides the one that isn't feeding? It's pretty rare, but sometimes the insulator gasket inside the atomzier can swell or slide down blocking the air holes. And it sounded like you noted that you couldn't draw air through it. You can either ream out the hole with a small drill bit ...or toss it.
Be sure you're not over tightening these atomizers....in this case, try backing it off about an 1/8 turn.
If you're having to press really hard and not much juice is coming up...you can try running the end of a paperclip through the connector in case there is some blockage in there from dried juice.

And given that this is from the first run, it might not be a bad idea to send it in for a tune up. :) Contact Rob via PM (redeyedancer) for more information.

Last edited:

Josh Sense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
New Orleans, La
soundcloud.com
thanks guys, anxious to get squonking.

I used 2 brand new boge 510 SR atties and subsequently burned them up. :(

oh, I was in the bathroom trying to get this to work, while my girlfriend was in the living room. I kept yelling "IM GONNA SQUONK, IM GONNA SQUONK" but it was a false alarm. no squonk yet.

Gioajack

Resting In Peace
Jul 20, 2012
Conifer, Colorado
Josh:

I'm assuming for the moment that when you say 'atty' you're referring to a Boge carto. When you attach it to the Mini and squonk are you waiting a few moments and letting the juice soak into the filler?

Squonk, wait a few moments then repeat it a couple of times until at least the lower portion of the filler is moist with juice. You can also pre-fill the carto with ten or so drops from the drip tip end then give a short squonk and try vaping. If that doesn't work I'm pretty much stumped... which isn't unusual for me.

Jack

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
:laugh:
Aha...well even though you should be able to feed these atties, I just wanted to note that SR atties on a device running a 14500 battery probably leaves much to be desired. May I suggest if you have any LR atties...try them. You'll probably get better flavor and TH out of them.

Okay ...back to the no feeding issue. So am I understanding that you have two issues happening...juice is not reaching the wick in the atomzier and the other issue is when you draw on the drip tip, you're not able to draw air at all?

Josh Sense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
New Orleans, La
soundcloud.com
juice is not reaching the wick in the atomizer. Not a cartomizer with poly fill, a atomizer.

When i draw on the drip tip, i get air flow. when the atomizer is screwed on, even all the way, im getting airflow via the drip tip.

it's just that when it's screwed all the way on, juice will not flow from the bottle. when i back it out 1/8-1/2 a turn, then juice just ends up in the well around the 510 connector.

at this point i'm thinking that these atomizers are not bottom-feeder friendly. I took the atomizer off the REO mini, and blew through it from the drip tip end. turns out the air is not flowing through the 510 end of the atomizer, its coming from the side vent holes that are just above where the threads end on the thread end of the atomizer.

Josh Sense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
New Orleans, La
soundcloud.com
jack, there's a hole in the middle of the bottom, ive used 2 of these brand new, no juice going into atomizer.

Luckily I also have a young june lavatube (vector), a volcano lavatube v1, and a sigeli zmax v2 all with carto tanks, and 4 ego twists as back up.

Just figured I'd do what I can to get this REO back squonking again. Nobody around here has really seen/used one except for a couple of people.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Hmm, lets try and solve it by ticking off the boxes:
- The boges are brand new, you say? Please put some liquid in one, wait a while and try it on any other mod or 510 threaded battery. Does it work as expected?
- Remove the bottle, clean the tube and the catch cup and blow through the tube from both sides. Does air get through?
- put the Boge on the connector, but don't screw it down all the way, can you get air through now? If yes, screw the atomizer down until you can fire it. It could be overtightened.
- Look into the catchcup of the Mini - is there an extra O-Ring just laying inside?
- Gently push up the brass tube that is on the other side of the 510 connector and has the tubing attached to it.
- Check if there is a small black o-ring inside the cap of the juice bottle.

If you still cant figure it out, please post pictures (one from the inside of the 510 connector and one showing the open mod and the tubing and bottle

Edit: Oh, I just saw your comment of the Boge's not letting air through the center of the connector. Well, there's your problem then. If there is a hole in the center pin but no air coming through, could you just use a needle to clear out the air path in the Boge?

Last edited:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Welcome Josh I would try another brand of atomizer from what I have read it seems the mod is working fine . Of course your welcome to send the mod to me I can look it over to make sure its working properly

Please put
a note with your email address and a brief description of the problem .Also
empty any e juice in the mod .

Reos Mods LLC
120 Ida Jim Rd
Alfred Me 04002

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Another simple test for you, Josh. Take the atty off the Reo, look into the catch cup and give the bottle a little squeeze. You should see juice coming out of the center hole of the Reo's 510 connection. That is what is supposed to push juice into your atomizer/carto.

Now, on the atty, there's a bottom hole, and likely two smaller holes in the side of the connection. Bottom one is for feeding juice, side ones are for air flow.

You can also try to put on a carto temporarily. When you squeeze the bottle without taking pulls on the drip tip, you would see a bit of juice coming out of the airholes into the catch cup, and some coming all the way up the carto's center tube and spill over into the filler. If that's how it works on a carto, your Reo is fine and there's something wonky with those atomizers.

Josh Sense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
New Orleans, La
soundcloud.com
At this point, I have it nailed down to the atomizers being wonky.

Here's another question, I have a Zeus RBA (A7 clone.) but it won't screw all the way into the REO Mini's 510 connection. I understand I need a 510-510 extension. I also understand that some are sealed and some are not. Can one of you guys link me to the correct 510-510 extension that allows proper airflow for RBA's and will still allow the juice to feed up onto the coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread