Is Vaping A Social Justice Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanswr1

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2017

I don't see vaping as a social justice issue. I see it as more of a privacy issue. At my age, I can make my own decisions of how I conduct my private life and my private habits. I see no reason why I should change my life to accommodate a 16 year old who is illegally getting their hands on vape products.

In the case of "underage" vaping, we already have laws on the books that make selling vape products to those under 21 illegal. That makes "underage" vaping a law enforcement issue.

I think the ban of vape mail via the USPS took this too far. A simple "adult signature required" would have taken care of the problem. But as I have told my daughter many times, always count on a stupid ....... to do some thing stupid".

The stupid .......s in Congress did something stupid.

Last edited:

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    The stupid .......s in Congress did something stupid.
    Stupid from our perspective... or by any objective & informed perspective.
    But they knew exactly what they were doing & why.
    Social justice, public health, limited government, individual liberty, economic freedom, personal rights ... ... all as nothing when when executive bonuses & lobbying $$$ are involved.

thanswr1

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2017
    But they knew exactly what they were doing & why

I respectfully disagree. I think you give the politicians a lot more brains then they have. Same with diabolical thinking. I don't think anyone thought out the real world consequences of forcing the USPS to no longer deliver vape mail.

I think someone thought it was a great idea to "save the children".

They never gave a second thought to many who do not have a local vape shop or one that is many miles away.

They didn't give a thought to those who have mobility problems and cannot get to a vape shop.

They never gave a thought why a minor is able to get vape products when they passed a law raising the age to 21. And call law enforcement to find out why.

They never gave a thought to requiring an adult signature as many products do now.

They never gave a thought to requiring the online vape suppliers to have a verifiable age check the way many adult sites have.

Again I respectfully disagree because the history of many government ideas point, not to strategic thinking, but to no thinking at all.

Last edited:

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    I respectfully disagree. I think you give the politicians a lot more brains then they have. Same with diabolical thinking. I don't think anyone thought out the real world consequences of forcing the USPS to no longer deliver vape mail.

I think someone thought it was a great idea to "save the children".

They never gave a second thought to many who do not have a local vape shop or one that is many miles away.

They didn't give a thought to those who have mobility problems and cannot get to a vape shop.

They never gave a thought why a minor is able to get vape products when they passed a law raising the age to 21. And call law enforcement to find out why.

They never gave a thought to requiring an adult signature as many products do now.

They never gave a thought to requiring the online vape suppliers to have a verifiable age check the way many adult sites have.

Again I respectfully disagree because the history of many government ideas point, not to strategic thinking, but to no thinking at all.
    Oh, i'm sure you're right that they never gave a thought to any of those consequences.

What i meant by them knowing what they were doing & why is that they were doing what those who finance them want in order to keep the money coming. Sorry if i didn't make that clear.

It's how legislatures operate. Those behind the legislation -- in this case, most likely, the big pharma corps -- don't care about any ancillary harm done by the legislation they write and pay legislators to pass. Most legislators either don't think it through -- as you say -- or don't care.

Maybe i'm too jaded and some of them really think they're saving children or something and it's just that they're clueless. Yet, we're talking -- at the federal level -- about 535 people, most of whom are highly educated and often accomplished. That the majority of them are stupid, clueless, foolish, and/or incompetent is hard to believe. That certain corporate interests expect to profit from destroying the vaping industry extant and help legislators retain power & money in order to make that happen is easier to believe, distasteful as it is. Similar things have been done in other areas before. The pharma corps have gone after other businesses that threatened their bottom lines before. The tobacco industry's malfeasance is known. The war on vaping just doesn't make sense otherwise (to my little mind, at any rate).

iowajosh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    iowa
    Yeah, politicians take money from both big pharma and big tobacco. And want the cig tax money and MSA payment money for their state. It is not coincidence that they make the carrier responsible for collecting state taxes in the mail ban.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread