It 'as to be Asda-mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubberjohnny

Jan 25, 2009
Allong with us all I quickly became aware of the shortcomings of 901 batteries and soon moved on to various home made "wired" mods that used an external battery pack. However wired cigs are at best cumbersome and really not practical when out and about. Mods that incorporate Li-ion batteries obviously solve the problem but again size or cost seemed prohibitive. I followed the E-Turbo thread with interest and was impressed by the small size of the final mod.

Imagine my surprise when,looking for an emergency power pack for a mobile phone in Asda I found, for £3 a 4 times AAA power pack who's body appeared identical to the prototype E-Turbo. This unit is very easy to mod for either a mini or supermini and prvides at least one full day of heavy use between charges.It can run on either disposable or Ni-Mh batteries.

First remove the (supplied-disposable) batteries,unscrew the top plate and remove the connection jack complete with resistor and battery conector plates.
Re-fit the top plate and holding the unit lightly in a vice drill out the empty connector hole to 9mm(mini) or 10mm (s-mini).Exactly 25mm (center to center) to one side (on the curved shoulder of the unit) drill a 5mm hole.

Using a defunct battery remove the internals retaining only the brass atomiser connector and tube.Cut a 20mm length off the tube,refit brass connector to this having re wired both parts with multistrand wire.This will now fit into the plastic body of the unit, hold with a couple of dabs of eppoxy.De-solder and discard the original phone jack connector but retain and refit the resistor and use a "push to on" (5mm body) mini switch from Maplins to complete the circuitry. Used with 4 Ni-Mh re-chareable batteries it is certainly a real lightweight one hand use "Vape Monster" and all for about £5 (ex batts)

Rubberjohnny

Jan 25, 2009
Look at page 20 of the E-Turbo thread and the last set of pictures.That is the case you can buy at Asda for £3.
I have mounted the standard connector for a 901 rather than the universal shown and use a "push to on" switch rather than the rocker switch.I use re-chareable AAA Ni-Mh batteries from Maplin and a set is lasting 3/4 days between charge.Normal disposable batteries last 1/2 days.
I don't think I can post pics yet as I do not have enough posts.

Please excuse me for posting this reply on the E-Turbo thread by accident.I am a computer illiterate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread