The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by Katdarling, Jun 11, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. englishmick

englishmick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Well I just made another coil. Set the temp to 405 and set to SS. Hit fire and I got a blazing hot drag for a second and it went dead again. Guessing I blew another coil.

There's too much going on that I don't understand. Like why it sometimes asks if it is a new coil, and sometimes not. What does max watts mean. What does lock resistance do.

I need to do some reading and get familiar with all this stuff before I try again. If I made a third coil and it blew I would probably throw my SS wire in the trash and give up on TC. There's a long thread somewhere. I'll check it out.

cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    The invisible text seems to happen if you have ECF mode set to dark and someone tries read it in another mode. I set mine from dark to ECF so hopefully you can read this one.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jumpin' In...

Jumpin' In... Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Just out of curiosity, what atty/tank are you using with what gauge and kind of wire?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    It's a Lemo Drop. I used 28 SS, 7 wraps on 3mm. It came out around 0.9. I normally use 28 Kanthal, 6 wraps on 3mm. Someone said to use the same coil with SS as you would with Kanthal and expect lower resistance so that's what I did. But same as with my first problem of not being able to get into the material change option, I think I'm just missing something really obvious due to my lack of knowledge of DNA and TC.

I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Um, I think reading up on TC would be good, but also, maybe your next build, go to a good vape shop if you have one and get them to check it for you? Building can be a learning curve and "flaming atomizer" might be a hard one to diagnose over the internet although believe me, we will TRY.

I know you were worried about your atomizer, so maybe there IS something going on, that a good vape shop employee might spot.

What are you using for your wick by the way? Cotton or rayon? What type?

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jumpin' In...

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Got some stuff to do, but I’ll try to get back to you soon.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jumpin' In...

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    In the meantime, the first thing I suggest is that you run your Lemo with your stainless steel build in regular power mode and note your preferred watt setting. You’re eventually going to set your max power in TC mode to something slightly higher than that - maybe 5 watts or so. You don’t NEED to do that, but that would help to avoid those massive hits you’re getting when something goes awry.

Are you using SS316L?

• Like Like x 2
  8. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    My mistake was not having the right profile loaded. On mine, profile 3 was TC using SS316. When I loaded that profile, all was well. I set Profile 3 using the buttons.
    And that is the extent of my "knowledge".

• Like Like x 3
  9. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    OK. That makes sense. I figured all I needed to set was temp and SS. But since something is going wrong there having a limit on the amount of watts it puts out would at least stop me blowing coils.

I started looking through a long thread called Explain TC to Old Farts or some such, but so far it's just people going back and forth about why they think TC is a good thing or a waste of time. Do you know of any threads or blogs with general information on how TC works?

Yes, I have SS316L.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I don't think TC posts will help. I think this is a DNA kind of problem and there you will find your answer. I will notify @Bronze, he knows stuff.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jumpin' In...

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Also, you might search the forum to see if people have successfully run the Lemo in TC mode. TC needs solid connections everywhere and some tanks/atomizers - especially some older ones - are not the best at achieving that (e.g. Kayfun 4). I have a Lemo Drop, but I’ve never tried using it in TC mode. I stopped using it because of its fill and airflow systems. I can find and dust it off if necessary, tho.

Sorry, I know there are threads here, but I can’t point you to one off-hand. I went through the same thing you’re going through, so hang in there! If you’re like me, once you get it you won’t be able to go back.

Also, I should note that TO ME the stock SS profile included on my devices runs a bit hot. There are others that can be installed with Escribe (I favor the one from djlsb). So on your next try, start lower - say at 300 degrees or even 280 - and work your way up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Bronze

Bronze ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    I got mine done fairly quick and also felt VERY lucky. It certainly wasn't due to skill of any kind.

And I thought you were just shy.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jumpin' In...

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Ok. I’m no expert, but let me take a shot at this. The experts, who know more than I ever will, hang out here:

Evolv-ing Thread

The resistance (ohms) of some, if not all, wire materials changes with temperature. A TC device/mod reads the changes in resistance and uses those changes to estimate the current temperature of the coil. Different wire materials change resistance at different rates, so different algorithms are used to calculate temperature. These are called “Profiles” in DNA devices.

Try this on your next go around, after you’ve determined your preferred power mode wattage:

- Use Escribe to update your software. Download Escribe from the Evolve website, plug in your Jac, unpack and launch Escribe and follow the instructions.
    - Set your max TC power wattage. I’m guessing you’re somewhere around 14-18 watts in VW mode. If so, set max tc power to 20-25 watts.
    - let your tank cool to room temperature, then put it on your Jac and lock your resistance at its cold reading.
    - unlock the mod and select the stock SS316 profile
    - start low (maybe 280°F) and work your way up. Watch to make sure you don’t pop out of SS TC mode, back into power mode.

Hope this will get you started. There is a function on Escribe that you can use to test the stability of your atomizer if it’s necessary, but I’d just try it first.

• Like Like x 4
  14. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Appreciate your taking the time with this stuff. Think I'll download Escribe first and start poking around.

I made a third coil. Turned out on the second coil both legs had snapped off, right after they left the coil. I noticed the negative leg was very close to the positive block, maybe heat could have made it sag a fraction and short out. And I bent the legs with needlenose pliers so I guess I could have nicked them. This is my first go around with SS so I may be messing something up with the coil.

I checked my Jac and the display said 405F and 316, which I guess stands for SS316L. The booklet doesn't have much detail, no mention of max watts for example. Escribe should help.

Meanwhile I'm using the 3rd coil on another mod at 8W and it's great. Slowly increasing the watts. Haven't had the nerve to put it on the JAC yet in TC. Maybe I'll try a SS coil in a Kayfun and see if that works.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jumpin' In...

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Oh yeah - I forgot about the weird post connections on the Lemo. Are you using the holes? My Tobeco Kayfun Mini v3 clone works fine with TC, but my Tobeco Kayfun 4 clone is touch and go.

• Like Like x 1
  16. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I'm using the screws not the holes. I have the legs coming off the bottom of the coil so they are very close to the posts, but I've never had a problem with that before.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jumpin' In...

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Ok, well let us know how it goes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I'm using rayon. I made the coil the same way I always made Kanthal coils. I may have done something wrong with the coil though. Or messed up the Evolv settings. Could be something wrong with my new Jac, but user error seems a lot more likely. :(

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I downloaded Escribe. My preheat temp was set to 75W for 1 second. I fired it up and blew my third coil. The Escribe monitor showed the temp going off the chart with some red lines. Don't know Escribe yet so it didn't mean much to me. Could hitting my coil with 75W cause it to break? Would the chip cut off the power during the preheat stage if it got too hot?

I set up a profile with temp of 8W and preheat temp of 15. Have to wait until tomorrow to try it because it's late. Have to make another coil tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jumpin' In...

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Not sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised. That’s a lot of power going into a skinny wire.

Don’t use preheat at all myself, I figure the max power limit should be able to take care of the ramp up.

• Like Like x 2