Is vaping cinnamon Red Hots and Hot Tamale safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob4092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
USA
I love the flavor of Hot Tamale and Red Hots Cinnamon! I like to get these with "triple shots" of flavor...yum, yum!

I am concerned these may not be too healthy for my lungs. They discolor my plastic tanks and even the plastic drip tips. How can they be safe for my lungs if they are this caustic?

Any advise and info would be appreciated!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have no idea where you are getting Cinnamon Red Hot from that you can even inhale it. I got some from Mt Baker Vapor with 0 extra shots and while I LOVE the flavor and think they absolutely nailed the flavor of the candy perfectly.... I find it completely impossible to inhale. I have to keep the vapor in my mouth then blow it out. Any attempt to inhale that stuff burns my throat and causes coughing fits. I don't even want to know what +3 shots would be like...maybe a bit like inhaling molten lava perhaps? So in my personal experience I am going to have to say no, you probably should not inhale that. Unless of course you happen to enjoy having the lining of your esophagus peeled off by searing flames. In fact, I am shocked it hasn't completely melted your plastic tanks. That is one of the so called "tank cracker" juices. I have never tried the Hot Tamale flavor so cannot say about that one.

On the other hand we did get something called Atomic Fireball from Redneck Vaper's. That does taste pretty good on the inhale (pretty close to the Atomic Fireball candies) but seems completely flavorless on the exhale, like all of the flavor got absorbed in your mouth. That one seems fine to inhale.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
It will have a different effect with tissue. If you're really concerned about it, put some liquid on your skin, and try to keep it on there for a long time. Your skin will actually react to it stronger than your lungs will. As long as you're drinking water and your lungs keep doing what they are doing, the liquid will be dealt with easily.

Plastics have a different molecular structure than tissues. There may be a slight synergy with plastic and certain types of acids/bases, but unless you're composed of polycarbonate or acrylic, don't worry about it.

Do you use polyethylene tanks? I haven't noticed any clouding from any liquids, but I tend to only use high citric acid containing juices. I like cinnamon on apple pie and many other things, not by itself, but if you saw how much I used in those applications, you'd be curious to know why I just don't eat the cinnamon with a spoon.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Most liquids that have cinnamon flavor in them (candy hot type cinnamon not the bakery kind) have Triacetin which reacts badly to certain plastics. Vape them only from glass or metal.

It isn't really about caustic in the sense you are thinking as in acid. It is a specific reaction with certain plastics.

Is it safe? I can't say with any certainty but I would guess based on how popular those flavor are that someone would have had a problem by now if they were REALLY awful for you.

Zak Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Orange, California, United States
My adv for the 14 months I've been vaping is a cinnamon/menthol flavor that cracks tanks and swells "o" rings. So far, I've had no adverse health issues. If you're liking for a hard core flavor, check out Midas brand Glacial Inferno. I'm not a fanboy, not related in any way, just my "must have" vape.

Sent via the guys that made Star Trek low tech.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Do Not Put Hot Cinnamon and some Citrus Flavors in polycarbonate clearomizers or tanks. :danger:

These flavors react to degrade the plastic and can cause leaching of potentially harmful chemicals (from the degrading plastic) to be in your juice. If you observe clouding of the juice or cracking/melting/clouding of the plastic, stop vaping it and throw out both the juice and the tank. Read the following link:

Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

Use safer pyrex glass or polypropylene (frosted) plastic tanks. There is no evidence that these flavors are harmful to vape, if you enjoy these flavors continue to use them in an appropriate juice attachment.

Last edited:

tyancey00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
st. Louis, Mo
i have been using cinnamon for about 9 months. I have swiched over to the pro tanks. They are glass and do not have an issue. My lungs are so much better than when i was smoking a pack and 1/2 of menthol cigs every day. The down side is that everything else now seems soooooooo bland. I have started adding some grape to the cinnamon to try and break the taste down a little. It is working.

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
I have no idea where you are getting Cinnamon Red Hot from that you can even inhale it. I got some from Mt Baker Vapor with 0 extra shots and while I LOVE the flavor and think they absolutely nailed the flavor of the candy perfectly.... I find it completely impossible to inhale. I have to keep the vapor in my mouth then blow it out. Any attempt to inhale that stuff burns my throat and causes coughing fits. I don't even want to know what +3 shots would be like...maybe a bit like inhaling molten lava perhaps? So in my personal experience I am going to have to say no, you probably should not inhale that. Unless of course you happen to enjoy having the lining of your esophagus peeled off by searing flames. In fact, I am shocked it hasn't completely melted your plastic tanks. That is one of the so called "tank cracker" juices. I have never tried the Hot Tamale flavor so cannot say about that one.

On the other hand we did get something called Atomic Fireball from Redneck Vaper's. That does taste pretty good on the inhale (pretty close to the Atomic Fireball candies) but seems completely flavorless on the exhale, like all of the flavor got absorbed in your mouth. That one seems fine to inhale.

I too was unable to inhale MBV's cinnamon red hots. I use Red Hot Lava from Volcano and it is great.

I forgot to add, as said above, MBV's cinnamon red hot destroys a plastic tank. No issues from Volcano's red hot lava in any tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: zee63

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
I huff and puff hot cinnamon like the Big, Bad Wolf. I use metal cartomizers, which have no issues at all with the fluid. I inhale it most of the time. The only problem I've experienced is when I'm chain-vaping it and get some fluid on my lips. If I'm distracted enough that it occurs repeatedly, my lips get numb spots and eventually a little sore. Even then, the next morning they're fine. It helps a lot to use a long drip tip mouthpiece to avoid this problem entirely.

By the way, a shot of very strong peppermint added to hot cinnamon is just awesome ;-)

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Here is a copy of the description of Red Hots flavor from the Purfumer' Apprentice' web site:

Cinnamon RedHots Flavor
Now in - Cinnamon RedHots Flavor
Cinnamon RedHots

Cinnamon RedHots

Cinnamon RedHots Flavor

water-soluble - reformulated - no PG
This is a "stripped-down" version of our cinnamon that contains mostly cinnamaldehyde and a touch of eugenol. It is more like the candy than true cinnamon. Cinnamaldehyde is the main molecule in natural cinnamon bark, and this molecule, like pure cinnamon oil, should not be stored in non-HDPE plastic.

* Note: cinnamaldehyde can vary from being slightly yellow to very yellow, and so there will be color variations with this flavor. Also, this flavor does not combine well with blends containing high levels of Vegetable Glycerin.

Ingredients:Natural/Artificial Flavor, Ethyl Alcohol

I personally vape this and it has done nothing negative to me health wise; it does eat plastic and certain types of "o" rings, metal cartos or Pyrex tanks, no problem...

Happy Vaping :toast:

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
No one can answer whether or not cinnamon flavors are without health risk....because no one knows for SURE yet, the potential health risks of inhaling vaper.

One thing most of us can agree on, is that it is FAR, FAR less harmful than cigarettes are. If you are comfortable, like most of us, with inhaling eliquid vaper, then I wouldnt worry about cinnamon flavors. I would NOT use plastic tanks (except for polypro) though, like others have mentioned.

Best of luck

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Is vaping cinnamon Red Hots and Hot Tamale safe?

I vaped a lot of Atomic Cinnamon with no side effects what so ev....wow....look at the way my hands look huge when I type. They look like big foot paws...hehehe, I'm never good be able to pick my nose now that my fingers are huge and hairy....look how shiny my mod is! um, sorry...with no side effects what so ever.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I bet you anything you can't eat a spoonful of cinnamon.

THAT is dangerous. If you try that you will end up inhaling concentrated amounts of powdered cinnamon which does not mix with moisture in the lungs well and can cause problems. I would not suggest anyone try that.

Zak Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Orange, California, United States
Here are the ingredients in the Cinnamon Extract I use:

Ceylon cinnamon, propylene glycol, natural cinnamon oil extract.

Comments on any health concerns????

I don't know where cinnamon oil extract falls, but I did see a post about how plant oils are a no no...

Sent via the guys that made Star Trek low tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread