Is this a common way for a nova head to die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
I have the mini nova and purchased an extra head. I've been alternating between the two heads for the past couple weeks and they've worked great!

Until now :(

I've had clearos die but it happens all at once. It's just dead. This time, however, it only stopped working on one battery. I did the usual: tightened everything, lifted the pin on the battery, cleaned connections, etc. It still wouldn't work, but it was only on that one battery. That batt ran everything else I had just fine. I was thinking it was the two just not getting along and started using my nova on another battery. About 10 minutes later, it also stopped working. I went through my other 510 threaded ego batt and the same thing happened... 10-20 minutes of vaping and it stops working.

Is that normal? This is the first rebuildable I've ever used so I'm new to the whole thing. I'm used to them just flat out dying, not this slow, painful death.

batteries are 650 ego non-vv batteries, just standard. Charges varied from almost dead to freshly charged. Pins were lifted high enough on all of them and lifting them higher didn't help.

:( It had a good life and I'm thrilled with the performance, but I'd love to know if this is something I can fix before I chuck it!

For what it's worth, it was clean and had only went through one half of a tank of use since its last cleaning.

REET_AZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
I thought one of my heads went bad one time, however it had just "unscrewed" and become loose from unscrewing the top head for filling. I somehow nudged it and noticed it still worked. Tightened it back down, and it has been working since then. So far - I have never had one die. I rinse and dry burn - they just keep on kicking.

Try to re-tighten it, just for grins. Might not be the problem, but can't hurt!

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
The pin/post on the battery side is only half of that connection... also check the post in the center of the 510 on the Vivi itself.. it need to stick down as much as the pin/post on the battery needs to stick up. Just a little bit should be enough though.

I'll also second the suggestion to make sure the head itself is in tight...

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
In my post, I said that I had tightened everything so it's not that. As for the connection on the nova, it was connecting fine. In fact, I didn't change the unit itself to get it working, just took the head that was messing up out and put the other in. So, it couldn't be that.

It's still not working so I'm just letting it RIP.

Hey BonnyC, what I've found out with the ViVi heads is that the rubber/silicone sleeve that is used to insulate the positive and negative is just not enough. I beleieve that what is happening is that that head is shorting and when it continues to short on each subsiquent battery, your batteries are saving you from blowing by refusing to fire the head any longer. Some of the atty heads have the + and - wires next to each other only seperated by the very thin sleeve. When the atty heats up enough it weakens a little and gets thinner which makes it easier for the two leads to short. IMO, you need to either throw it out or (if you're brave enough, but its really easy to both fix the problem and rewrap the entier wick) place the - wire on teh complete opposite side of the + to ensure it doesn't continue to short. YMMV but I hope this helps out a little!

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
I saw a post somewhere that someone actually sells those insulator rings by themselves. I am not sure if it was this thread or not but it's here somewhere. Actually sounds like an item GV should look into carrying since I believe they are pretty standard between different heads. Got to be pretty cheap I would think.

Last edited:

CoyoteRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Prospect Park, Pa.
I have the mini nova and purchased an extra head. I've been alternating between the two heads for the past couple weeks and they've worked great!

Until now :(

I've had clearos die but it happens all at once. It's just dead. This time, however, it only stopped working on one battery. I did the usual: tightened everything, lifted the pin on the battery, cleaned connections, etc. It still wouldn't work, but it was only on that one battery. That batt ran everything else I had just fine. I was thinking it was the two just not getting along and started using my nova on another battery. About 10 minutes later, it also stopped working. I went through my other 510 threaded ego batt and the same thing happened... 10-20 minutes of vaping and it stops working.

Is that normal? This is the first rebuildable I've ever used so I'm new to the whole thing. I'm used to them just flat out dying, not this slow, painful death.

Batteries are 650 ego non-vv batteries, just standard. Charges varied from almost dead to freshly charged. Pins were lifted high enough on all of them and lifting them higher didn't help.

:( It had a good life and I'm thrilled with the performance, but I'd love to know if this is something I can fix before I chuck it!

For what it's worth, it was clean and had only went through one half of a tank of use since its last cleaning.

Every once in awhile the changeable head gets loose and it wont fire. Happened to me more than once.

So if my VIVI does not fire that is the first thing I check.

Since the silicon on the head touches the top of the carto unscrewing to refill will sometimes loosen the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread