DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Mosquito bites.

Yes, I'm serious.

For as long as I can remember I have not been the favored target of mosquitoes.
Whenever we venture into mosquito territories, my wife is the one who comes away bitten up.

But we just came back from a weekend camping trip, and she has zero mosquito bites.
And I have 9 of them, 6 of which are on my ankles (through my socks) even though she was wearing sandals.

And then I realized that lately, I have been the one getting more mosquito bites.

And then I started thinking maybe I've become a lot tastier since I stopped smoking.
Or since I started vaping.
Or both.

So, a serious question, has ANYBODY else noticed a similar phenomenon?

Because I've seen a lot of vaping health benefits talked about throughout this forum for years now.
And I've seen some of the potential pitfalls that some people might have to deal with.

But I have never seen anyone ever mention anything about becoming more tasty to mosquitoes.

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
Has anything else changed? Your favored foods/drinks? I drink less coffee. No idea what matters to a mosquito, but I certainly have been more motivated to attempt to eat better, and exercise more (more fun when you can do so without wheezing) in light of the harm reduction benefits of vaping. Perhaps it's a flavor you used that they like or that your CO2 (pretty sure they are attracted to CO2) output has higher quality now :p

Again, I have no idea really. I haven't noticed a marked increase but have spent little time in wooded areas or out at night.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
FWIW, I noticed no change when I started vaping. I've always been tasty to mosquitos, and vaping hasn't changed that. My wife and kids hardly ever get bit, while I get eaten alive! Heck, every 4th of July when we watch fireworks we sit right next to each other and when we get home there'll be 2-3 bites TOTAL between the 3 of them, while I'll have 6-8 myself! Mosquitos literally go around them to get to me. Not sure why that is, but it's been this way my whole life and vaping hasn't changed a thing! (Wish it did though!)

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
I always heard that mosquitos and gnats would be more attracted to you if you used shampoos or soaps with sweet floral or fruity fragrances, so if that's true, it's possible they'd be attracted to the smell of sweet/fruity e-juices, too.

I personally haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary- I'm anemic, so they tend to ignore me.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
My first thought is ... have you been eating bananas ?
They seem to love you if you eat bananas...
Coming to Florida every year, I always had to back off bananas for about 2 weeks before coming out here...and now that I live here - they are off the list completely !

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
My first thought is ... have you been eating bananas ?
They seem to love you if you eat bananas...
Coming to Florida every year, I always had to back off bananas for about 2 weeks before coming out here...and now that I live here - they are off the list completely !

I didn't know that about bananas. I seldom ever eat them. I know I need too for the potassium in them but seldom have them on hand.

It's not just bananas, but what they have in them. Mosquitos are attracted to potassium. Bananas just happen to have a huge ammount in them. But if you take any suplements that have potassium in it, you're going to be targeted as well.

kritikal

Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Perth, Australia
Now that you mention it, I do get biten more by mosquitoes since making the switch!

I was always a huge target for mosquitoes and looking back, when I started smoking I virtually stopped getting bitten. Now, having begun vaping, I'm once more a target.

Tobacco smoke can act as an insect repellant, however, I'm unsure if this is directly related to nicotine or not. I would imaginethat other factors would weigh in such as the smoke from a substance being burnt and other chemicals in cigarette smoke. So perhaps the cigarette smoke that once lingered upon us acted as a deterrent.

I'd much rather be riddled with mosquito bites than be smoking though! :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I have several bee hives in the inside of my back door. These bees and I coexist without any problems---as a matter of fact, I like the little things---I really dig their work ethic! ;)
Now, when it comes to mosquitoes....I have a deep seeded abhorrence and flat out hatred for those little flying bleepity bleeps. :-x But, for some reason, they love me like like they are trying to friggin' mate with me. Jeez-us! Smoking never repelled them and vaping is just like putting sprinkles on ice cream for 'em. After a long winter, as much as I welcome the weather, I always miss the mosquito-less season!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread