Is this battery pack safe to use for a box mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
I was going to use this battery in a bluetooth speaker project, but ended up buying a speaker on eBay instead. So I'd like to see if someone either wants to buy or trade for it in the classifieds. Was thinking it'd be a great use for it in a box mod or something, since it's a high capacity, but I just want to make sure it's safe before I list it.

It's 3.7V, 1450mah. From the looks of it, it doesn't appear to have a protection circuit, but those are built into the dna boards, aren't they?

battery_zpsb4e4fda6.jpeg

Keynith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Atlanta
I was going to use this battery in a bluetooth speaker project, but ended up buying a speaker on eBay instead. So I'd like to see if someone either wants to buy or trade for it in the classifieds. Was thinking it'd be a great use for it in a box mod or something, since it's a high capacity, but I just want to make sure it's safe before I list it.

It's 3.7V, 1450mah. From the looks of it, it doesn't appear to have a protection circuit, but those are built into the DNA boards, aren't they?

battery_zpsb4e4fda6.jpeg

Seems to be in order. The DNA boards have built in circuit protection, hence why people use unprotected batteries with them. How many AMPs is it? You'll need 20+ amps to shoot up in the 20+ watts range if you have a DNA 30.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That's a lithium polymer battery. AFAIK, all current Lipos are at least good for 10C of discharge which is 14A and more than enough for the DNA20. It would be good to make certain of the C rating though. If you don't know what it is, with the manufacturers name and a model number on it you can Google for the spec.

The failure mode for these batteries is they heat up and the cover will puff up if they are abused by over charging or discharged too fast. Get them too hot ans they will go into thermal runaway which releases really hot gas and can burn. They never have protection built in, that needs to be added by the regulator like the DNA20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread