• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Is usp glycerine same as vegetable glycerine ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Chemical composition would be the same apart from impurities (almost none).

For all itents and purposes, how's it's made is really the only difference. VG is "food grade" and USP Glycerine is "pharmaceutical grade." No idea what the difference is... but both are suitable for consumption. Just avoid anything industrial, that much is for sure.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Not neccesarily... it's really tough to say. I can't seem to find any resource that discusses the differences.
Bottom line is that both are fit for consumption. If one has a slight edge over the other, I haven't heard about it.

From wikipedia: Raw materials used to make glycerol and glycerin include animal fats, such as beef tallow, and vegetable oils, such as coconut and soybean.

I imagine that Vegatable Glycerin just means that no animal fats are used in production.... maybe it's just for the vegan crowd? Haha I dunno.

AllYourBase

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Alberta
Seems like I have to post this every week...

The Glycerin USP from Shoppers is manufactured by Rougier. All of their glycerin is 100% vegetable based. It is VG. It's great stuff to use.

I've never heard of food-grade VG before.... I probably wouldn't want to vape it, though.

FYI if you ever look at a bottle of Glycerine, check the manufacturer. If it's Rougier, you know it's definitely VG. However, the souce doesn't matter either way unless you're a vegan.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
There is a sticky in the diy e-liquid subforum, down in the tips and tricks area of the forum, specifically talks about vg.

Net, usp glycerin is all I will use. Others may prefer something else, but it is good to read the sticky so you make an informed decision.

AllYourBase

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Alberta
There is a sticky in the diy e-liquid subforum, down in the tips and tricks area of the forum, specifically talks about vg.

Net, usp glycerin is all I will use. Others may prefer something else, but it is good to read the sticky so you make an informed decision.

I've never actually read that thread before, thanks for the tip. I'm glad to see that it comes to the same conclusions as I've reached independently: All Glycerine USP is fine to vape regardless of source, and you shouldn't vape non-USP glycerine.

Here's the link to the thread being mentioned:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/52669-pg-vg-labeling-purity-please-read.html

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
hi guys i wanted to ask is usp glycerine from shoppers drug mart same as any vg (vegetable glycerine)... its $2.50 for 250ml...
let me know what you guys think or have used it before...
btw the usp glycerine from shoppers was quite viscous or thick you can say... just a mental note...

Not all glycerin is vegetable glycerin. Some is animal glycerin.

Do be sure that you are using 100% Vegetable Glycerin USP.

Otherwise - it is the same (and atty's love it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread