IVP2 50watt (anyone know what battery comes in these?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Cunningham

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I've had my IVP2 for awhile now and I can't tell if the battery's life has gone down maybe a 3rd in longgevity, or if I'm just noticing it needing to be charged much more in comparison to my newer istick 50w.

I'm guessing it's about half if the istick is 4400mah. But I was wondering if after 8-12 months it would be worth finding out what's actually in my IVP2 and if it's worth $10 replacing the battery; maybe there's a better one that would add a few hours of life and more power.

Anyone know the specific battery that comes with them? I searched all over and couldn't find any thing in descriptions other than "accepts a single 18650." And if it would be replacing what would be ideal for .5ohm vaping around 25w?

I saw in other threads mods with built in batteries should last 1-2 years, and by that time the mod will probably be outdated anyway, but right now I only am using the IVP2 50w and Istick 50w so if an upgrade for $10 would keep it going longer it might be worth it.

(When I use the IVP2 throughout the day it usually goes fully dead and needs charging twice, and the istick lasts about 2 days; so maybe about right but it does seem to die a little quicker, have used nothing but sub-ohm .5-.6 coils on both since new, 18-25w power)

I know I could just open it up and see but with my luck i'd break it! And for a $10 battery that $10 could go toward another $50 50w istick. But I'm planning on getting another istick anyway and the ivp2 would be a nice back up.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
the IPV2 uses replaceable 18650 batteries. take off the back and replace with something like an lg he2 or he4 samsung 25r mxjo or sony vtc 4 or 5...the nice thing about the mods that run on a single (or double) 18650 is that when the battery quits charging you can replace the cell in a couple minutes as opposed to having to buy a completely new device...... side note the above mentioned batteries are all 20 amp 2000+ mah...probably a good safe place to be....and yes the would have about half the run time of something thats 4400 mah

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I bought mine when the IPV2 first hit the market. I've run mainly VTC5s in it, 2600mah, 20-30amps, though in a pinch when out and about and the battery got low, I've put a spare VTC4 2100mah 30amp in there until get home to recharge the VTC5. Mainly any battery IMR or IMR/Hybrid 20amps CDR or higher is recommended, like stated above VTC4 for 30watts plus output, blow 30watts, LG HE2/HE4, Samsung 25R, MXJO, MNKE, Orbrtonic SX30, even an AW IMR 20a will work.

Will Cunningham

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
North Carolina, USA
it doesn"t come with a battery probably has what ever the shop you bought it from threw in it.

Something seems weird here... As Rex said, the IPV2 does not have a built in battery... Any high drain 18650 like the ones listed above will do. Just unscrew the two small screws on the back and pull the battery out.

Do you mean the iStick?

Oh sorry, I meant the IVP2's battery it came with, not built in :)

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!

Reactions: Cullin Kin

Will Cunningham

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I've replaced my IVP2 battery with a Sony VTC5. I was surprised to find out the one that was in there was only a 10a! Here it is, the PVTSO Elite 3100mah (sure doesn't seem to be 3100mah, I would have guessed closer to 2100mah based on battery life) - PVTSO Elite IMR 18650, 3100mAh Battery, Flat Top

Kind of scary I've been using this with a sub-ohm tank for months. Only 10a continuous discharge. At least I've only been using a .6ohm coil at around 20w (mainly the Kanger Subtank and I keep it at 18w-20w; for some reason other .6ohms I stay at around 25w). Glad I never tried a .2ohm coil with it!

Thanks again for the recommendations, I'm very glad I switched :D Always know your battery, especially with subohm coils!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I've replaced my IVP2 battery with a Sony VTC5. I was surprised to find out the one that was in there was only a 10a! Here it is, the PVTSO Elite 3100mah (sure doesn't seem to be 3100mah, I would have guessed closer to 2100mah based on battery life) - PVTSO Elite IMR 18650, 3100mAh Battery, Flat Top

Kind of scary I've been using this with a sub-ohm tank for months. Only 10a continuous discharge. At least I've only been using a .6ohm coil at around 20w (mainly the Kanger Subtank and I keep it at 18w-20w; for some reason other .6ohms I stay at around 25w). Glad I never tried a .2ohm coil with it!

Thanks again for the recommendations, I'm very glad I switched :D Always know your battery, especially with subohm coils!

Really does not matter.
Same with the post higher up recommending Batteries for 30w or less.

This is a Regulated mod with built in protection. It handles power output through Boost circuitry and has voltage limited output.
You cannot overload or under power a decent regulated mod. It will simply refuse to fire.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
The IPV comes with replaceable batteries. You must of just been charging with the USB cord and did not realize this. With replaceable battery mods, I always have a least 2 batteries so I can change them out on the fly. I don't like the built in battery mods because sometimes I am not near a charge port and if I run out of power I have to wait for it to charge or stay tethered to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread