Isopropyl Alchol for cleaning atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Um I just use vodka

Guess the smart thing to do is too easy in this case.Thats all we need is a death or a hospital visit caused by this shedding even more negativity on e-cigs.Theres a great big warning label on bottles of Isopropyl alchol.

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. Exposure to high concentrations has a narcotic effect, producing symptoms of dizziness, drowsiness, headache, staggering, unconsciousness and possibly death.
Ingestion:
Can cause drowsiness, unconsciousness, and death. Gastrointestinal pain, cramps, nausea, vomiting, and ........ may also result. The single lethal dose for a human adult = about 250 mls (8 ounces).
Skin Contact:
May cause irritation with redness and pain. May be absorbed through the skin with possible systemic effects.
Eye Contact:
Vapors cause eye irritation. Splashes cause severe irritation, possible corneal burns and eye damage.
Chronic Exposure:
Chronic exposure may cause skin effects.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or impaired liver, kidney, or pulmonary function may be more susceptible to the effects of this agent.

Krusifuc

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2012
RI
Guess the smart thing to do is too easy in this case.Thats all we need is a death or a hospital visit caused by this shedding even more negativity on e-cigs.Theres a great big warning label on bottles of Isopropyl alchol.

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. Exposure to high concentrations has a narcotic effect, producing symptoms of dizziness, drowsiness, headache, staggering, unconsciousness and possibly death.
Ingestion:
Can cause drowsiness, unconsciousness, and death. Gastrointestinal pain, cramps, nausea, vomiting, and ........ may also result. The single lethal dose for a human adult = about 250 mls (8 ounces).
Skin Contact:
May cause irritation with redness and pain. May be absorbed through the skin with possible systemic effects.
Eye Contact:
Vapors cause eye irritation. Splashes cause severe irritation, possible corneal burns and eye damage.
Chronic Exposure:
Chronic exposure may cause skin effects.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or impaired liver, kidney, or pulmonary function may be more susceptible to the effects of this agent.

Yeah that sounds about right. I know Isopropyl (rubbing) alchohol is "denatured"... What about Ethyl alchohol? anything negative there?

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Nice thing about e-liquid geing alcohol soluble, the alcohol is also e-liquid soluble. Just drip some e-liquid in and blow it out, and all the alcohol will be gone.
    BTW the best way to clean an atomizer is to use e-liquid to clean it. Just flood the atty and blow the gunk out. When the e-liquid comes out the same color that it goes in the atty is clean.
    Yes, there really is a reason that my atties last a year or more, and I direct drip 99% of the time.

Last edited:

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Moncton, N.B. Canada
    I use 91% isopropyl alcohol about once a month when cleaning my Novas and ce2s. It's basically the only alcohol I have and Everclear is not available here.

I wash the wicks under warm running tap water and then let them soak in the alcohol. Then I put them in a glass and cover them with about an inch with distilled water above any metal part. I set a saucer on top of the glass and microwave everything for 4 minutes. The alcohol is flushed, diluted, and evaporated. Then I dry burn. This is probably over-kill for the cleaning but it works for me.

Again, this is for special cleanings when things are starting to wick slowly. Usually I just rinse the wicks with tap water and dry burn.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Way back when Everything seemed New, people were trying just about Everything to clean Attys.

One of the Methods was to soak Atty's in Diet Coke. The thinking was since Diet Coke is Acidic, Cheap and more Readily Available than PGA that it would be a good Choice. Results varied be it Spawned another idea.

And that idea was Soaking in White Household Vinegar.

Vinegar is Very Acidic. And anyone who has used Vinegar to Clean a BBQ Grille knows that it works Great to Dissolve Baked on Crud. So many people started Soaking their Atty's in Vinegar. The results were Very Good.

The only problem was that People couldn't get past the Idea that Vinegar would leave a Pickle Taste in an Atty. So Many never tried it. Even when users reported that there was no Aftertaste if the Atty was Thoroughly Rinsed After Soaking / Dry Burning. It just never really caught on.

I use Vinegar to soak CE2 before I Dry Burn them. It Greatly reduces the "gunk" build up. Which Great Reduces the Dry Burn time needed to clean Any Dry Burnable Wick.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I saw a youtube video where a guy used baking soda and vinegar. Is that a common way to clean an atty??

When you mix Baking Soda and Vinegar they react to form Carbonic Acid.

Unfortunately for the Atty, Carbonic Acid is Unstable and Breaks down Immediately into Carbon Dioxide and Water. So it may not be as Effective as just soaking in Plain Vinegar – Acetic Acid.

It looks Cool. But Plain Vinegar works Better.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2010
    WNY
    I've always used 91% Iso Alcohol to clean my attys. I soak them for at least an hour, blow them out, and leave them to sit for 24 hours untouched where they will have good air flow. The alcohol completely evaporates. NEVER soak your attys in Iso and use before the alcohol is completely evaporated. If you can smell it, DO NOT use it ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread