Is this story legit? -- Loving couple banned from adopting... because husband had 'e-cigarette'

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I saw this in my news feed yesterday, and I'm wondering if anyone from the U.K. could verify this story or similar situations. It's in the Daily Mail and I've heard that the DM is not the most reliable source, so I'm a bit skeptical.

www. dailymail .co.uk/news/article-2963523/Loving-couple-banned-adopting-husband-e-cigarette.html

Social workers have barred a couple from adopting a child after the would-be father was seen smoking an e-cigarette.

The decision came after the pair had passed a long series of tests to qualify as parents, and had earlier paid for expensive fertility treatment, which failed.

They were told they could not adopt if either of them had used an e-cigarette in the past 12 months – despite experts saying that ‘vaping’ poses little or no threat to children in the home.

Danie06

Jul 24, 2014
I saw this in my news feed yesterday, and I'm wondering if anyone from the U.K. could verify this story or similar situations. It's in the Daily Mail and I've heard that the DM is not the most reliable source, so I'm a bit skeptical.

www. dailymail .co.uk/news/article-2963523/Loving-couple-banned-adopting-husband-e-cigarette.html

I honestly dont know at this point (it is after all the Daily Mail)
But Ive been looking around a bit and its interesting that foster care england has actually brought out a pretty decent document/ decision (in collobaration with ASH) in which they advice that e-cigarettes are no reason to deny parents an adoption:
https://www.fostering.net/policy-an...ements/on-smoking-and-the-use-of-e-cigarettes
"Whilst current research evidence suggests that the use of electronic cigarettes is effective in helping people to stop using traditional tobacco cigarettes, there is little to suggest that it is encouraging smoking. The Fostering Network considers the current research evidence provides no compelling reasons for restricting the use of e-cigarettes. Therefore foster carers should not be prevented from fostering or applying to foster because of their use of e-cigarettes."

However, I also read somewhere that 14 counties in England have a different policy.
Sounds like enough reason for a wonderful law suit if you ask me. Well if the story is true that is.:p

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
According to this article: http:// www. gloucestercitizen. co.uk/Couple-banned-adopting-child-husband-seen-using-e/story-26065062-detail/story.html

They were told they could not adopt if either of them had used an e-cigarette in the past 12 months – despite experts saying that ‘vaping’ poses little or no threat to children in the home.

The couple told The Mail on Sunday: “When there are so many children desperate for a family and a stable home, to put up such trivial barriers is ridiculous.”

According to its investigation at least 13 councils in England ban e-cigarette users from fostering or adopting young children.

Welcome to the dark ages.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
According to this article: http:// www. gloucestercitizen. co.uk/Couple-banned-adopting-child-husband-seen-using-e/story-26065062-detail/story.html

Welcome to the dark ages.

I'm not very familiar with U.K. media, so please tell me how whether or not this second source is considered reputable. Thanks!

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
The story appears to be legit. Multiple sources cited it and there's fiery discussion about it on social media.

This is an escalation of anti-vaping sentiment and a dangerous precedent for arbitrary restrictions on personal freedoms from unelected apparatchiks. Not to mention the atrocious act perpetrated against the children who will remain stuck in the system instead of having a loving home and considerate people who even endeavored to quit smoking such that they may be better parents.

I renew my call for every vaper to actively advocate and seek the complete destruction of the ANTZ terrorist network before we're all packed into trains and sent to the ovens for no reason other than having quit smoking.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The story appears to be legit. Multiple sources cited it and there's fiery discussion about it on social media.

This is an escalation of anti-vaping sentiment and a dangerous precedent for arbitrary restrictions on personal freedoms from unelected apparatchiks. Not to mention the atrocious act perpetrated against the children who will remain stuck in the system instead of having a loving home and considerate people who even endeavored to quit smoking such that they may be better parents.

I renew my call for every vaper to actively advocate and seek the complete destruction of the ANTZ terrorist network before we're all packed into trains and sent to the ovens for no reason other than having quit smoking.

It's going to be the same debate as same sex couples adopting children.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
A very excellent development, yes.

In light of that update announcement it will be interesting to see what comes out of the upcoming (March 4, 2015) British Association for Adoption and Fostering (BAAF) Conference.

Fit to Adopt or Foster? | British Association for Adoption and Fostering

Theme - This conference will explore a range of issues that perplex professionals and panel members who are responsible for recommending or making decisions on prospective applicants becoming either foster carers or adoptive parents.

"Fit to Adopt or Foster?"

Conference

Date: 04 Mar 2015

Venue:

Future Inn, Cardiff

One of the panelists and her topic:

Florence Merredew –

(1) E Cigarettes – helpful or harmful? (2) Frequently asked questions – common conditions in adult health

Contact details

Email: cardiff@baaf.org.uk
Telephone: 029 2076 1155

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread