Is this a safe battery for my SMOK AL85

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlefik2017

Sep 3, 2017
Hey everyone! I'm obviously new by posts, but I've lurked a little on and off for the last few months. I do have a question regarding a battery I would like to get for my smok al85. I have a samsung 25R for a few months and any more it just don't hold a charge for crap. I did find this one on Amazon and seemed to be a good quality but I wasn't sure if it would be safe for the al85 with such a high amp and mAH. Honestly I'm all about keeping my face intact.

https://www.amazon.com/pieces-Ebat-...071YTS5DQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I did look through a list that was posted here in the forums with some batteries that were recommended but didn't see this brand. I love my AL85 and have had nothing but a good experience with it since may of this year, but this short life battery issue is making me nuts. Seems like I get the charge up to 100% and within a few puffs almost half the battery life is gone and I get that annoying low battery warning. Most of the time I vape at 70W with this one.

EDIT - Crap, I didn't realize I couldn't post links. The battery I'm looking at is called "
Ebat IMR 18650 3.7V 3500mAH Rechargeable Battery 30A High Drain Battery" so if someone wouldn't mind searching this one up and give some opinion on it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Battery creation requires a truly gigantic factory and there are only a few of them in the world.
Anything that isn't Samsung Sony or lg is a rewrap of one those batteries. Re wraps are considered lower quality than branded batteries generally, (they're often bought out of the big name reject bins) but it doesn't necessarily mean they won't work.

Reactions: stols001

fifamymaingame

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2017
Colorado
You shouldnt be going 70 watts on a single battery tbh something like a vtc5a would be best suited for high watts but not im single battery mode

Might be time to get a dual battery mod

Vaping cheap and vape.deals have tons of deals all the time the segeli kaos was on sale for 39.99 recently

Single battery mods are never going to last a full day and charging through a mod isn't best either

Single batterys for the most part are good up to maybe 75 watts on one battery but your pushing it supppper hard

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hey everyone! I'm obviously new by posts, but I've lurked a little on and off for the last few months. I do have a question regarding a battery I would like to get for my SMOK AL85. I have a samsung 25R for a few months and any more it just don't hold a charge for crap. I did find this one on Amazon and seemed to be a good quality but I wasn't sure if it would be safe for the AL85 with such a high amp and mAH. Honestly I'm all about keeping my face intact.

https://www.amazon.com/pieces-Ebat-...071YTS5DQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I did look through a list that was posted here in the forums with some batteries that were recommended but didn't see this brand. I love my AL85 and have had nothing but a good experience with it since may of this year, but this short life battery issue is making me nuts. Seems like I get the charge up to 100% and within a few puffs almost half the battery life is gone and I get that annoying low battery warning. Most of the time I vape at 70W with this one.

EDIT - Crap, I didn't realize I couldn't post links. The battery I'm looking at is called "
Ebat IMR 18650 3.7V 3500mAH Rechargeable Battery 30A High Drain Battery" so if someone wouldn't mind searching this one up and give some opinion on it.

Mistake #1 - Looking at Ebay or Amazon for a good deal on a battery for vaping, okay for mods, wicking material, and rebuilding coil wire, but batteries, big, big no go. To many chances of an unscrupulous vendor selling you a clone, fake, or in this instance an off brand re-wrap of a B or C bin quality battery that didn't pass A Bin muster with one of the Big 4 battery manufacturers (those big 4 are LG, Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic/Sanyo). Never, ever skimp or quality for vaping batteries, go with trusted, verified and often authorized battery resellers/wholesalers

US/Can/Mexico
illumn.com
Liionwholesale.com
imrbatteries.com
orbtronic.com
RTDVapor.com

EU/UK
fogstar.co.uk
batteriesplus.co.uk
eu.nkon.nl (Netherlands)

Mistake #2 - Thinking that a reseller would be honest on Ebay, I can say with certainty that battery listed is not what it says it is, given with an 18650 battery the manufacturers have to engineer them to promote runtime aka battery density (aka Mah) or battery current output (amps), they can balance the two, but you can not have a 3500mah 18650 that can do 30amps output, not enough room to pack that much electrolyte into such a small package, the only 3 true 30amp 18650 batteries out there are the LG HB2, HB4, and HB6, but they are all 1500mah, where you see at the other end of the scale the LG HG2 3000mah is manufacturer rated at 20amps, see that balance there?

As stated above, 70watts on a single battery mod is really pushing limits, that Samsung 25R is a 20amp battery and been through a warzone with that punishment, thus it is declining in its abilities, you've literally cooked that battery to death from the inside. You need to be looking at a new mod purchase with at least 2 batteries if you are going to be vaping at 70 watts. Until then, you are limited to these battery models to handle that much power with any decency.

Sony VTC5A 2500mah 25amp (take note of the "A" in the model number, the other VTC5 is the older one and only 20amps at 2600mah) (max 75watts per battery)
LG HD2, HD2C, and HD4 2000 to 2200mah 25amp (max 75watts per battery)
Sony VTC3 1600mah 28amp (max 85watts per battery)
LG HB2, HB4, and HB6 1500mah at 30amps (max 90 watts per battery)

20amp batteries safest max watts for them are 60watts per battery.

Not meaning to sound mean, but still, you need to be careful and research your devices and batteries before purchase thoroughly next time.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ebat?? Err, no. Here's a chart of recommended batteries by Mooch with reputable dealers at the bottom such as IMR and Illum.
Battery Chart.jpeg

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
IMFire3605 Nailed it ONLY buy your batteries from a authorized battery resellers/wholesalers. Not a vape shop, amazon, ebay, no where but a professional battery dealer. Hey, and get this, they usually have the best deals. I can only speak for my supplier (Liion Wholesale) they verify the batteries they sell are authentic, then they test ensure the lot they are selling will perform as manufacture says. They love to get questions and answer quickly, you ask the guy behind the vape store counter about a battery, all he knows it fits.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
At the power devices low voltage cutoff battery amp demand will be highest.

The al85 has a high low voltage cutoff, 3.4v - 3.5v.
70w / 3.4v + 10% device inefficiency = 22.55a
Sony vtc 5A & LGHD series will work well but will have a short overall and between recharge cycle lifespan due to being used near CDR.

There are a few devices that have 2.8v, or 3v low voltage cutoff, some are user adjustable.

As batteries are used & age they lose capacity, the harder they're used
the faster they degrade.
A cell used at 80%+ of its CDR will have a much shorter useful life than one used at 50% or less of the CDR.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. That's a re-wrap, so there's no telling what actual cell is under the wrap. One thing I will tell you: it is not 3500mAh and 30A CDR. If it really is 3500mAh-- and it probably is as this can be tested easily-- it will have a CDR in the 10-15A range. Amps vs mAh is the trade off. More of one, less of the other.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
We need to start making noise over mod manufacturers touting 85 Watt single and 200+ Watt dual 18650 devices.

While those things have the electronic capability of delivering the label wattage, the truth is that we don't yet have 18650 batteries cabable of delivering the wattage required. And Smok, Sigeli, Eleaf ad infinitum know this.

They are selling a bill of goods that they can't deliver.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I honestly hate that mods assume your using 30A batteries. Sure you can hit 85w with Amps=Volts/Ohms with the amplifier in the mod but if the .50c Chinese amplifier malfunctions it will still run those volts to a battery that may only handle 3.2v at that time and could almost double the amps so we use Amps=Watts/point mod cuts off(2.8-3.2v)/0.9... worst case scenario thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wishes they stuck with 50-60w per battery just for this reason among other malfunctions that could occur.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think you've gotten some good information above. The reputable suppliers tend to be quick, easy to deal with, and pleasant. I buy from IMRbatteries and they have excellent prices and even better customer service. I managed to mess up an order twice from them including sending one to the wrong address (my error) and contacted them to ask if I could get them reshipped if I paid additional shipping and handling. They were very nice and just said that they'd refund everything-- including shipping-- once they got the batts back, and then when I finally made my correct order they threw in 2-day shipping for free...

I wonder how much business these companies are getting from vapers, actually. Mine now come with a "don't use for vaping" warning, but my assumption is they are covering their butts, legally.... Can't say I blame them.

Anna

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yup, LG put out a cease and decist order on theirs so it's actually illegal to sell them for vaping but all companies are or will be putting warnings on them or they will be forced by the FDA to register every battery they made after Sept 8th last year as a tobacco product. That even includes batteries most of us never even heard of and no one uses because you'd need a custom telescopic mech mod to run them and Mooch hasn't tested them. Like 22700's etc (due out for x-mas after you all buy 21700's lol jk... I hope).

Last edited:
Reactions: suprtrkr

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Hi and welcome. That's a re-wrap, so there's no telling what actual cell is under the wrap. One thing I will tell you: it is not 3500mAh and 30A CDR. If it really is 3500mAh-- and it probably is as this can be tested easily-- it will have a CDR in the 10-15A range. Amps vs mAh is the trade off. More of one, less of the other.
I was actually considering getting some Samsung MJ1s or the LG ones 3500mAh 10A CDR 15A MVA, cycle life may suck at 25-30w but I only vape 15-20w usually so should be fine for about a year. If you got a dual battery mod and vape 30w or under you'd be loving it. I want the Samsung 48G 7-8A 21700s next mod... 9600mAh 2 batteries?! Are you kidding me?!

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I was actually considering getting some Samsung MJ1s or the LG ones 3500mAh 10A CDR 15A MVA, cycle life may suck at 25-30w but I only vape 15-20w usually so should be fine for about a year. If you got a dual battery mod and vape 30w or under you'd be loving it. I want the Samsung 48G 7-8A 21700s next mod... 9600mAh 2 batteries?! Are you kidding me?!
No doubt you're right. Mooch recommends the Panasonic MGR18650NA at 10A and 3300 mAh. That would work for me in a 4-battery mod, lol...

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread