• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

It's Offical On November Ballot - FL Constitutional Amendment #9 - YEA or NAE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
FYI:

Okay it's official, there is a FL Constitutional Amendment on the November ballot that we will need to heavily consider to either prevent or allow Off Shore Drilling and Ban vaping Indoors Workplaces . . . It will also, "permits more restrictive local vapor ordinances."

Amendment 9, Prohibits Offshore Oil and Gas Drilling; Prohibits vaping in Enclosed Indoor Workplaces, would tether a ban on oil and gas drilling in state-owned waters with a proposal to add vaping to the ban on smoking indoors.

Initiative Information

.​

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Don't get it @Uncle. How's this on the ballot at all. It was tabled in committee back in May as I recall (and I got no further updates of the official registry). Is this more of the prevalent "agitation" we're seeing from top to bottom?

Proposal 0065 (2017)

Curious also how it's even possible for them to piggy-back such on article on a constitutional amendment unless the FLC actually provides for it.

Things in America are getting redic.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Offshore drilling goes with vaping indoors in no one's mind. It's like a man needs a woman like a fish needs a bicycle. I never understood that saying, I'm afraid. Fish don't even have the OPTION of pedaling there are several problems with that analogy and it makes me mad every time I mean I'm like, "Just be clear! Just be independent!"

That saying actually makes me feel like I need a "man" to decode it for me, if anything at all. I'm like "Complex analogy, it must be math or something! I better ask this random dude on the street here."

I mean I know fish don't NEED anything, but I was under the impression that fish don't even know they have NEEDS at all they're not very complex entities as far as I could tell. We did have one fun fish for a few years who was always leaping out of his tank so aggressively that we had to put a screen on it, and then he got large enough that he dislodged the screen and we came home to dead fish on the carpet. That's the only fish I thought had much personality but most of them aren't finding nemo material, frankly.

Perhaps that's it. It's a sideways dig a dudes, only the way it's stated (order wise) it's like a sideways dig at women for being dumb, exactly like fish. Women just need to be fed and watered, they shouldn't have access to transportation and you better put a screen on the cage.

I hate this country sometimes and that vote is going to suck. I'm glad I'm not voting it because I might vote for the offshore drilling.

Anna

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Offshore drilling goes with vaping indoors in no one's mind. It's like a man needs a woman like a fish needs a bicycle. I never understood that saying, I'm afraid. Fish don't even have the OPTION of pedaling there are several problems with that analogy and it makes me mad every time I mean I'm like, "Just be clear! Just be independent!"

That saying actually makes me feel like I need a "man" to decode it for me, if anything at all. I'm like "Complex analogy, it must be math or something! I better ask this random dude on the street here."

I mean I know fish don't NEED anything, but I was under the impression that fish don't even know they have NEEDS at all they're not very complex entities as far as I could tell. We did have one fun fish for a few years who was always leaping out of his tank so aggressively that we had to put a screen on it, and then he got large enough that he dislodged the screen and we came home to dead fish on the carpet. That's the only fish I thought had much personality but most of them aren't finding nemo material, frankly.

Perhaps that's it. It's a sideways dig a dudes, only the way it's stated (order wise) it's like a sideways dig at women for being dumb, exactly like fish. Women just need to be fed and watered, they shouldn't have access to transportation and you better put a screen on the cage.

I hate this country sometimes and that vote is going to suck. I'm glad I'm not voting it because I might vote for the offshore drilling.

Anna

Just happened to notice this because I always believed that FL has been pretty faithful to process. But I should know better when they hoodwinked Dade County back in the 90's with a constitutional amendment increasing tolls used ultimately to build a turnpike extension in Broward (Sawgrass) when the Constition prescribed collecting revenues in one county to use elsewhere.

That most delicious of all privileges — spending other people's money.
—John Randolph of Roanoke

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Don't get it @Uncle. How's this on the ballot at all. It was tabled in committee back in May as I recall (and I got no further updates of the official registry). Is this more of the prevalent "agitation" we're seeing from top to bottom?

Proposal 0065 (2017)

Curious also how it's even possible for them to piggy-back such on article on a constitutional amendment unless the FLC actually provides for it.

Things in America are getting redic.

Well - You are correct it was "tabled" for awhile back then when it was first considered. So - I don't get it either, but it has happened. IMHO - They have combined it with a amendment that actually should pass. Matter of fact, there are 13 Amendments in all, but they will NEED a 60% majority to pass . . . Here is a list of all the FL Constitutional Amendments on the November Ballot this year:

https://dos.myflorida.com/media/699824/constitutional-amendments-2018-general-election-english.pdf

Read More Here:

Constitutional Amendments - Division of Elections - Florida Department of State

Constitution Revision Commission

Poll confirms ‘voter fatigue’ fears over 13 constitutional amendments on November ballot

BTW: Here is Fl State Consitution as it stands now: The Florida Constitution - The Florida Senate

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Simple...don't try to be Californians. Vote for the drilling. Let the Cali people be the crazy eco-freaks and Floridians be just normal Florida-crazy.

Disclaimer: I grew up in Florida (Tampa Bay) during my early childhood...glad I got out when I did.

I felt that way too 'till I realized as I grew older just how much a paradise it was.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Well - You are correct it was "tabled" for awhile back then when it was first considered. So - I don't get it either, but it has happened. IMHO - They have combined it with a amendment that actually should pass. Matter of fact, there are 13 Amendments in all, but they will NEED a 60% majority to pass . . . Here is a list of all the FL Constitutional Amendments on the November Ballot this year:

https://dos.myflorida.com/media/699824/constitutional-amendments-2018-general-election-english.pdf

Read More Here:

Constitutional Amendments - Division of Elections - Florida Department of State

Constitution Revision Commission

Poll confirms ‘voter fatigue’ fears over 13 constitutional amendments on November ballot

BTW: Here is Fl State Consitution as it stands now: The Florida Constitution - The Florida Senate

If this is the law, then we are lawless. Far be it for the Sun-Sentinel to report it (the breach of process).

p.s. None of your links are live to me.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Looks like this "bundling amendments" is being challenged:
Florida Supreme Court asked to block constitutional amendments

Thanks puff. What the hell happened to Florida's sunshine laws? We are seeing things the likes of which I would never have imagined (except I unfortunately do).

"The Supreme Court gave the state until 5 p.m. Monday to reply to the petition."

Note that the Chair, Brecht Heuchan, of the drafting comm which tabled in May is also the co-sponsor of both the anti-vaping and anti-drilling measures. Now of course in a glut of oil from domestic production we naturally are overwhelmed with oil co's trying to drill here. That's why the funny papers are filled with histrionic headlines on the topic. So this has nothing to do with vaping. Nada, I tell you. By the by, this guy's on the Ethics and Elections comm as well. All the doorstops. Can you beat that?

It's clear to me we do need a constitutional amendment — that the CRC abide by the same public disclosure and access requirements as any other committee. My reasoned expectation is that they are bound, simply out of order and absent the authority.

Then this is just another effort just like at the fed level to skirt the need for lawful definition which would impossibly equate vaping with smoking. Such efforts have failed in FL in the past. This however would set a constitutional benchmark negating the state legislature's preemptive authority, at least on this aspect of tobacco issues. And in practice, relegating potentially an unfettered authority to whom? Every and any jurisdiction right down to your condo board? Who can predict what ultimate law might ensue to conflate the private vs. communal property interest.

Now to find out how this plays out going forward. There was a time long ago when I was more familiar with FLSC's procedures. These days any help or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Further to my position above, some details here…

"Amendment 9 — Prohibits Offshore Oil and Gas Drilling; Prohibits Vaping in Enclosed Indoor Workplaces."

"Anstead, who served on the Supreme Court 1994-2009, on Tuesday filed a petition with the court for a writ of ‘quo warranto,’ a court action against government officials to demand they prove their authority to perform a certain action — in this case, against Secretary of State KenDetzner, Florida’s “chief election officer.”

Former Supreme Court justice challenges constitutional amendments
http://floridapolitics.com/archives/271727-supreme-court-amendments

Where has ethical government gone?

GBY Honerable Judge Anstead.

p.s. Still searching for news or conduit regarding the answer to the subject petition. Any info would be appreciated here.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Someone needs to show the entirety of the Florida population the recent UK Government report on E-cigarettes

Florida population is rather tolerant generally. And I've always vaped freely here most anywhere with due regard. So I had hopes early on it would become the next Cali, even a broader expression of the vape lounge experience. But you're right. Instead, most don't know that EPA, CDC, ad nauseum have pretty much conceded that there's no ambient risk to vaping. There are just too many pro's smokin the fable in public view.

As to vapers, we need to stop walkin around as if we were criminals. To have choice discredited, demeaned and denied by our silent absence where we should defend the right and principle of property. There's no stash or bunker impervious to the devious ambitions of the wicked.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Maybe they're smarter than we think. Maybe vaping outside keeps the gators away
Kappa.png

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
And it's going to the vote this way - what a crock.
Constitutional Revision...
CR Amendment 9 Environment Bans offshore oil and gas drilling and vaping in enclosed indoor workplaces

I have always been 'green' and mindful of ecology...but this one is a big fat NO.

Let all of your Florida friends and family know about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread