Itchy Skin, Rashes: PG Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadScientistVapor

Feb 7, 2010
New Hampshire
I did some research on PG today, and found that in a small portion of the population, it can cause dermatitis. I've been vaping since November and the last month my legs have become increasingly itchy. I thought I was allergic to my dog or something, than I thought maybe it had something to do with my e-cig. I'm pretty sure that I am mildly allergic to PG. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? Would switching to VG help?

lukemacneil

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2010
Uxbridge, Ma
www.lukemacneil.com
I did some research on PG today, and found that in a small portion of the population, it can cause dermatitis. I've been vaping since November and the last month my legs have become increasingly itchy. I thought I was allergic to my dog or something, than I thought maybe it had something to do with my e-cig. I'm pretty sure that I am mildly allergic to PG. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? Would switching to VG help?

My buddy at work is having similar problems. Says it gets much worse when he lays down. He's going to switch to VG for a bit to see if that clears things up.

lawnman3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
largo fl
i have that problem i work outside when i sweat it is very bad i try to mix vg and pg half and half it dosent get rid of it but its not near as bad try that and see what you think or try eco pure juices i have and it helps my problem alot ...lawnman3 try drewbacco half and half vg and drewbacco works for me just my opp lm3 :cool::cool::cool:

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I had the dry skin patches, itchy legs, bumps on my scalp, etc. for years before I started using ecigs. I just figured getting older sucked. When I got my first ecig I got the same feeling in my mouth, throat and lungs. My nails even started to peel. I put two and two together and switched to VG and got rid of all of my haircare, bodycare, makeup, handsoaps, everything with PG and PEG in it. I have felt a ton better. No more itching, rashes, it feels great.
There are some really good VG juices out there. That's all I've used for over a year now.

Reactions: DJALI1970

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Hmmmm. I don't want to make too much of this, but I have had the same thing for some time (I've e-smoked for two years). Itchy legs, particularly as I try to go to sleep. I'll watch this thread ...

I can tell you Bob, I've been having the same thing, starting in December. Itching behind the knees, itching and a rash developing on my arms at the bend of the elbow. And the rashes can get ugly looking.

I thought it was allergies to something else until I started poking around and found others experiancing the same thing.

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
I can tell you Bob, I've been having the same thing, starting in December. Itching behind the knees, itching and a rash developing on my arms at the bend of the elbow. And the rashes can get ugly looking.

I thought it was allergies to something else until I started poking around and found others experiancing the same thing.

Aloe vera gel is good for the dry elbows. I swear by the stuff.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
This is concerning, BigJim. We are among the most veteran of guinea pigs. I'll continue to watch this thread. Thanks for contributing.

I can give you info some right now. I am vaping with a 6 volt mod and the itching behind my knees started up again after a 2 week break. Not fun.

I think we found a problem here. :(

Sher

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
I have been vaping since April '09 and I am having intense itching, rashing and hives on my arms, chest, lightly on my shoulders and legs. I scratch in my sleep so my arms are a mess. Just as you said BigJim in the inside of my elbows also.

I didn't associate it with vaping, as I have only been doing this for a few months. It didn't start until I went to a 5-6 volt device and HV juice, which may just be a coincidence. I use PG and VG at 18-26mg.

It did get better in December when I quit all vaping and went back to cigarettes for a week. I take antihistamines for the itch.

I am going to go back to 3.7 only and try VG and Pg separately to see if I can isolate the cause.

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Here are the three problems I now associate with my two years of e-smoking:

1. Itching. Listed first only because that's what this thread is about. It becomes so severe at night that it can keep me awake for hours. This morning, for instance, I was up more than three hours past the usual sleep time, scratching most of the time.

2. Clear phlegm. Very concerning to me. I lost the smoker's cough when I quit cigs using snus. Six months later, I took up e-smoking. Three months after that, I had a slight cough. And this past year, I began regular coughing up of clear phlegm. It's very hard to clear my throat at night.

3. Cramps in my fingers and toes. Not leg cramps. Not side stitches These toe-curling, finger-spreading cramps began in the past two years and occur nightly.

I do believe some or all of these problems are related to inhaling PG/VG vapor.

pooper

Dec 13, 2009
austria
i am so glad i finally searched for info on my itching rash.
i use mostly vg! switched in december...but i just started using some new flavours!
arm pits, inside of elbow, behind the knees, in the crotch area...all the places where one sweats just a bit...a nice itchy rash. 8-o
i thought it was something i was eating even though i wasn't eating anything i haven't before. i even fasted for 3 days just to get it out of my system but didn't even think of stopping my vaping since i only vape in the evenings and not even everyday (almost every day, though). my rash continued to spread. it's now down my legs/thighs, all over my back and my arms. went to the doctor and had a nice, long discussion with him.
duh...flavours! vaping! my rash started when i started the new flavours from flavourart!
and antihistamines only helped a bit.

so. i'm back off the vaping for a few days to see if it starts to clear up.
of so, i'm then going to go to one flavour at a time, til i find the culprit.

Promise

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Sin City
So about 4 months into vaping (and about 3 weeks ago) I broke out in a severe case of hives over about 90% of my body and it lasted for about 6 days.

Wasn't sure what was causing it. It would seem to be pretty good during the morning hours and get progressively worse throughout the day.
Anything I would eat would set off another out break and I tell you it was bad.

So I really started thinking about it after this was occurring for a few days and did a bit of research.

I know PG breaks down as lactic acid in the system and lactic acid bacteria is responsible for fermentation and histamine production. So I was wondering if there could have been a connection? Could it be a general histamine intolerance causing the hives? A lot of food that I was eating and making this thing go bonkers over my body were naturally occurring high histamine foods.

So I cut off vaping for week, put myself on a histamine free diet. Over the course of the next 2 days it cleared up and went away completely. I mean it went from OH HOLY HELL SOMEONE SHOOT ME! to nothing.

About a week after it was gone I went to straight VG juices. On occasion I would still eat something with high histamine and notice a reaction in my body (sweating, flushed cheeks, numbness of tongue...) So I kept the histamine intake low and vaped VG. Now about 3 weeks later I can eat anything without a reaction but I am keeping it to a minimum just to be safe ;)

Not sure if this makes any sense, but my 2 cents and it worked for me :)

Also on the upside I lost like 10 pounds during those 2 weeks and my girlfriend hates me for it :D

Tuesday

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
USA

I started having intense itching and rashes after vaping for 3 months. I changed to VG and also I changed to a lower mg.This seemed to really help. I still have some problems with itching on my arms and legs and use Walgreens anti-itch cream, maximun strength : Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 2% and 0.1% Zinc Acetate. The same as Benadryl cream, it is just the Walgreens brand.
There is a possibility this has nothing to do with vaping but I do not tend to have skin problems. I also changed my laundry detergent. I had made no changes in my diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread