itchy, prickly skin - fuzzy head - is it vaping or my diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinnes1974

Sep 1, 2017
hi guys, My first post here, have given up tobacco and been vaping for some 3 years now. 2 years of the small little puffers on quite high nic (18%), then a year or so ago, moved onto sub - ohm and am currently vaping 6% nic. I do vape quite a lot.

thing is, in last 6 months or so, i have been getting pins and needles or prickly - sometimes sensations which can be anywhere on body, it comes and goes, although mainly hands and feet. I am type 1 diabetic, and my Gp's all say that this is neuropathy and that must keep my blood sugar levels under better control, which of course is a good idea anyway. But neuropathy nearly always begins at the exremitites (hands and feet), not really all over the body

But i am wondering if it may have anything at all to do with vaping? I still get it in the morning after 10 hours of not vaping . I havent been able to give up vaping long enough to really test this out, I tried reverting to 0% nic, with as low a PG as i could, bt again, i only lasted 2 days at best before needing the nic.

anyone had any experience of this? The doctors may well be right regarding its my diabetes, but with so little knowledge of vaping long terms effects, I wonder???

cheers, Matt

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
hi guys, My first post here, have given up tobacco and been vaping for some 3 years now. 2 years of the small little puffers on quite high nic (18%), then a year or so ago, moved onto sub - ohm and am currently vaping 6% nic. I do vape quite a lot.

thing is, in last 6 months or so, i have been getting pins and needles or prickly - sometimes sensations which can be anywhere on body, it comes and goes, although mainly hands and feet. I am type 1 diabetic, and my Gp's all say that this is neuropathy and that must keep my blood sugar levels under better control, which of course is a good idea anyway. But neuropathy nearly always begins at the exremitites (hands and feet), not really all over the body

But i am wondering if it may have anything at all to do with vaping? I still get it in the morning after 10 hours of not vaping . I havent been able to give up vaping long enough to really test this out, I tried reverting to 0% nic, with as low a PG as i could, bt again, i only lasted 2 days at best before needing the nic.

anyone had any experience of this? The doctors may well be right regarding its my diabetes, but with so little knowledge of vaping long terms effects, I wonder???

cheers, Matt

I've not heard of it. It's more than likely your doctor is correct about neuropathy.

Take vitamin b12, sublingual... keep those levels up as well as keep your diabetes under control.. should find it helpful.

If you like, go back to low wattage vaping..

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think if you have diabetes and your sugar is not under good control, it's more likely to be that. I have some neuropathy thanks to medication I take, and it's actually improved, not worsened, since starting vaping. I theorize a) I'm on less of the med, now that I'm not smoking so heavily and the med I take is metabolized along the tobacco pathways in the liver, not nicotine alone and 2) I probably have better circulation now that I'm not smoking as much. I doubt it will ever go away completely, but I'm pleased at the improvement.

I might try vaping flavorless but still with nic, for maybe a week or so to see if you notice changes, as I guess some flavorings are heavy on the sweeteners, but still, I'd consult my doc first. I cannot imagine however that returning to tobacco due to not being able to vape would improve your health one whit. I do wonder about switching to Sub0hming and consuming more vapor might play a small role, but I'd think artificial sweeteners would only be a huge problem if your diabetes is extremely severe. Hence, trying unflavored?

I hope you get it figured out.

Anna

Marie77

Dec 16, 2017
I am new to this, sorry mistake.

cheers, Matt

Last edited:

Marie77

Dec 16, 2017
Hello, this is my first post. I am having blood sugar issues also, and that is why I am in this thread :)

I recently started vaping again to try to quit smoking. I did it a few times before for a short time.

Anyhow, I noticed I have a PG sensitivity. I do not have diabetes. I have a family member with diabetes, so I knew the exact symptoms. I was waking up to pee about 7 times at night after 3 weeks and my fingers were feeling prickly. He tested me with his blood sugar tester and it was very high.

I found a study saying it can increase your blood sugar. I also found this on breazy.com:

Sweeteners – many vape liquids contain an artificial sweetener in addition to the propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), and flavor extracts. The most common sweetener is derived from sucralose, which you may know by the trade name Splenda. While generally believed to be more benign than older artificial sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose can alter insulin responses and blood sugar levels. If these are areas of concern for you, monitor your levels as compared to before you started vaping and adjust your e liquid choices as needed. The good news is that all-natural monkfruit extracts are being explored as a more effective (not to mention less coil-gunking) alternative to sucralose, and may in the future overtake other sweeteners in strong dessert vapes.

I am currently looking for a place with 100% VG as well as a sweetener that might be okay for me or no sweeteners added, if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello, this is my first post. I am having blood sugar issues also, and that is why I am in this thread :)

I recently started vaping again to try to quit smoking. I did it a few times before for a short time.

Anyhow, I noticed I have a PG sensitivity. I do not have diabetes. I have a family member with diabetes, so I knew the exact symptoms. I was waking up to pee about 7 times at night after 3 weeks and my fingers were feeling prickly. He tested me with his blood sugar tester and it was very high.

I found a study saying it can increase your blood sugar. I also found this on breazy.com:

Sweeteners – many vape liquids contain an artificial sweetener in addition to the propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), and flavor extracts. The most common sweetener is derived from sucralose, which you may know by the trade name Splenda. While generally believed to be more benign than older artificial sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose can alter insulin responses and blood sugar levels. If these are areas of concern for you, monitor your levels as compared to before you started vaping and adjust your e liquid choices as needed. The good news is that all-natural monkfruit extracts are being explored as a more effective (not to mention less coil-gunking) alternative to sucralose, and may in the future overtake other sweeteners in strong dessert vapes.

I am currently looking for a place with 100% VG as well as a sweetener that might be okay for me or no sweeteners added, if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

Please go see your doctor.

Cheers
I

• Agree

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario

Try making your own juice. It's really pretty simple. 100% VG is pretty rare because the flavorings are PG. The flavorings are often as much as 30% of the juice, which is why 70% VG is about the highest you can go. However, you can order some 100% VG nicotine base, add a small amount of flavor and some water to thin it and be at 90% or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread