Itchy Skin, Rashes: PG Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
There are a ton of vendors now offering VG only. I haven't tried them yet but VelvetVapors.com looks really interesting because they identify so many things that can cause food sensitivity -- PG, gluten free, artificial colors, artificial flavors, vegan, Kosher, etc.

thanks so much for this site, definitely worth checking out:toast:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
This is just another thought....if you have positively identified an allergy then forget it but, itchy legs, with or without a rash can also be a circulatory problem. It is fairly common among athletes,specifically runners and also diabetics. So I'm wondering if maybe the whole issue of exactly how much nicotine we are ingesting when vaping might also be part of this problem? And yes,the buildup of lactic acid from vaping PG would most certainly cause aching joints and muscles. I experience both these problems to varying degrees...that is what is so weird and frustrating....some days it's no problem and others it about drives me insane! But there are so many darn variables...pollen,air quality etc. I have also wondered about the tiny amounts of solvents leftover from the extraction process of the nicotine itself??? Color shifting juices are an indication of the use of less than pharmacutical quality nicotine since the solvents left in industrial grade nicotine are what causes the color change after being exposed to oxygen.

Vapors Etc is a fairly new store that offers made to order VG juice. Unfortunately their flavorings contain PG...but they have told me they are researching flavors that contain no PG at all. So they are worth watching. I have tried their juice and like it very much. Plus they answer emails and seem happy to discuss things.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post here...it's an important issue and hopefully we can help each other all find a level of comfort without going back to smoking!!!

mianker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2010
USA
I am posting here only in case it may help someone else. jojogardener referred me to this thread after I had sent her a pm regarding PG allergic reactions.

Without going into a lot of details I will say I had random itches for the first 6 to 8 weeks or so of vaping. I am outdoors a lot and thought it was probably weeds or whatever that I had come into contact with. Not a big deal.

Then one day the mailman delivered a new PV and juices. I vaped quite a bit more than my norm to try the new juices out.....HUGE MISTAKE. When I went to bed it felt like my throat was closing shut, I could hardly swallow. I spent the night drinking water constantly and gargling soda water. In retrospect I should have gone to the hospital but it town is over 30 miles away and I probably wasn't thinking really clearly.

I had already read some threads regarding PG and knew some people could tolerate VG and not PG. Having been off analogs since 03/14/10 I was happy to try VG and it has been working well for me. A few days again I accidently vaped PG again and had a similar experience with it feeling like my throat was closing off although it was not nearly as bad as the first time.

So folks this was the way my body reacted to PG and we are all different, I was only hesitant to post it as I have seen no one else report this type of reaction to vaping.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
pretty sure i saw a thread someplace "can't clear my throat"
i too had to switch to all vg and i've been doing pretty well with ecopure.
my problem is extreme dryness in my nose and skin around my eyes. like i said i'm much better with ecopure but still need to remind myself to drink as much fluid as possible

mister kil

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
tacoma wa
So I dipped into PG for the first time about two weeks ago, (I have been vaping VG since February 19th, my start date) I first tried several 50/50 mixes the first day making juices with a friend. I used some of those for a few days and went back to my VG juices because the PG in them left my mouth feeling coated. Then about a week ago using some PG Regular flavored Dekang juice. What a bad mistake after a day of vaping that my taste buds went dead. I couldn't taste over 15 flavors of liquid. I had to mix a strong Tobacco absolute to plain VG to taste anything and for a couple of days that was even faint. I went on using VG and tried dripping PG a few days ago to see if it was the PG killing my taste buds, it was they became slightly dulled after the first 5 drags and continued to worsen, so I cleaned out that atty and have since been back to VG flavors.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
I have the red, scaly, itchy rash around my mouth and nose and also the same joint pain/ cracking bones that some other posters have mentioned. It seems to have diminished somewhat since I reduced the nicotine level I was using, however. So I'm wondering how much is PG related as opposed to too much nicotine intake? Certain flavours also cause me problems such as sore throat/phlegm/reduced breathing capacity and I have to avoid them. I have heard that tobacco smoking can rob your body of calcium (as well as other vitamins such as C) but whether the culprit is nicotine or tars I haven't been able to ascertain from the reports I've read.

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I am posting here only in case it may help someone else. jojogardener referred me to this thread after I had sent her a pm regarding PG allergic reactions.

Without going into a lot of details I will say I had random itches for the first 6 to 8 weeks or so of vaping. I am outdoors a lot and thought it was probably weeds or whatever that I had come into contact with. Not a big deal.

Then one day the mailman delivered a new PV and juices. I vaped quite a bit more than my norm to try the new juices out.....HUGE MISTAKE. When I went to bed it felt like my throat was closing shut, I could hardly swallow. I spent the night drinking water constantly and gargling soda water. In retrospect I should have gone to the hospital but it town is over 30 miles away and I probably wasn't thinking really clearly.

I had already read some threads regarding PG and knew some people could tolerate VG and not PG. Having been off analogs since 03/14/10 I was happy to try VG and it has been working well for me. A few days again I accidently vaped PG again and had a similar experience with it feeling like my throat was closing off although it was not nearly as bad as the first time.

So folks this was the way my body reacted to PG and we are all different, I was only hesitant to post it as I have seen no one else report this type of reaction to vaping.

I can really relate to your post. I am 20 minutes to the nearest town. Only I did end up at the doctor, who put me on an asthma inhaler that contained pg! I went back a couple weeks later in worse shape, so she put me on a nebulizer with pg in it! I ended up with an asthma attack that almost killed me. I really didn't think I was going to make it. She said 'boy, you really ARE allergic to pg!" (Ya think) I had to clean all of my cupboards and get rid of everything pg. Real pain in the ..... That's tons of stuff!! I feel better than I have in a VERY long time!! It is amazing!!

Gunjji

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
home.comcast.net
Read all the posts,

Cant say that I am allergic to anything, never have been, but I do think Im having a reaction to a PG overdose.
I thought I had Poison Ivy on my right leg. My shin, then the back of my knee was red and really itchy. I was using Clorox wipes to scratch it.
It wasnt until I noticed tiny bumps all over my right leg and my skin was tighter than my left leg, that I was thinking maybe its the PG. Ive been Vaping since Feb and this is the first time ever anything like this has happened.
But, for the past 2 weeks, Ive been at my desk here Vaping like mad!!! All day All night. I just happen to have a bottle of ECOpure and ULTRApure on hand.. Will be vaping those exclusively to see if my rash goes away.
The reason my skin seems tighter than my left leg, its because my leg from the knee to my ankle is swollen.

Thank You to everyone that posted in here with their experiences.

Last edited:

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
Just a side note about the rash – as I have only been vaping a week and a half –
About 2 months ago I got a rash like the one described – first behind knees and inner thighs then spreading – with intense itching – put off going to dermatologist and tried to treat myself with hydrocortisone cream and occasional benadryl. Went to a dermatologist who put me on prednisone and a much stronger cortisone cream and it cleared right up - he said it was an allergic reaction - but as yet have not figured out what -
Reading about all the suffering some of you are going through, I just wanted to point out if it gets too bad there is always prednisone -

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I've been on Prednisone for several weeks and whenever I taper down below 10mg I get hives and painful joints. I've also developed something called a "paradoxical reaction" to ALL antihistamines which causes an extreme and strange hyperactive feeling!

My Allergist wants me to stop taking Prednisone for at least a week so she can do some blood work, but I can't stand the misery from hives over 50% of my body. My hands are so swollen I can barely type this and that's just from pushing a shopping cart for half an hour yesterday - my lip from my PV and my thumb from the button on my eGo. I haven't slept much because of the itching and burning. It's not something I can live with much longer so I guess I have to consider PG and eliminating everything with PG from my life!!

Hives are not something new for me but were always controllable with antihistamines until recently. I suspect I've had a sensitivity to PG for many years and vaping just brought it over-the-top. So now I have to decide if I can make it through the night or if I'll have to take Prednisone tonight.

I appreciate everyone that has posted here and hope everyone is doing better.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
hey girl, no you are not alone! i have switched to vaping just ecopure but still get the occasional tightness, which can turn itchy, around my eyes.
leg cramps and sore muscles still present but get better if i remember my water intake. all in all, lots of drawbacks to vaping but trying to make it work,lol.

mrm143

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2009
Rhode Island, USA
I came into work yesterday morning, and when i put my hand on my mouse, i noticed it was all red and blotchy, not itchy or sore or anything.
Had a few nurses look at it (work for a health care company) It wasnt staff or blood poisoning. Stayed the same all day, tried some hydro cream, nothing.

Woke up today exactly the same, no worse no better
Been Vaping over a year now, and have not had any issues.

The ONLY thing i can think of is that i may have gotten a little bit on my beard that morning, and wiped it with my hand, in exactly the spot i have the rash, but I have done this MANY times before and not had a reaction...

I recently switched to MINT, from RY4

I dont THinK it's anything to worry about???

mrm143

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2009
Rhode Island, USA
lots of people whose symptoms didn't show up until way into vaping. one theory presented was that it builds up in your body until the threshold is reached.
good luck

It turned out to be nothing more then me wiping my mouth when I got some excess juice on it which transferred to my hand and has since gone away. It must of been the mint as it is a known irritant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread