The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

It's been forever...need a new battery

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Zealous, Apr 7, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Zealous

Zealous Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    Hi. It's been a while since I've been here. I haven't had a need for anything, vape wise, in quite a while. But now I need to replace my aw 18490 batteries, and I just saw a thread saying the aw factory was destroyed. So apparently I need a new suggestion.

I need something safe as I'm using Reo mini. Can someone suggest a brand please?

2. Mordacai

Mordacai Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Hello @Zealous, that may prove difficult indeed. Hopefully @Mooch will be able to help.

3. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    Hopefully. It was very disappointing to learn that the aw 18490s were no longer being made since these were really good batteries for that brand, performance wise. Hopefully someone will suggest another that they have faith in. No t really interested in blowing my face off with my mech and a crap battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mordacai

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    No worries there @Zealous, totally understandable.

Just that 18490 cells have become hard to source decent ones of, there's a few questionable ones on the market that I myself wouldn't trust unless doing high ohm MTL style vaping only.

Could I ask your vaping style please?

5. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    Ok...so I've also been looking at alternatives and have learned many things, most not pleasant. First, Reo Mods has closed down. This was really sad news. Second, I also checked about efest 16500s and I can't seem to find a source with these in stock. I don't like these as an alternative, but I read that they are the only brand making this size. If that's inaccurate then hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

6. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    Hm, I normally build a 1.7 coil, so I'm not sure if that's high ohm per se, but not sub ohm.

7. Mordacai

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    The, that's high ohm @Zealous. So at least you're somewhat safer, as you won't be pulling a lot of amps from a battery.

Do you use an RDA or an RTA?

8. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    I use a Reo so...can a person use an rta with a reo? An rda is what I use, specifically a single coil.

Man, I totally feel like a newbie again lol.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Sorry, I have no source to recommend for 18490’s. No 18490’s to recommend either.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    That's what I expected after reading a conversation in a different thread on this subject.

11. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    Ok, so as an alternative I'm considering the vandy vape pulse x (not sure if there's multiple versions but the one I'm looking at is 80w). I know it takes an 18650 battery, but how do I know if it needs a button top or flat? it didn't say i the specs and I can't seem to find that info.

edit, ok so no it isn't the 80w one (i was confused as I had that one on another tab). It says fully mechanical, so I guess that to mean exactly that. Still unsure on whether it needs button or flat top batteries.

12. Punk In Drublic

Punk In Drublic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    There are currently 2 versions of the Pulse regulated squonk mod. First was the Pulse 80 which allowed 18650 and 20700 batteries. The second was the Pulse X, which was just a slight revision. This allows 18650/20700 and 21700.

The original Pulse 80 had an output of 80 watts, but through a firmware update this was boosted up to 90 watts. The Pulse X came from the factory with a 90 watt output.

Both are the same chip, and identical dimensions, Pulse X just allows for the 21700 sized cell. Rumors of a new Pulse being released. No details as of yet

Button top batteries are rarely used with modern devices. The Pulse (either model) uses flat top. I would choose a 21700 cell, higher capacity, longer run time and higher CDR if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you. I don't know if you saw my post after I just edited it. But the one I was actually looking at said fully mechanical. So then I take that to mean unregulated. Is this accurate? I have read that some that are calling themselves fully mechanical do have some regulation, but it's not controlled by the user. Anyway, The battery information you mentioned would work with this model too I guess. Correct?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas

15. Punk In Drublic

Punk In Drublic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I saw Pulse X and commented on that - the Pulse X (or 80) is a regulated device.

The Pulse BF is the mechanical mod. It will accept 18650 and 20700 flat top batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
  17. Mordacai

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    So Squonking then @Zealous, only know of Reos mods in mention only as a bit before my entry into vaping.

Dovpo Topside SQ looks quite nice for a higher end option.
    Topside SQ - Buy Product on Shenzhen Dovpo Technology Co., Ltd

But for a bargain basement option, Thunderhead Creations Thunder Storm seems a reasonable option and it's less than $25 at fasttech when using MAP code at checkout.
    Thunder Storm BF Kit - Powered by Thunderhead Creations

Both can use a single 21700 cell type or an 18650 with an adapter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I have used the Efest 18500 batteries. At 1.7 ohms they should be safe. My thing with the Efest is 1. the battery wrappers get torn easily so I frequently ended up rewrapping them and 2. The batteries do not hold up very long (about a year for me). Otherwise they were fine.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    If I were looking for a dependable 18490 / 18500 today I would get the Keeppower IMR 18500 from Illumn. I looked around and couldn't find a review on these I trust, but IMO Keeppower has always had good batteries and I've been buying my vape batteries from Illumn for years because they are one of the suppliers I trust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Zealous

Jan 20, 2012
    Texas
    thank you guys so much for the helpful info. I picked up another mod today and I'm also looking at getting a regulated something squonky (so many products to check out) so I can have one of those too. I did get the efests, though I'm not confident about those. I may also get the keeppower and see how they do. I love my Reo and don't want to stop using it for lack of batteries. Oh the irony, my mod can survive being run over by a vehicle, but still can't work because there's no batteries for it. Totally silly. I'm just happy there are some reasonable alternatives to consider (though likely not as durable. hopefully that won't have to be tested). Most appreciated everyone. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.