Is US snus realy snus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
American Snus has much higher TSNAs because American tobacco companies ferment their tobacco and process them with heat. The Swedes do not ferment their tobacco and process and store them in cold temperatures so the TSNAs are much lower. Tobacco Specific Nitrosomines are the main carcinogenics in tobacco.

Reactions: Ariben

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
This study has an intersting statement:

"We recommend that PM cease using the term "snus" to refer to dry smokeless tobacco products with low nicotine delivery, so that the term be reserved for moist, low-toxin, medium/high nicotine delivery smokeless tobacco products that are qualitatively similar to the leading brands in Sweden."

Is low-nicotine Marlboro snus really snus?

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I don't really know a whole lot about forgien snus. Other than people tend to sniff it. Chew is filled with nasty spew that will mess up your insides. Plus there is what it can do to your teeth. Ugh it is so hard to quit. I really had no idea. Always thought it was safer or the lesser of two evils. It's not it made me just as sick as smoking. If you are having bad nic withdrawls maybe try some nicotine gum.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I don't really know a whole lot about forgien snus. Other than people tend to sniff it. Chew is filled with nasty spew that will mess up your insides. Plus there is what it can do to your teeth. Ugh it is so hard to quit. I really had no idea. Always thought it was safer or the lesser of two evils. It's not it made me just as sick as smoking. If you are having bad nic withdrawls maybe try some nicotine gum.

You may want to educate yourself a bit. This would be a good place to start

Tobaccoharmreduction.org

Smoke-free Tobacco

The fact is chew is significantly less harmful then smoking. I use Swedish style snus which is a non-spit smokeless and the Swedish snus doesn't have any sugar. That is something that can mess up the gums. Even with that if the choice is between smoking a chew it's a no brainer. Any smokeless from the US or northern Europe is dramatically less harmful then smoking.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I have also never been able to finish a tin of American snus. They are just too sweet and have overwhelming flavor. They make me gag a little.

Our speedway convenience stores here have general snus, and it's nice to be able to go down and pick up a can. I dont use snus very often (1-2 times a week, if that) so it doesnt make sense to order large smounts of it. For the longest time they were not getting general mint, and only had the newer 'Nordic mint' in trial sizes. I think that must be Swedish match's attempt to appeal to the American market as it was a lot sweeter than their regular mint flavor. Still not as sweet and overwhelming as camel or marlborough snus though. Thankfully, they finally got the regular cans of mint or frost (whatever it's called).

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    It's good to hear others are having positive results with Swedish snus. It's a whole different product from the American stuff. The first snus I tried was camel frost and it was like candy. I then tried discreet but it was still pretty sweet. Back then you could place an order online and the shipping was $5 or if you spent over $50 then it was free. Now the shipping charges make it so you have to place a large order to make it worthwhile. The Quiktrip stations here are carrying general snus now which is good for me since I like the mint.

RoseB

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 3, 2012
    Washington
    Spent some time in the hospital from chewing this year 8^) I found out the hard way what it can do. Thought it was going to kill me. Some people can chew or smoke their entire lives and never really have problems. For the majority of us this is not the case. Here is the one thing I will give chew credit for. You are not putting out second hand smoke. Thanks for the links

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    Spent some time in the hospital from chewing this year 8^) I found out the hard way what it can do. Thought it was going to kill me. Some people can chew or smoke their entire lives and never really have problems. For the majority of us this is not the case. Here is the one thing I will give chew credit for. You are not putting out second hand smoke. Thanks for the links

I believe I'll go with the science and what the studies are saying rather then some vague statements from you. You are implying that smokeless tobacco is just as harmful as smoking, and that is simply a lie.

Nearly everyone in this section uses snus not chew, not that it really matters, and there is overwhelming solid science backing up the fact that snus is far less harmful then smoking. It would be a very hard case to say vaping is less harmful then snus. You really need to do some studying before you continue to push junk science.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread