Is vaping similar to hookah smoking in any way

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsunami987

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
Metro East STL
Actually, vaping is very similar to hookah "smoking". Hookahs use shisha, which is basically tobacco covered/soaked in molasses or a similar substance which contains various flavors and such, and of course... Some nicotine which has leeched into the mixture. It is put into a bowl and heated, in pretty much every case (have read about some experiments with heating coils, all failures) a coal is used to heat the mixture with some foil to separate the two. The mixture heats up and the non-tobacco substances vaporize. The difference is, though, the obvious use of tobacco that can easily scorch and pretty much burn. But still, the "smoke" is primarily vapor until that happens, and when it does it is very noticeably, as the tobacco used gives a terrible sensation once scorched. In addition, coals, especially quick lights, can give off nasty chemical odor and potentially harmful fumes if not prepared properly.

I obviously don't have to explain how e-cigs work, nor what is in the juice, but still... I have converted many a hookah smoker since it is fairly similar. The closest I imagine you'd come in the ejuice world to a good hookah session is some tobacco extract mixed with some fruity flavors. Only reason I know this is because I was an avid hookah smoker, and still do use mine on occasion, but nothing beats a good e-juice.

Edit: I forgot, glycerine is used in almost all modern shisha, as it is a good vapor producer with a low boiling point, obviously.

Last edited:

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
Kinda depends on your mod...lol...

stand1c.jpg

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
Actually, vaping is very similar to hookah "smoking". Hookahs use shisha, which is basically tobacco covered/soaked in molasses or a similar substance which contains various flavors and such, and of course... Some nicotine which has leeched into the mixture. It is put into a bowl and heated, in pretty much every case (have read about some experiments with heating coils, all failures) a coal is used to heat the mixture with some foil to separate the two. The mixture heats up and the non-tobacco substances vaporize. The difference is, though, the obvious use of tobacco that can easily scorch and pretty much burn. But still, the "smoke" is primarily vapor until that happens, and when it does it is very noticeably, as the tobacco used gives a terrible sensation once scorched. In addition, coals, especially quick lights, can give off nasty chemical odor and potentially harmful fumes if not prepared properly.

I obviously don't have to explain how e-cigs work, nor what is in the juice, but still... I have converted many a hookah smoker since it is fairly similar. The closest I imagine you'd come in the ejuice world to a good hookah session is some tobacco extract mixed with some fruity flavors. Only reason I know this is because I was an avid hookah smoker, and still do use mine on occasion, but nothing beats a good e-juice.

Edit: I forgot, glycerine is used in almost all modern shisha, as it is a good vapor producer with a low boiling point, obviously.

Your comments are right - but as a long time hookah smoker I disagree that hookah is

a lot like vaping" - but taste and experience are subjective

tsunami987

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
Metro East STL
Love that mod, by the way. But yeah the flavor CAN be similar, but most are fairly different. Peaches, specifically, for some reason seem really similar in both e-juice and shisha. The peach pie from goodprophets taste identical to starbuzz white peach. Haven't really seen much other similar flavors, although I am trying to create a Blue Mist copycat e-juice... That would be SO GOOOOD!

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Your comments are right - but as a long time hookah smoker I disagree that hookah is

a lot like vaping
" - but taste and experience are subjective

Well, perhaps a more accurate statement would be "A properly set-up and functioning hookah is, functionally, physically and experientially, operating a lot like vaping..."

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
No. A hookah is a multi-user thingy that burns tobacco, usually flavored.

No, that is the point I was trying to make. A PROPERLY SET UP and PROPERLY OPERATING hookah does NOT burn tobacco. It heats it up just enough to vaporize the flavor.

The fact that this is so rare as to almost be non-existant in most hookah bars and with most home-use hookah users is more of a comment on the skills of modern hookah users than an indictment of the actual device or process...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread